Post-Game Talk: [GM48] Canucks lost to Blues in OT | 3-4 (Suter x3) | Swiss Army Knife

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Pettersson - one of those nights were he was sloppy with the puck and mentally half in the game. Had little bursts down and then but was more likely to rush the puck into traffic, make a weak pass and dangerous lateral pass or lose the puck along the boards. Think it is becoming more evident that he is best as a winger. For this team to suceed they need Pettersson to be better than this. Real up and down season to date.

Hmmm, can you elaborate as to why you think Pettersson is best as a winger? I happen to think the exact opposite. Just curious what I may have missed.

Boeser - ends up with 2 assists in another very mediocre preformance. Had more than half the net to put the puck away on one occasion and somehow misses. (as did Miller) Any decent sniper easily scores that. Also lousy, late coverage on one of the goals. Overall Boeser is a pretty average offensive player who is benefitting from the work of Hughes, Miller and, to an extent, Pettersson. See now that if you put a journey man like Suter in that position, he starts scoring (plus play way better defensively.)

Boeser's "mediocre" towers over what Suter can do, all told. Over the last 300~ games, Boeser has produced at .79 P/GP clip. That's 83rd amongst all forwards (1st line). What's more, he ranks 70th in EVPs over that same span...

It's one loss. A lot of players didn't play up to their level.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Three-on-three OT was exciting when it was novelty and teams were still figuring it out. But that was a long time ago.

Now it resembles a game of keep-away on the backyard pond, with minutes taken off the clock where teams just pass it around in neutral zone. They've basically wrung the life out of it.

How to fix it? Maybe once you enter the offensive zone, you can't carry back out into the neutral zone. And it would result in an instant neutral zone faceoff. Or maybe a basketball-style shot clock once you get into the offensive zone.

One thing is for certain. The NHL rules committee needs to go back to drawing board on OT.

Honestly, they’ve tried pretty well everything and there are always hordes of fans who are vocally unhappy. You’re better off going back to ties for a couple years to remind fans how bad it used to be so they beg for 3v3.

• Love
Reactions: Indiana and B-rock

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
The Blues PDO this game is unsustainable!!!!

:cool:
I came to see if some anti PDO posters would be here talking about puck luck.
What is he supposed to do, not get illegally taken to the ice? It was a bullshit play from a bullshit player, no need to read into it further
There is a antiPetey thing going on here. Probably mostly because he has not resigned.

I was in the section in the corner where Petey got crosschecked and it looked real live tbh.
It was.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
With the Bruins and Jets both losing tonight, the single point was enough to move in the Canucks into first in P% as well as total points.

On another note the league needs to go back to ties and and 5v5 overtime, or at least back to 4v4. This 3vs3 garbage has got to go, it's terrible to watch and has no relevancy to actual hockey.
They had pressure to have a 'winner' of each game, even if it's a gimmicky 3 on 3 or Shootout. I suspect this pressure is from gambling, bettors hate ties.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Honestly, they’ve tried pretty well everything and there are always hordes of fans who are vocally unhappy. You’re better off going back to ties for a couple years to remind fans how bad it used to be so they beg for 3v3.
I'm not sure what you mean. The three-on-three OT was adopted by the NHL rules committee in June of 2015 for the 2016 season. And I'm not aware of a single rule change in the eight years since.

Some teams seem content to take their chances with the shootout, and just rag the puck. It's not as bad when an Eastern Conference team plays a team in the Western Conference. Then the extra point doesn't affect the conference standings and teams just 'go for it'.

But in OT games within a division, OT is rapidly becoming tedious and repetitive. So no, the NHL hasn't 'pretty well tired everything'. In fact they've actually tried 'nothing'.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I'm not sure what you mean. The three-on-three OT was adopted by the NHL rules committee in June of 2015 for the 2016 season. And I'm not aware of a single rule change in the eight years since.

Some teams seem content to take their chances with the shootout, and just rag the puck. It's not as bad when an Eastern Conference team plays a team in the Western Conference. Then the extra point doesn't affect the conference standings and teams just 'go for it'.

But in OT games within a division, OT is rapidly becoming tedious and repetitive. So no, the NHL hasn't 'pretty well tired everything'. In fact they've actually tried 'nothing'.

Yeah we could try over and back rules. I think it would work, until coaches find a way it doesn’t and then fans will complain all over again.

Right now we are in a points system that rewards conservative play. I think that’s more the root of the issue.

Reactions: Indiana

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019

MULTIPUCK!!!!!

• Love

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
I didn’t think the play in OT was a penalty, Schenn basically pushed Pettersson over and Pettersson flopped. Stay on your feet.

Never wear those shiny helmets ever again. Hockey gods punished them for their hubris.

Most of the players weren't so jazzed about them either.
They’re not even the same colour as the jerseys, looks awful.

Reactions: quat

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Absolute BS no call on the OT goal. Team controlled much of the game but just enough glitzs to allow St. Louis to stay in the game. Give Canucks credit for real push in the third.

Good

Suter - put in a offensive situation and came through. Shows how getting to the net is so important. Misssed a few chances lately but at least he getting them and showed in this game he can convert.

Hughes - out of this world. Willed the team back in the game and frankly carried them for much of the game. Makes one great play after another. Heart and soul of the team. Absolutely the captain instead of Pettersson. To be the best you've got to want it as much as Hughes does. Hopefully shoulder doesn't tighten up - if so an excuse to miss the all star game and take a rest.

Not good

Pettersson - one of those nights were he was sloppy with the puck and mentally half in the game. Had little bursts down and then but was more likely to rush the puck into traffic, make a weak pass and dangerous lateral pass or lose the puck along the boards. Think it is becoming more evident that he is best as a winger. For this team to suceed they need Pettersson to be better than this. Real up and down season to date.

Juulsen - playing nervous and desparation hockey. Just banging the puck off the boards to get it out and looking disoreinted in this zone. Soucy >>>>>>>>> Juulsen. Maybe, like earlier in the season, he will play himself into better hockey as he gets in a few more games.

Others

Zadorov - don't think the third goal was really his fault. He had to go wide with his man and someone else had to get back to the net. Thought Hronek should have shifted across to take the Blues player rather than Hronek staying to other side of the crease. Probably the center shoulchave tracking that the Blues player to the net. Quite a lack luster preformance by Zadorov overall and his minutes were severly decreased.

Mikheyev - would this player please start scoring. Again chances but seems to be just aimlessly firing the puck at the net rather than picking a spot to put it. I don't think that line works and really hasn't all season.

Kuzmenko - seems to be dark cloud over his head. Pressing hard and somehow always seems to end up making a mistake. Gets chances but gets so wired he ends up stick handling himself out of position. Can see his confidence is shot and he's guessing. Season now appears a write off. No Bali next off-season.

Boeser - ends up with 2 assists in another very mediocre preformance. Had more than half the net to put the puck away on one occasion and somehow misses. (as did Miller) Any decent sniper easily scores that. Also lousy, late coverage on one of the goals. Overall Boeser is a pretty average offensive player who is benefitting from the work of Hughes, Miller and, to an extent, Pettersson. See now that if you put a journey man like Suter in that position, he starts scoring (plus play way better defensively.)

deSmith - wasn't particularly good. Absolutely the second best goalie in this game. Hofer basically won it for the Blues.

Lafferty - play has fallen off and I could see where you could say he wasn't good. Hoglander the only one getting anything done on that line.

Miller - need this player to star to have team suceed and he hasn't been that over the last few games. As he and Hughes go, so goes the team.

Team gets a point which after the second you doubted was going to happen. You wanted that other point and it was there for Hronek to pick up. Then the refs swallowed their whistles and let Schenn do his Bertuzzi thing. Such is the NHL officiating which remains a joke.
I think if you want EP at centre than you need to give him a pair of linemates better than two struggling Russians with one sucking at defence

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I think if you want EP at centre than you need to give him a pair of linemates better than two struggling Russians with one sucking at defence

This is a pretty big factor. Pettersson knows he's basically carrying two dead weights and simply starts trying to force plays, which leads to mistakes and turnovers. At this point, Hoglander should move up for one of them and see if something can't be sparked but otherwise that line is dead.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
If I have one beef about Petey its that he's still pretty weak on his feet and doesn't seem to have a strong core...he could definitely stand to gain some more muscle mass. Still...Schenn gave him a shot in the back, which should have been an interference penalty, but if Schenn gives that same shot to someone like Sidney Crosby or Nathan MacKinnon, they're not going down.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
If I have one beef about Petey its that he's still pretty weak on his feet and doesn't seem to have a strong core...he could definitely stand to gain some more muscle mass. Still...Schenn gave him a shot in the back, which should have been an interference penalty, but if Schenn gives that same shot to someone like Sidney Crosby or Nathan MacKinnon, they're not going down.
Agreed and I fear it will be a lot worse in the playoffs.

It's one thing to have your star players be big and strong which EP and Hughes are not and another thing to have them surrounded by big, strong players which is what we are doing to our D core.

2 amazing smaller players (Hughes/Hronek) surrounded by larger mediocre players as opposed to Pietrangelo, Dahlin or Hedman who are amazing and big.

Will be interesting to watch.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
That was interference on Pettersson and they got goalie’d, but so it goes. Those sort of calls usually dry up in OT so it seems Schenn gambled that the refs wouldn’t call another one and was right.

They did well to grind it out and get a point against a team that is good at protecting the middle (except against Suter) and who have very good sticks deflecting and blocking shots. It happens, even to the team that is first in the league by points and points percentage…

Reactions: Zombotron

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Agreed and I fear it will be a lot worse in the playoffs.

It's one thing to have your star players be big and strong which EP and Hughes are not and another thing to have them surrounded by big, strong players which is what we are doing to our D core.

2 amazing smaller players (Hughes/Hronek) surrounded by larger mediocre players as opposed to Pietrangelo, Dahlin or Hedman who are amazing and big.

Will be interesting to watch.
I’m not worried about him in the playoffs
He was great in the bubble

Last edited:

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I'd much prefer going back to 4-on-4. This keepaway stuff is boring.

EP looked gassed on the play as well, he shouldn't have put himself in that position.

Live and learn though - better to learn from it now.

Hughes was buzzing and was incredible.

If the Canucks can acquire a good 2C I'd love to see it happen.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Not good

Re: Petey, I wonder if this is just an adjustment game switching back from the wing to center? He seems to be lost/uncertain with the puck a lot this game, making questionable plays that is out of character for him. Maybe this is just him transitioning back from the winger position to the center position, everything is different. He did not have a good game, but I'm willing to give him a pass on this one.

Boeser though, he was one of the few player that weren't very good. It is deceiving because, like you said, he ended up with 2 assists, but overall I didn't think him and JTM had a very good game, although JTM was slightly better of the 2.

With our top 3 forward having not-so-good game, and we still end up with a point, we can't be too disappointed about that. Hughes carried the team tonight, and Suter too. Onto the next.

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Loves this comment from Petey

“Looking back on the clip, I had two turnovers to get them the puck back when we had the puck on the three on three,’ Pettersson said after practice at Rogers Arena. “Whether it’s a non-call or not, it’s not up to me, I have to do a better job before then.”

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I think Petey was indeed gassed and went down for a bit longer than was absolutely necessary but he's pretty well established himself as a diver/embellisher in the minds of some refs and so is simply going to have to live with that. He won't get that call (or even more egregious ones) in the playoffs...

Reactions: Indiana and m9

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
I think part of Zadarov's problem last night was he keeps getting different D pairs. The return of Soucy was good for Myers but big Z is still learning his new teammates. With Myers, he knows what his roles is, and that's the scare the opposition skating in on them.

I think he went down because he wasn't expecting it.
But yeah, he's still smallish. The reason he's been on a tear and able to run guys is simple physics - he's skating while doing it so his momentum is increasing his force. He was defending, or trying to, at the time he went down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad