Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
That.
Isn’t.
How.
Goal.
Differential.
Works.

Goal differential only comes into play among tied teams. Unless Canada somehow ends up in a three-way tie with Germany as one of the other tied teams, the score in this game will have no impact on the tournament.
That.
Isn't.
True.
The semi finals are reseeded this year. So a tie breaker between the two teams that finish first in the groups is a very very possible outcome.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
You can let the clock run down also without any particular antics. It's not about pity or class, but about playing in the middle of a pandemic. The most embarrassing thing would be to pretend this is a normal tournament.

Run the clock out for the last 30 seconds, sure. But beyond that it is embarrassing for Germany to just stand on the ice and not move. But ignoring that, what point do they start running the clock down? 5 minutes left? 10? Start of the 3rd? Start of the 2nd?

Maybe you didn't grow up playing sports, but anyone who has knows you are there to play, even when losing. If Canada was running around hot digging and running up the score I would be on your side, but when they had muffin shots going in and scoring 50% of the time, there's not much they could have done. This could have been much worse if they didn't slow down after the 1st.

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
These beat downs happen every single year when the top teams face the bottom feeders and every single year the whiny crowd comes out post game :laugh:

Well you gotta wonder the need for Canadians to pump their tires :D it's pretty funny and euros are laughing for their insecurity.

Reactions: Gabe MacAntanen

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
Didn't Canadians once blame Russians in trying to score as many goals as possible in a meaningless situation? Like it was unethical or so?

I don't remember exactly when and where it happened, just vague memories and nothing more. I can be wrong about the whole thing.

Why comment then?

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Anyone who's played hockey has been on both sides of the outcome tonight, in my experience it's worse when the teams stop playing. There's a few things you stop like slapshots and celebrations but other than that you're there to play the full 60.

stagger16

Dec 27, 2020
Lol cry me a river... This is what happens when there’s no NHL and you have 19 first rounders playing. Imagine Lafrenierre and Dach played? LOL the only reason other countries ever have a chance is because Canada’s elite talent is too good for this tournament.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Lol cry me a river... This is what happens when there’s no NHL and you have 19 first rounders playing. Imagine Lafrenierre and Dach played? LOL the only reason other countries ever have a chance is because Canada’s elite talent is too good for this tournament.

Other teams have a chance becuase the games aren't played on paper. The Big 5 all have a chance at gold, even if Canada is the favorite.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Dachs arm looks like a z is why he isnt playing but Germany never had a chance , Canada vs Russia and USA are the games people wait for. Finland and Sweden can upset but now that Czech and Slovakia are separated they are the ones below them and then you have the rest of Europe.

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
Running the score up is not a thing in Germany, at least not in youth football. Sure you will give weaker players more playing time but you dont actively dont try to score. And thats just your regular youth soccer leagues. Have 0 problem with Canada running up the score. As I said yesterday: The biggest sign of respect to your opponent is giving it your all

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
A lot of these kids haven't even played a game of hockey (other than the exhibition against Russia) since last season. So in their first game that actually matters some people think they should go out for a skate and not put an effort in? The entire team needs to work on plenty, shake off rust and gel together. Or should they wait until it's an elimination game to give 100% so the bubble wrap generation doesn't get their feelings hurt?

I'll bet Team Germany isn't even complaining about this.

Reactions: snowkiddin

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
Russian juniors won prestigious men's tournament this year, so I wouldn't be so sure. Other nations like Scandinavians or USA definitely stand a chance against Canada, too. Though, is it really surprising to consider Canada as a biggest favourite? They have more than 700k registered players in total. When you compare it with for example european nations, you'll find out that they have incomparable lower numbers of ice hockey players. In summary, this arrogance is not necessary.

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
im surprised this is a thread (i shouldnt be, i guess)

Canada wasnt showboating or even celebrating after about the sixth goal.

The play wasnt even really that lopsided (especially considering Germany being short) their goalie let in ....... 8 soft as shit goals?

Simplicity

Dec 23, 2017
Running the score up is not a thing in Germany, at least not in youth football. Sure you will give weaker players more playing time but you dont actively dont try to score. And thats just your regular youth soccer leagues. Have 0 problem with Canada running up the score. As I said yesterday: The biggest sign of respect to your opponent is giving it your all
Imagine thinking this was running up the score when the goalies couldn't stop a beach ball. Even average goaltending and this game is not as lopsided as US vs Austria.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Russian juniors won prestigious men's tournament this year, so I wouldn't be so sure. Other nations like Scandinavians or USA definitely stand a chance against Canada, too. Though, is it really surprising to consider Canada as a biggest favourite? They have more than 700k registered players in total. When you compare it with for example european nations, you'll find out that they have incomparable lower numbers of ice hockey players. In summary, this arrogance is not necessary.
there are a lot of things not necessary in this thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad