Post-Game Talk: [GM48] Canucks lost to Blues in OT | 3-4 (Suter x3) | Swiss Army Knife

moiderer

Jul 28, 2021
Vancouver
The team wasn't sharp but they still proved themselves to be a tier above a wild card team.

You'd have to go back to the last game vs the Blues to find a game where the boys didn't show up.

The biggest takeaways are that Hughes is (hopefully) healthy and something's gotta give in the top 6. EP struggling aside, the Russians were volatile and middle-sixers like Suter and Hoglander outplayed everyone else.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Really have high hopes for EP3. Draft eligble in 4 years.

1706161932231.gif

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I don't mind Pettersson bobbling the puck and missing an opportunity to score- it happens. He didn't have a great game- it happens.

What I do have an issue with is embellishing a cross check and then when Schenn scores immediately crying to the ref about the non-call. I think it's a penalty, I just don't like the attitude behind it. Check my history I'm not a Pettersson hater get the guy signed 8 years but yeesh that whole play is a pathetic look for him.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
No argument to be made in defense. Very shocking to see Petey with such little awareness tonight. Wasn’t every shift, but far too often for someone who is dialed in.
Any player that stares down the ref instead of just continuing to play hard, especially in those situations grinds my gears. Nothing good is going to come out of you glaring at the ref and leaving your man wide open.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I think a top 6 forward is a good idea to acquire and some defensive depth too. Can’t have enough defensive depth in the playoffs. In 2011, we had something crazy like 14 defense men playing in the playoffs

Our system has been hiding our personnel issues. Defense though better still isn’t how I’d say good.

And our two best scoring wingers are not good defensively. Both of them were better tho tonight

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Insanely clear that we need at least one proven top 6 forward to do any damage on a run. Mikheyev and Suter should be nowhere near the top 6 (not a knock on Suter but it is a knock on Mikheyev. He’s ass)

Reactions: B-rock

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
I think Pettersson feels like he has to do it all when he's playing with 2 ineffective players, and the reality is he does have to do it all, so he ends up pressing so much he makes errors out there. He has no one to defer to who he feels will give the line a chance to score.
Definitely need to acquire another dependable forward

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
I don't mind Pettersson bobbling the puck and missing an opportunity to score- it happens. He didn't have a great game- it happens.

What I do have an issue with is embellishing a cross check and then when Schenn scores immediately crying to the ref about the non-call. I think it's a penalty, I just don't like the attitude behind it. Check my history I'm not a Pettersson hater get the guy signed 8 years but yeesh that whole play is a pathetic look for him.
I hope Tocchet has something to say to him about that. Maybe if he had made some plays tonight he can turn to the ref...as it was, he was a passenger and downright detrimental to the comeback and the PP. Just annoying that he would criticize anyone else including the referees.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
I think Pettersson feels like he has to do it all when he's playing with 2 ineffective players, and the reality is he does have to do it all, so he ends up pressing so much he makes errors out there. He has no one to defer to who he feels will give the line a chance to score.
Players like him should elevate their teammates. Offensively, Kuz has not been ineffective. He's still making plays. Him and Petey made tons of magic last year. I'll give you Mikheyev, his injury is a problem and its going to continue being a problem until next season or longer.

Reactions: B-rock

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011

What is he supposed to do, not get illegally taken to the ice? It was a bullshit play from a bullshit player, no need to read into it further

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
In some respects this might have been one of the Canucks most impressive outings of the night.....Down by two goals for most of the night, they never stopped competing.

After all, it was one of the last games before a 10-day break for a lot of these players. Surely there has to be a tendency to take your foot of the gas if things aren't going your way, and it isn't your night. But they kept on carrying the play to the final minute and were rewarded with a loser point.

Quinn Hughes as usual skated miles. I know he's the consensus leader for the Norris, but when do we start talking about Hughes in the Hart conversation? Where would they be without him? Nowhere near first overall in the NHL.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
This is probably the most annoyed I’ve been watching a game in like years and we still salvaged a point. I will calm down now

Reactions: Szechwan

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
...and this, my friends, is why you DON"T want to be league leader in "penalties drawn". Refs assume you're a diver even if you aren't diving at the moment.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
On the last play of the game Pettersson used all the energy he had left to defend a potential 2 on 1. He was out of gas so probly goes down easier on the crosscheck than normal, and gets up faster than normal. It was a very half hearted complaint to the ref.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad