Confirmed with Link: Glen Gulutzan, Assistants Fired

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I really hope it's Sutter. I think a lot of guys on this time would thrive under him. He's a smart coach that isn't afraid to crack the whip. I think the defense would do amazingly well under him.

Reactions: tmurfin

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I've been saying this since last year. Good coach, not the right fit.

I disagreed, to be a good coach, you have to be a good motivator and be able to adapt to changes and out coach the opponent. GG cleary showed that he is incapable of that. All his other good qualities (which he has) are lost because of it.

Reactions: Karri Ramone

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Excellent. Nice hire someone that's a better fit for the team. A little surprising Gerrard got terminated too.

Some quick notes from the conference:
  • 'Glens a good coach and a wonderful person, our team didn't get where we needed it to, we had certain players under performing'.
  • 'to get us (where we need to get) I concluded we needed to make a change'
  • 'we relied too much on too few'
  • 'this doesn't mean we won't make other changes'
  • 'I am clear in the profile we have (for coach) it isn't defined by new guy/experienced guy. experience in this league is important.'
  • 'I'm not going to comment on that' - reply to question of if candidates available affected the choice to fire Gulutzan
  • 'Glen has 1 year remaining on his contract' so the 3rd year was not a club option
  • 'there are greater areas influenced by the coach, I would say the special teams'
  • 'our players share a large responsibility' - regarding the change

aka Brodie is more important than the coach

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Excellent. Nice hire someone that's a better fit for the team. A little surprising Gerrard got terminated too.

aka Brodie is more important than the coach
Gerrard is Gully's "guy", every coach has their preferred assistants and for Gully it's Gerrard. It's like how Darryl Sutter almost always had Rich Preston or Paul Baxter throughout his NHL coaching career. ALso, Brodie was far from the only player to under-perform.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
My bet is Brodie will be gone by the start of the next season....unless BT can sign a significant FA forward
Treliving literally just said part of the reason Gulutzan was let go was because of certain players underperforming. So right after that he's also going to trade the player as well? Make no sense.

If anything, the firing and the comment strengthen the notion the Brodie isn't going anywhere (unless he asked for a trade).

Reactions: FlamerForLife

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
We need someone who can get more out of our bottom 6 and I'm tired of this lackadaisical identity we've developed. I'm okay with D Sutter coming in to whip some guys into form.

As methodical as GG wanted to be in the D zone it was obviously more ugly than anything most of the time.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
apparently Friedman said on HNIC that Bill Peters is the frontrunner for the new hc position.
Not a fan, tbh.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Treliving did specify multiple times throughout the interview that the players are not absolved of any blame with Gully's firing. Said that after they appoint the coach, some changes might be coming with the roster

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Treliving literally just said part of the reason Gulutzan was let go was because of certain players underperforming. So right after that he's also going to trade the player as well? Make no sense.

If anything, the firing and the comment strengthen the notion the Brodie isn't going anywhere (unless he asked for a trade).

That's not what he said. The players are part of the blame. There will be changes.

Reactions: WeegarUnderwood

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Also, shame on anyone celebrating someone being fired. Like him or not, his livelihood is being taken away and who knows when he'll work again. I understand that we were in need of a coaching change and that firing someone is a necessary evil, but it doesn't mean you have to take enjoyment out of it.

scoringmachine

Jan 17, 2007
I am surprised Treliving kept Sigalet. He has not improved any of the goalies in all of the time he been here. Hope we can get Darryl Sutter back to coach not GM. I liked him as a coach. Do not want Barry Trotz he maybe good but we lack the type of team he thrives on coaching. Hopefully whoever we get Tre stops picking up players just to pick up and actually look for players who can help us win.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Also, shame on anyone celebrating someone being fired. Like him or not, his livelihood is being taken away and who knows when he'll work again. I understand that we were in need of a coaching change and that firing someone is a necessary evil, but it doesn't mean you have to take enjoyment out of it.
He has another year of being paid regardless.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
That's not what he said. The players are part of the blame. There will be changes.
Actually he said both things.

But not being dumb enough to sell low on valuable players goes hand in hand with this. Should Brodie continue to struggle under a new coach, then the difference between his current value and his value a year from now would be minimal. On the other hand, if he returns to form, the difference is massive. It's a risk assessment any competent GM would be comfortable with.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
So he has a cushion for a year, it's still a pretty low class thing to do. Someone getting fired should be a somber event, not a celebration.
Well he didn’t do his job here particularly well so I’ll wish him luck but I’m not sad to see him go.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
So he has a cushion for a year, it's still a pretty low class thing to do. Someone getting fired should be a somber event, not a celebration.

Coaches making million is not the same as the guy making 5 bucks/hr at McDonald

Also, cheering for changes. I doubt if it's personal

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
One thing is for certain: Gulutzan got much more hate than he deserved here in Calgary. Yes, Canadian market. Expectations are always high and especially when you look at our team on paper. But while his player usage was poor at best, his system was excellent. Not his fault our players couldn't finish.

Really, really, reeaalllly hoping Bill Peters is our next Head Coach. Said it once before, and I'll say it again. He's the only guy I would've been happy replacing Gulutzan with this offseason.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I just want someone that will get this team up and running in October. No more adjusting to any systems, just get into a divisional spot and stay there all season

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad