GDT: Germany Vs Canada | 12/26 @ 6PM ET | TSN/NHLN

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Gotta disagree here. Ten is absolutely perfect, pretty much includes one marginal team every year but eight is far too few. There are 7 teams that compete for/round out the final two spots in the top tier (9-10th in the world); Germany, Austria, Denmark, Norway, Latvia, Belarus, Kazakhstan. Not including Switzerland as they're solidly in the top eight now. It doesn't promote the growth of the game if a country like Slovakia is trying to avoid relegation on a yearly basis, and countries like Germany can't get to the top tier. Austria is a once-in-a-decade promotion and probably wouldn't have faired as well as a Belarus or Latvia would have performed against the states last night, but it's good for their hockey program to get the exposure.

On another note, Germany is a lot better team than a 16-2 score showed. They were the most affected covid-team, and they are missing Seider and Reichel. If those guys are playing along Stutzle and Peterka, this is a much different story.

I think most years there are five good teams in the top five+2 okay teams that aren't very competitive but don't get beat 10-0, and then there's usually one really terrible team that has only a player or two thats been drafted or will be drafted. That team usually can easily lose by 8-9 goals. Then you usually have two an extra team on each side that is seriously bad and can lose by the scores that Austria and Germany did. I'd rather just get rid of the bad Switzerland/Slovakia team from the top group each year than keep them in, and get rid of an Austria/Germany/Kazakstan/Latvia and probably keep another of them in the tournament.

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
I'd rather just get rid of the bad Switzerland/Slovakia team from the top group each year than keep them in, and get rid of an Austria/Germany/Kazakstan/Latvia and probably keep another of them in the tournament.

This discussion irritates me after a game where a team plays with half the roster. Last year Germany lost 1:4 to Canada. The team this year was even better on paper in my opinion. For example the 2 goalies wouldnt play a minute in this tournament if all are healthy.

Reactions: Kleefeld

member 305909

Very unfair scheduling for Germany but let's be real; in a tournament which has got to be done away in two weeks it is impossible to schedule so that it wouldn't be unfair for someone.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
This discussion irritates me after a game where a team plays with half the roster. Last year Germany lost 1:4 to Canada. The team this year was even better on paper in my opinion. For example the 2 goalies wouldnt play a minute in this tournament if all are healthy.

If Germany is better than Switzerland or Slovakia in coming years, which I don't doubt could happen, those countries could get relegated instead. I'm not against a system of merit for the 8 spots, but I also think we should make the top division 8 spots.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Thats your own opinion. Could be right or could be wrong. However, LA clearly disagreed, and they obviously are not regretting their pick two months after it happened.

That’s fair. We’ll be interesting to see how it shakes out. Although I believe they are regretting it. Hopefully the Kings director of scouting chimes in on the thread.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
If Germany is better than Switzerland or Slovakia in coming years, which I don't doubt could happen, those countries could get relegated instead. I'm not against a system of merit for the 8 spots, but I also think we should make the top division 8 spots.

You'll still need a format that allows a certain number of games, it's the Team Canada games regardless of opposition that make the money.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
they will, and it should've happened long ago

They are already beyond Honduras talent-wise. Now they gotta prove it on the field.

I think Costa Rica is still a little more talented, but thats based on having a golden generation in their early 30's that is still playing. Their younger players aren't as good, and I think Canada will eventually pass them. But Costa Rica is still pretty good right now, and I'm not sure Canada is the better team yet.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
This was just horrible to watch. Feel for the Germans, but I guess em good ol Canadian kids feel good about themselves, beating the crap, while doing some stat-padding to get TSN journalist exited, out of 14 tired Germans that had to go back-to-back vs the Finns and then Canadians. IIHF is so tiresome

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
And you are not wrong, when Draisaitl was picked in the Draft, his U20 tournament was horrible. Because he had no Player who had his skill level and compete on his Level.
So Draisaitl still scored Goals and showed a bit of his Game, but his preformance, people called it a downer and look now where he is.

This is a good point. I know it's not what people want to hear, but how can you make a good judgment on Stuetzle's game when he is playing in such an uncompetitive game? I was thinking the same thing while watching Rossi's performance against the USA yesterday.

NHL games are way more competitive, even when it's the best team against the worst team. Each game is close to 50/50 because of the parity within the NHL. In some of these international games, it's nowhere close to that, and we see games where teams look like they have PP's the whole game.

The better games to judge Stuetzle are in the lesser games against Slovakia or Switzerland. Those games should at least be somewhat competitive, and we'll see how dominant he can be in those games. But there's really no good way to judge the top German players in such a lopsided game.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
1. They already added a day, maybe you noticed the tournament started on Christmas this year.
Well than add more... back to backs are completely avoidable. It may be an issue of cost or something else, but I think they’re just stuck in the way they’ve always done it.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Well than add more... back to backs are completely avoidable. It may be an issue of cost or something else, but I think they’re just stuck in the way they’ve always done it.

Did you read the rest of the post? What's your plan? 9 days where you have 0 games every other day? Or 10 days where you have 2 games per day? That's adding 4 days to the round robin. It's nice to have fairness and all but that's way more than "just add a day" and impacts thing like finances, arena logistics, and player availability as you continue to lengthen the tournament.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Very unfair scheduling for Germany but let's be real; in a tournament which has got to be done away in two weeks it is impossible to schedule so that it wouldn't be unfair for someone.
Germany was given the option before tournament started not to play b2b and have day off before they played Canada but they chose to have day off before their final 2 games that they thought they could win if rested and chose to play Canada with no day off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad