Confirmed with Link: Glen Gulutzan, Assistants Fired

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Maybe you should know what's being discussed? Because I never once said he shouldn't have been fired, in fact I said it was time for a change. I said people shouldn't celebrate someone getting fired, they should wait and celebrate when a new hire is made (if you like it), because at this point in time people are celebrating for nothing more than three people/families having their lives turned upside down.

No, people are celebrating the fact that a coach who was unable to do the job properly is gone. It's a results oriented business, people get fired all the time. Gulutzan deserves respect for trying, but I'm not gonna feel bad for him that he isn't our coach anymore because he wasn't good enough. His life wasn't turned upside down, he lost a job that he was going to lose next year anyway.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
No, people are celebrating the fact that a coach who was unable to do the job properly is gone. It's a results oriented business, people get fired all the time. Gulutzan deserves respect for trying, but I'm not gonna feel bad for him that he isn't our coach anymore because he wasn't good enough. His life wasn't turned upside down, he lost a job that he was going to lose next year anyway.

Poor Gulutzan. Has to sit at home getting paid $800,00US looking for a job. I feel just awful for him. I don't know what I would do in his shoes.

Well I do, I'd play some Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2 and cry myself to sleep about how it might take weeks before someone comes calling to offer me another job.

Look, I get it, everyone dreams of having a long Scotty Bowman like career. Some like Bylsma even stumble onto a roster than can make it possible. But Glen has coached four seasons as a head coach in the NHL and another three as an assistant. He has lived the dream already and his career didn't end. He botched his own opportunity, and if he learns from it he has to believe he'll get another swing before he strikes out. He got to coach a group of high character, high skill NHL players last year. It's not as if his stepson decided to murder him.

Last edited:

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
The firings were necessary. It didn't work and I doubt it's all on him. This group probably needed another year or two of maturing. Hope he lands on his feet.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Friedman is speculating (aka it's a baseless statement) that he ends up as an assistant for the Oilers. I hope for his sake and ours that he finds a job elsewhere in the NHL

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Friedman is speculating (aka it's a baseless statement) that he ends up as an assistant for the Oilers. I hope for his sake and ours that he finds a job elsewhere in the NHL
I wonder how that works for us paying him. I know if he were hired as the HC, we wouldn't have to pay him. I guess it probably works the same if he takes a lesser position

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

Don't really hold anything against him. I do believe he did the best job he could. Sometimes that just isn't good enough. The away record was always impressive, which I think means he has succeeded in creating a tight knit group of players. Hope Troy Brouwer gets him a toaster oven or maybe a new Mercedes for wherever his new home ends up being.

He however coached the most frustrating team to watch. Crumple doesn't even cover half of it.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I said this before and I'll say it again: having Gully behind the bench isn't a terrible thing. I would have been completely fine if he was still our head coach if they got someone else to do the power play or if he took a step back and was our assistant coach.

Now, I'm not saying we'd be winning the cup with him, but there are a lot worse options out there. It would be a good pick up for the Oil if they hired him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->