Confirmed with Link: Glen Gulutzan, Assistants Fired

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Serious question: why is everyone gunning for Bill Peters? He doesn't have any impressive record as a head coach with the Hurricanes. It would seem like a lateral move at best.

They think he failed because Carolina do not have good players.

For some reason they think the Flames do :naughty:

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Trotz is likely another stepping stone to a Cup if it's true that he can't get it done in the postseason, but I'm fine with that, I think (in most cases) a team needs to put together a series of deep runs over five or six years before they can realistically take hardware home.

I don't think Trotz should get blamed for the Caps curse. I was afraid he had tunnel vision on a strangling defense but Washington has hardly been a trap club. It's their lineup. He would maybe be a safe choice to get more defensively out of this club.

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Peters has coached a bad team, but he’s lead the hurricanes to basically a .500 record every year he’s coached and has never made the playoffs - we need someone with more experience who has won before

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
First and foremost, I’d like to say I wish Gully all the best. He seems like an incredible and genuine man of character. I have no doubts that our players learned a lot of positives from him. I hope that he lands on his feet sooner than later in some capacity and he goes onto having a good career. The man deserves respect and was nothing but class in his time here.

Next, this was necessary. This team had proven it could not finish or play with the killer instinct it needed to win. It’s not the fact that we missed the playoffs this year, it’s how we played and how we missed them. It’s how the guys did not hate to lose, and I think it starts and ends with the coach. So kudos to management for making the hard but correct decision.

Lastly, there’s some really good candidates available so I hope that we hire the right guy. I have no doubts that Sutter would get us into the playoffs, but I don’t want him. As a fan I want to be entertained and Darryl plays a suffocating style of hockey, quite frankly his post games are the most entertaining thing about him. Trotz is hands down my first choice. I don’t think Tippett is a candidate as Yotes poster @rt pointed out because of differences previously with management there.

Anyways today is a tough day for 3 families, I wish them all well. But here’s to a hopefully new exciting and better chapter for the Flames their players and their fans.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well he didn’t do his job here particularly well so I’ll wish him luck but I’m not sad to see him go.
Really Deebz? In the post you previously quoted my only issue is people celebrating him being fired, I stated that it was time for a change. But reveling in someone elses misery is a shitty thing to do.

Welcome to the world of professional sports. The fact of the matter is, he had a job to do, and he did it poorly. I wish him all the best, but I'm not going to light a candle for the guy.
All I am saying is cheering for a guys life to be turned upside down is shitty. I stated it was time for a change. There is a difference between understanding and accepting a firing than celebrating it.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
@Method Man totally agree. The man was always respectful to the players, fans, and made time for the reporters and he was always gracious with his time. I wanted him gone as well, but demonstrating some respect to the situation is called for IMO.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
apparently Friedman said on HNIC that Bill Peters is the frontrunner for the new hc position.
Not a fan, tbh.
Someone needs to explain to me why this is a good idea. Preferably like I'm 8 years old because I have no clue why the Flames would consider someone who's only won four playoff rounds (in one season) and has missed the playoffs more often than not in his entire career as a head coach.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Like I said in the other thread, Gully was key in developing Monahan's game. He went from being a 1-dimensional scorer to a more complete center that plays a 200-ft game.

Gulutzan also helped Tkachuk become a budding star in this league. As amazing as his character and work ethic is, he wasn't described as a can't miss prospect that would be NHL-ready in his first season. He didn't really impress me much in his first 9 games but he just kept getting better with the Flames under Gulutzan and thrived in his possession system.

Just a shame he couldn't get more out of our depth forwards

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Someone needs to explain to me why this is a good idea. Preferably like I'm 8 years old because I have no clue why the Flames would consider someone who's only won four playoff rounds (in one season) and has missed the playoffs more often than not in his entire career as a head coach.
The additional problem is that most of the complaints about him mirror Gulutzan's deficiencies such as in-game management and deployment of lines

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
I see that he won those four playoff rounds with Spokane in the WHL, where Flames legend Mitch Wahl was playing at the time.

Yeah I don't like the sudden surge of a Bill Peters hire. What we need is an experienced hire like AV or Trotz.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Paul McLean was really exposed as a poor coach in Ottawa, though, wasn't he? Dave Cameron got more out of that team than McLean did. Why do we want him?

I would much rather capitalize on narrative bias with a guy like Barry Trotz if he becomes available. A guy who has consistently made his team win a ton of games, but may become available due to failure in the playoffs.

How was MacLean exposed as a poor coach? Cameron had a better record solely because of an insane streak the Sens went on. MacLean brought a weak Sens team to the playoffs twice and always had great possession numbers. Allowed his players to play offensively as well.

The Rainman

May 7, 2007
Vancouver
Welcome to the world of professional sports. The fact of the matter is, he had a job to do, and he did it poorly. I wish him all the best, but I'm not going to light a candle for the guy.
Me thinks maybe the players did a poor job. You only had 4 players that showed up for most of the season and you know who they are. How does any coach hold onto his job with 4 players showing up night after night. These aren't kids, they are men. Guys like Bennett are coach killers. Gives you something one day and it takes it back the next. He's just one of many. Ferland is another. What a joke this guy is. Has so much talent and he disappears for long stretches at a time. He's still living off the great playoff he had against the Canucks. It's just so much easier to fire the coach and let another coach try and fix it.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Head Coach: Darryl Sutter
Assistant Coach: Brian Sutter
Assistant Coach: Brent Sutter
Motivation Coach: Duane Sutter
Relationship Manager: Ron Sutter

Rich never worked for the Flames so he can **** right off. :)

The timing for Gulutzan's firing is really odd for me. I had a dream last night that the Red Deer Rebels closed up shop and Brent was looking to be an NHL coach again, starting with the Flames :laugh:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
So he has a cushion for a year, it's still a pretty low class thing to do. Someone getting fired should be a somber event, not a celebration.

I suppose but people that are ‘happy’ to see him go are ‘celebrating’ because it means the Flames will get a new coach, not celebrating that he lost his job.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I suppose but people that are ‘happy’ to see him go are ‘celebrating’ because it means the Flames will get a new coach, not celebrating that he lost his job.
So if I hate my step dad, I can celebrate if the current one dies because I'll be getting a new one at some point? Save teh excitement for when we actually get a new coach.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I side with Meth. I mean there’s nothing wrong being happy about getting a new coach, I know I am. But I see people all the time on the Flames FB page bashing Gully and calling him all kinds of awful names which is just so tasteless. The guy is a real person with a family, who’s always been nothing but classy. I am happy for the change and to each their own, but I think Gully has earned a respectful send off. I’m sure today was a very hard day for 3 different families who have given a lot of their themselves to the team.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I side with Meth. I mean there’s nothing wrong being happy about getting a new coach, I know I am. But I see people all the time on the Flames FB page bashing Gully and calling him all kinds of awful names which is just so tasteless. The guy is a real person with a family, who’s always been nothing but classy. I am happy for the change and to each their own, but I think Gully has earned a respectful send off. I’m sure today was a very hard day for 3 different families who have given a lot of their themselves to the team.

Treliving said it best today, the whole organization has failed and is not above reproach. Starts with him and ownership and goes down to the players. Firing the coach usually means something has gone wrong, it's a sign there's still a lot of work to do. Gulutzan honestly seemed over his head for much of his time here. Gave me a real Greg Gilbert vibe. It's a results business and if he can't get the job done find somebody who will.

I'll hold off my cheering the decision until they announce who's the new HC and the way his team starts the season. Definitely respect Brad for evaluating the coaching staff quickly and making a decision, if there's one thing firing a coach is not doing it's allowing for low standards. Say what you will for his eye for pro talent, because it looks to be highly hit or miss, Treliving leads from the front. If he thinks he can get somebody better, why settle? He should be looking to do the same with his roster.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad