GDT: Germany Vs Canada | 12/26 @ 6PM ET | TSN/NHLN

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
Score is what it is. When you’re outmatched and have a leaky goalie, it’s going to be ugly. If they’d swapped goalies, maybe it would’ve been a game.

Exactly. Seems like some people didn't watch the third period because Canada was not trying at all. That goalie gave up and was barely trying. It wasn't like Canada was trying to skate circles around them in the third and peppering the goalie with shots. They were just lobbing stuff at this guys chest once it was apparent he wasn't trying to save actual shots.

Ursamajor25

Aug 1, 2020
Score should have been much higher. After the 6th goal Canada took their feet off the gas. Commentators tried to explain why Germany was struggling but you can't explain away that goaltending.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
A Gold and a Bronze from America from 2000-9 is pretty sad.
Finland had a similar draught but rebounded beautifully!
US had a bit of a draught and rebounded beautifully!
Sweden was lacking creativity for a few years, had an awful tournament and rebounded beautifully!
Canada seems to be on the rise again to after rebounding beautifully! (maybe not so much a rebound)
Czechs won 2 golds and have won 1 medal since.lmao No rebound, nothing beautiful.haha

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Finland had a similar draught but rebounded beautifully!
US had a bit of a draught and rebounded beautifully!
Sweden was lacking creativity for a few years, had an awful tournament and rebounded beautifully!
Canada seems to be on the rise again to after rebounding beautifully! (maybe not so much a rebound)
Czechs won 2 golds and have won 1 medal since.lmao No rebound, nothing beautiful.haha

When you look at what people ale the headmen of Czech hockey, nobody can be surprised. When you look at what things can be considered normal in the Czech society as whole, nobody should be surprised that such people are the headmen of Czech hockey. But that would be a debate about sociopolitical maladies, let's keep it about hockey. I would love it if I could really believe those guys in the hockey federation headquarters really take the success of Czech hockey as their priority. But I can't. Too many obscure personal interests, old putrid animosities between people. And the game keeps suffering.

Reactions: Czechboy

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I actually don't think playing these weak teams does Canada much good. Its not representative at all of what they have to face to win this thing. They get lazy on back checks .. don't finish their checks like they should .. its pond hockey

I don’t like it either. Reduce the top division by two.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Did any of the American/Russian/Swedish fans whining in this thread about Canada running up the score actually watch the game? Canada was clearly going through the motions from about the midway point of the second period. They scored on nothing shots that the goalies should’ve had, and weren’t playing physically or intensely. They didn’t celebrate after like the 7th goal.

USA ran up the score on Austria too. It’s apart of the tournament. Live a little.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
16-1. This feels like the kind of result you'd see if Germany was playing Canada in international soccer.

I think it’d only be a 4-5 goal win. Germany isn’t that great right now, Canada is getting better, and it’s harder to run up the score so much in soccer.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Canada’s pretty good in women’s soccer.

Yup. Women’s soccer is bigger and more popular than men’s soccer is in Canada. One of those weird anomalies where the women’s game is more highly regarded by our society than the men’s team.

Hockey, football (real NA football), baseball, basketball, and lacrosse at top levels are all way more popular for boys/mens levels.

Most kids play soccer at some point when they’re super young, but the boys who are top athletes matriculate more into those above sports.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I think you’ve misread the thread. I was specifically replying to a poster who said that Canada ran up the score to “prove a point” to Stuetzle because some players didn’t think he should have gone #3.

I said that was a dumb perspective that is extremely unlikely to be true. There is likely no Canadian player who thinks they should have been picked above him, and even if they did, draft position had zero to do with the score of this game.
Oh. Thats my bad.

Yeah that person is really dumb.

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
Canada should be expected to win every tournament at every age level. Yet we celebrate like we are underdogs when be beat other teams. We are the yankees on paper; we should win every tournament ever year, when you factor in Money, Participation numbers, and the fact its our #1 sport.

Reactions: HSF

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yup. Women’s soccer is bigger and more popular than men’s soccer is in Canada. One of those weird anomalies where the women’s game is more highly regarded by our society than the men’s team.

Hockey, football (real NA football), baseball, basketball, and lacrosse at top levels are all way more popular for boys/mens levels.

Most kids play soccer at some point when they’re super young, but the boys who are top athletes matriculate more into those above sports.

It's the same way in the USA. The way I look at it is that our countries are generally behind in men's soccer with the culture and the development system in place. For women's soccer, many countries that have a good culture for men's soccer and a good system in place don't have that for women's soccer. Women are discouraged to play sports in many of these countries, and the funding is often close to nothing.

What two of the more developed countries in the world, Canada and USA, do in giving women pretty equal funding and opportunities seems like a norm for us. But its not in other parts of the world. so before we even get to looking at things like culture, development system, talent of the players, the opportunity and funding gap provides why these two countries are so good at women's soccer compared to some traditional powers in the men's game. Thats my opinion, at least.

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
I don’t like it either. Reduce the top division by two.
Gotta disagree here. Ten is absolutely perfect, pretty much includes one marginal team every year but eight is far too few. There are 7 teams that compete for/round out the final two spots in the top tier (9-10th in the world); Germany, Austria, Denmark, Norway, Latvia, Belarus, Kazakhstan. Not including Switzerland as they're solidly in the top eight now. It doesn't promote the growth of the game if a country like Slovakia is trying to avoid relegation on a yearly basis, and countries like Germany can't get to the top tier. Austria is a once-in-a-decade promotion and probably wouldn't have faired as well as a Belarus or Latvia would have performed against the states last night, but it's good for their hockey program to get the exposure.

On another note, Germany is a lot better team than a 16-2 score showed. They were the most affected covid-team, and they are missing Seider and Reichel. If those guys are playing along Stutzle and Peterka, this is a much different story.

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
The only thing that upsets me is people acting like that is the real strength of the german squad. I could'nt care less about "running up the score", but we had 11 squad players missing from our team and were on the back end of a back to back with 14 skaters. Do you really think this is representative of the german squad?

Reactions: Kleefeld and Bure80

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
When you look at what people ale the headmen of Czech hockey, nobody can be surprised. When you look at what things can be considered normal in the Czech society as whole, nobody should be surprised that such people are the headmen of Czech hockey. But that would be a debate about sociopolitical maladies, let's keep it about hockey. I would love it if I could really believe those guys in the hockey federation headquarters really take the success of Czech hockey as their priority. But I can't. Too many obscure personal interests, old putrid animosities between people. And the game keeps suffering.
Couldn't agree more...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad