Post-Game Talk: [GM48] Canucks lost to Blues in OT | 3-4 (Suter x3) | Swiss Army Knife

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I only seen one he was to blame on, not sure what other goals were his fault.
Pk goal against for sure. He wandered too far from the net and couldn't get back fast enough.

Tocchet wants players to prevent those tap in goals. He's willing to give up perimeter shots but those 2 on 1s in front of the net can't happen. They had 2 like that. One on the pk and then the third one almost right after coming back down by 1.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Good comeback in the 3rd, I had fun at the game.

My dad who has not paid attention to the Canucks since the Sedins retired: "Is Portus Sutter the son of Brendan Sutter?"
Who is Portus Sutter?.....heard of all the Sutter brothers and that first name doesn't ring a bell.

Pius Suter is a Swiss National and I'm pretty sure has never been anywhere near Viking, Alberta.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Pk goal against for sure. He wandered too far from the net and couldn't get back fast enough.

Tocchet wants players to prevent those tap in goals. He's willing to give up perimeter shots but those 2 on 1s in front of the net can't happen. They had 2 like that. One on the pk and then the third one almost right after coming back down by 1.

I agree but I also seen another D lose his man doing that as well recently might have been someone in the Leafs game. Not sure if it's a coaching problem but you could just as easily be mad at Myers instead he left his guy wide open then who was available for a tap in which goes against ricks "make the goalie only need to protect half the net" philosophy. But Myers seems to escape criticism with coaches and media.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
suter was good. team was dogshit the first 20 mins. blues own the nucks this year for some reason. they slow down the tempo and let vancouver make mistakes before pouncing on them. petteson was god awful tonight.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
suter was good. team was dogshit the first 20 mins. blues own the nucks this year for some reason. they slow down the tempo and let vancouver make mistakes before pouncing on them. petteson was god awful tonight.
I count three games where it didn't even look like St Louis was playing

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
leaving aside ot i thought pettersson had a particularly rough game. he did not make time and space for himself and seemed behind the play mentally. blues had his number.

i am not sure why zadorov was benched. maybe i missed a bad shift. hopefully not injured.

there were signs of canucks being held to the perimeter by physical defensive play as we saw early in the year. pettersson was not alone in struggling, just a standout..

suter was great but if suter has to be great that is perhaps a sign the team had an off night and mostly they did.

Reactions: Indiana and B-rock

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
leaving aside ot i thought pettersson had a particularly rough game. he did not make time and space for himself and seemed behind the play mentally. blues had his number.

i am not sure why zadorov was benched. maybe i missed a bad shift. hopefully not injured.

there were signs of canucks being held to the perimeter by physical defensive play as we saw early in the year. pettersson was not alone in struggling, just a standout..

suter was great but if suter has to be great that is perhaps a sign the team had an off night and mostly they did.
Zads was benched for missed assignments and being soft

Reactions: Indiana

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Absolute BS no call on the OT goal. Team controlled much of the game but just enough glitzs to allow St. Louis to stay in the game. Give Canucks credit for real push in the third.

Good

Suter - put in a offensive situation and came through. Shows how getting to the net is so important. Misssed a few chances lately but at least he getting them and showed in this game he can convert.

Hughes - out of this world. Willed the team back in the game and frankly carried them for much of the game. Makes one great play after another. Heart and soul of the team. Absolutely the captain instead of Pettersson. To be the best you've got to want it as much as Hughes does. Hopefully shoulder doesn't tighten up - if so an excuse to miss the all star game and take a rest.

Not good

Pettersson - one of those nights were he was sloppy with the puck and mentally half in the game. Had little bursts down and then but was more likely to rush the puck into traffic, make a weak pass and dangerous lateral pass or lose the puck along the boards. Think it is becoming more evident that he is best as a winger. For this team to suceed they need Pettersson to be better than this. Real up and down season to date.

Juulsen - playing nervous and desparation hockey. Just banging the puck off the boards to get it out and looking disoreinted in this zone. Soucy >>>>>>>>> Juulsen. Maybe, like earlier in the season, he will play himself into better hockey as he gets in a few more games.

Others

Zadorov - don't think the third goal was really his fault. He had to go wide with his man and someone else had to get back to the net. Thought Hronek should have shifted across to take the Blues player rather than Hronek staying to other side of the crease. Probably the center shoulchave tracking that the Blues player to the net. Quite a lack luster preformance by Zadorov overall and his minutes were severly decreased.

Mikheyev - would this player please start scoring. Again chances but seems to be just aimlessly firing the puck at the net rather than picking a spot to put it. I don't think that line works and really hasn't all season.

Kuzmenko - seems to be dark cloud over his head. Pressing hard and somehow always seems to end up making a mistake. Gets chances but gets so wired he ends up stick handling himself out of position. Can see his confidence is shot and he's guessing. Season now appears a write off. No Bali next off-season.

Boeser - ends up with 2 assists in another very mediocre preformance. Had more than half the net to put the puck away on one occasion and somehow misses. (as did Miller) Any decent sniper easily scores that. Also lousy, late coverage on one of the goals. Overall Boeser is a pretty average offensive player who is benefitting from the work of Hughes, Miller and, to an extent, Pettersson. See now that if you put a journey man like Suter in that position, he starts scoring (plus play way better defensively.)

deSmith - wasn't particularly good. Absolutely the second best goalie in this game. Hofer basically won it for the Blues.

Lafferty - play has fallen off and I could see where you could say he wasn't good. Hoglander the only one getting anything done on that line.

Miller - need this player to star to have team suceed and he hasn't been that over the last few games. As he and Hughes go, so goes the team.

Team gets a point which after the second you doubted was going to happen. You wanted that other point and it was there for Hronek to pick up. Then the refs swallowed their whistles and let Schenn do his Bertuzzi thing. Such is the NHL officiating which remains a joke.

Last edited:

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Agreed on all accounts, particularly on Boeser @orcatown. He’s a secondary scorer, smart player, but his compete leaves much to be desired. He’s just kinda there. If there is a player 5v5 that’s within 5 feet of him, I’m certain it’s a turnover.

He does nothing when he’s not scoring, and he’s not scoring now and I’m sure a lot of fans will be shocked in April when they wonder why hasn’t Boeser done anything?

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Not a great way to end the game, but still positive to see them keep pressing when they were behind despite being the better team.

The winning goal, it was definitely a blown call no doubt about it but can be a learning lesson for Petey. I'm sure Toch will talk to him about it. You have to keep battling and skating and assume you won't get the call.

I think he was gassed rather than trying to sell the call though, but you have to keep going.

These are lessons to know going into playoffs where they definitely put the whistles away.

Fortunately the clown show that is 3-on-3 doesn't occur in the playoffs, so worth keeping in mind.

Britton

Nov 28, 2008
With the Bruins and Jets both losing tonight, the single point was enough to move in the Canucks into first in P% as well as total points.

On another note the league needs to go back to ties and and 5v5 overtime, or at least back to 4v4. This 3vs3 garbage has got to go, it's terrible to watch and has no relevancy to actual hockey.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
We salvaged a point where the bounces went against us.

Good - the Canucks bore down when it was clear that they couldn't coast. They came back and salvaged a point. They outshot the opposition, and outplayed them. Yes, mistakes were made. But they outshot the Blues 25 - 11 after the 1st. they carried the play.

whine whine whine, we didnt win a game we should have. Yeah, well we have won a few we shouldn't have. Big f***ing Deal.

Don't tinker, this team is great, and keep it together unless a deal comes along that is too good to pass up.

With the Bruins and Jets both losing tonight, the single point was enough to move in the Canucks into first in P% as well as total points.

On another note the league needs to go back to ties and and 5v5 overtime, or at least back to 4v4. This 3vs3 garbage has got to go, it's terrible to watch and has no relevancy to actual hockey.
Or do the basketball thing, no taking the puck out in OT. Either make the blue line or the centre line the limit. You take it out, they blow the play dead, and have the face off in the other end.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I was shit talking Tocchet for having Suter in the top 6 and PP1 and boy did he shut me up.

I still think that if we're going to have a warm body that no one passes to on pp1, it should be a net front guy like Joshua who can at least properly screen a goalie. I don't see the point of Kuzmenko or Suter on that unit if they're going to be so averse to making a play - all they ever do is pass it back to whoever sent them the puck.

Reactions: Indiana

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Thought it was an entertaining game. Team played hard and carried the play for large chunks. Also fell asleep for stretches, especially when they got down 2-0.

Bottom 6 not as good as they have been, but they've earned a mediocre night.

I was second guessing Tocc's use of Suter. Guess Coach got it right. I dunno, I see a bit of Burrows in him in that he's got the IQ to play with better players that are a level above him, but needs the right chemistry to really work in the top 6. Not as much "Tell Kelly I said hi" in Pew Pew's game though.

Gutsy effort overall, coming back from 2-0 and 3-1 in the 3rd. Blues just seem to have our number this season. Pretty unlucky to take only 1 of 4 points over the 2 recent games vs StL imo.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Three-on-three OT was exciting when it was novelty and teams were still figuring it out. But that was a long time ago.

Now it resembles a game of keep-away on the backyard pond, with minutes taken off the clock where teams just pass it around in neutral zone. They've basically wrung the life out of it.

How to fix it? Maybe once you enter the offensive zone, you can't carry back out into the neutral zone. And it would result in an instant neutral zone faceoff. Or maybe a basketball-style shot clock once you get into the offensive zone.

One thing is for certain. The NHL rules committee needs to go back to drawing board on OT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad