Confirmed with Link: Glen Gulutzan, Assistants Fired

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Good riddance to all 3, especially Cameron. I liked Gulutzan as a person, but couldn't stand him as a coach. I wish him well and I hope he lands on his feet elsewhere.

Hopefully Treliving knows what he's doing with the next hire or it should be his ass out the door next.

I also hope to see some trades and some players shipped out. They're just as much to blame as the coaches for this shit show season and shouldn't be let off the hook.

Should be a big and interesting off-season.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I side with Meth. I mean there’s nothing wrong being happy about getting a new coach, I know I am. But I see people all the time on the Flames FB page bashing Gully and calling him all kinds of awful names which is just so tasteless. The guy is a real person with a family, who’s always been nothing but classy. I am happy for the change and to each their own, but I think Gully has earned a respectful send off. I’m sure today was a very hard day for 3 different families who have given a lot of their themselves to the team.

You agreed with comparing cheering for someone to die with firing someone who cant do his job? :sarcasm:

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
Anyone else besides me want better penalty killers?

If you look in the playoffs a lot of teams have their best players on the ice in every conceivable situation.
When we're on the PK our best players are on the bench. Why can't our coaches teach our best guys to play on the PK.

Backlund is fine, but when we get Brouwer, Stajan and Lazar killing penalties that's a bad idea.

Look around the league, McDavid, Bergeron, Marchand, Crosby, all kill penalties. Look at that list and look at ours.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Anyone else besides me want better penalty killers?

If you look in the playoffs a lot of teams have their best players on the ice in every conceivable situation.
When we're on the PK our best players are on the bench. Why can't our coaches teach our best guys to play on the PK.

Backlund is fine, but when we get Brouwer, Stajan and Lazar killing penalties that's a bad idea.

Look around the league, McDavid, Bergeron, Marchand, Crosby, all kill penalties. Look at that list and look at ours.
Yep. Not to say Gaudreau should be out there on the PK, but Monahan has started to receive praise as a good two-way player and could kill penalties. Tkachuk seems like he could do it well too.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
So if I hate my step dad, I can celebrate if the current one dies because I'll be getting a new one at some point? Save teh excitement for when we actually get a new coach.

Comparing someone sitting at home making $1.6M to someone literally dying to try and make your point really says it all though doesn’t it.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Comparing someone sitting at home making $1.6M to someone literally dying to try and make your point really says it all though doesn’t it.
clearly it was an exaggeration, but I stand by my point. If you are going to celebrate when someone gets fired, when all they did wrong was not coach a sports team as well as you want, you are a shitty f***ing person.

Reactions: Bronco Horvat

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
clearly it was an exaggeration, but I stand by my point. If you are going to celebrate when someone gets fired, when all they did wrong was not coach a sports team as well as you want, you are a ****ty ****ing person.
You’re really not going to get a lot of support on this, I hope you understand that.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
I side with Meth. I mean there’s nothing wrong being happy about getting a new coach, I know I am. But I see people all the time on the Flames FB page bashing Gully and calling him all kinds of awful names which is just so tasteless. The guy is a real person with a family, who’s always been nothing but classy. I am happy for the change and to each their own, but I think Gully has earned a respectful send off. I’m sure today was a very hard day for 3 different families who have given a lot of their themselves to the team.
Agree.

I have a soft spot for GG. Didn't work out and it sucks. Hope he finds a gig somewhere, even as Assistant.

All the best!

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
You’re really not going to get a lot of support on this, I hope you understand that.

I kinda agree with him...

Coaches have pretty hard jobs. its not just x and o on a board and drawing up plays. You have to deal with a bunch of different personalities (players), media, upper management, community and also still be a family man.

I mentioned it before, GG's daughter plays volleyball on the team my dad coaches and he was often at her games and supporting her.

Its rare that a player gets shit on (unless you're Troy Brouwer) as much as a coach can on a team that is not living up to expectations, which are always sky high.

Just didn't work out and now if the next coach that comes in doesn't either, we are in big trouble.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think Gully will be a good coach in the NHL for years to come. I hope he and the others lands on their feet. I wish him the best.

I still do think he's a good coach. He just is a greenhorn and a mismatch for this team who doesn't play a cycle styled game. I also agree with II in that he deserves a respectful send off.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
So if I hate my step dad, I can celebrate if the current one dies because I'll be getting a new one at some point? Save teh excitement for when we actually get a new coach.
No, because that's not even close to the same thing.

You can, however, celebrate if your mom divorced him. That would be the more correct analogy.

I disagree.
Seconded.

He had a job to do, and he did it poorly. People get fired for this all the time.

... but guess what, he's not going to be on the street, his kids won't do without food or clothing or shelter, and he'll land on his feet with a full years of salary - a salary that would take me around 20 years to earn.

Save the pity for those who need it.

I'm glad he's gone. I guess that makes me a ***ty ****ing person.

Last edited:

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I don't think anyone here is happy because Gully lost his job, we're happy because he no longer works for the Flames. Same result, but different reasoning. Nobody here hated the guy or wished him ill, it had just become clear that he was not the correct coach for this team at this current time, that doesn't make anyone a shitty f***ing person

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
clearly it was an exaggeration, but I stand by my point. If you are going to celebrate when someone gets fired, when all they did wrong was not coach a sports team as well as you want, you are a ****ty ****ing person.

I mean what's the gentle way to fire someone when they underachieve and don't complete any of the objectives or tasks set forth by an organization that you were hired to do?? It's more than a sports team, its a business.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I mean what's the gentle way to fire someone when they underachieve and don't complete any of the objectives or tasks set forth by an organization that you were hired to do?? It's more than a sports team, its a business.
Maybe you should know what's being discussed? Because I never once said he shouldn't have been fired, in fact I said it was time for a change. I said people shouldn't celebrate someone getting fired, they should wait and celebrate when a new hire is made (if you like it), because at this point in time people are celebrating for nothing more than three people/families having their lives turned upside down.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
No, because that's not even close to the same thing.

You can, however, celebrate if your mom divorced him. That would be the more correct analogy.

Seconded.

He had a job to do, and he did it poorly. People get fired for this all the time.

... but guess what, he's not going to be on the street, his kids won't do without food or clothing or shelter, and he'll land on his feet with a full years of salary - a salary that would take me around 20 years to earn.

Save the pity for those who need it.

I'm glad he's gone. I guess that makes me a ***ty ****ing person.
I have no issue with him being fired. None, it was time for a change. My issue is people with the good riddance comments and celebrating the firing. All it's doing is kicking someone when they are down. We don't even know if the replacement will be any better.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Maybe you should know what's being discussed? Because I never once said he shouldn't have been fired, in fact I said it was time for a change. I said people shouldn't celebrate someone getting fired, they should wait and celebrate when a new hire is made (if you like it), because at this point in time people are celebrating for nothing more than three people/families having their lives turned upside down.

I am wondering if what you're sorta hinting at is something along these lines...

source.gif

...except for the fact that everyone wants to get their bullet in "post mortem" so to speak?

If yes, I get where you're coming from, but I also get where everyone else is coming from too. I haven't seen too many egregious examples of anyone slagging Gully so far, so I can see why some posters are taking offense to the way you sorta paint many of them with a wide brush. I still maintain II put it best earlier that it's ok to be excited for a new chapter, but it's also fair that GG and co deserves a respectful send off. Respectful send off doesn't mean we must taper the excitement of a new chapter and mourn and weep in the streets for GG and co though. I do think many individuals have a similar view of the situation as yourself though MM, but rather than focus on the sad parts of the situation, they've already jumped onto focusing on the silver lining. I think objective discussion and critique of GG and co's prior performance is ok, but opinion charged statements aren't needed at this time. I'm confident that if someone makes a seriously embarrassing statement though, the necessary individuals will step in to right the wrongs.

I agree that anyone thinking it's ok to take pot shots on GG and co right now is way out of line, but I haven't seen too many examples of this. I also think that having an excitement of a new season with a new bench boss and new style isn't being disrespectful to GG.

But to summarize, I do think you're excessively leaning more towards a "If you don't have anything good/nice to say, don't say anything at all." stance. It's a good emphasis and reminder. You just were a little heavy handed on it. But I think it's time to trust the situation is in good hands and the rest of us aren't actually all engaging in jackassery of the highest levels.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I am wondering if what you're sorta hinting at is something along these lines...

source.gif

...except for the fact that everyone wants to get their bullet in "post mortem" so to speak?

If yes, I get where you're coming from, but I also get where everyone else is coming from too. I haven't seen too many egregious examples of anyone slagging Gully so far, so I can see why some posters are taking offense to the way you sorta paint many of them with a wide brush. I still maintain II put it best earlier that it's ok to be excited for a new chapter, but it's also fair that GG and co deserves a respectful send off. Respectful send off doesn't mean we must taper the excitement of a new chapter and mourn and weep in the streets for GG and co though. I do think many individuals have a similar view of the situation as yourself though MM, but rather than focus on the sad parts of the situation, they've already jumped onto focusing on the silver lining. I think objective discussion and critique of GG and co's prior performance is ok, but opinion charged statements aren't needed at this time. I'm confident that if someone makes a seriously embarrassing statement though, the necessary individuals will step in to right the wrongs.

I agree that anyone thinking it's ok to take pot shots on GG and co right now is way out of line, but I haven't seen too many examples of this. I also think that having an excitement of a new season with a new bench boss and new style isn't being disrespectful to GG.

But to summarize, I do think you're excessively leaning more towards a "If you don't have anything good/nice to say, don't say anything at all." stance. It's a good emphasis and reminder. You just were a little heavy handed on it. But I think it's time to trust the situation is in good hands and the rest of us aren't actually all engaging in jackassery of the highest levels.

Good post.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Bologna. He is being paid for the final year of his contract. How are their lives turned upside down? People are celebrating he is no longer the Flames coach. You're suggesting implicit malice on peoples behalves where there is none.

Reactions: No Draft

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Bologna. He is being paid for the final year of his contract. How are their lives turned upside down? People are celebrating he is no longer the Flames coach. You're suggesting implicit malice on peoples behalves where there is none.

Exactly. Gulutzan really didnt lose anything financially. He got fully paid on his 3 yrs contract. All this really means is he is not getting another contract from the Flames and why should he? He didnt get the job done.

I do not think anybody is cheering because a man got fired any way...it's MM way of getting on people he hates...

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017

You're being just a tiiiiiny bit dramatic...

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Good luck to GG in his future endeavours. I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt this season, because I really liked this teams' underlying numbers... but he simply isn't an NHL coach. Too many bad decisions, too many poor excuses of special teams.

Watching a team like Vegas is all you need to know. Gallant is getting every ounce of production from all of his players... Guys seemed to flourish in spite of Gulutzan's efforts last year.

Every time we get a coach, you're hoping for them to develop into the next Scotty Bowman, Babcock, Joe Q, etc... This wasn't the case.

Now Treliving has to fix this team. There's a lack of talent past the top 4 forwards and it shows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad