GDT: Germany Vs Canada | 12/26 @ 6PM ET | TSN/NHLN

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
We don’t, for example, have s Stutzle level of talent.

The world juniors threads seem to get buried with agendas fueled by personal pre-draft rankings, favourite team biases, and nationalism.

Quinton Byfield was picked ahead of Stutzle, so at least one NHL team thinks we probably do.

Byrum was a 4th overall pick, Drysdale a 6th, Cozens a 7th, so those guys are reasonably in the ball park. McMichael outscored Stutzle last year. I saw Perfetti ranked close to him in several pre-draft lists.

You can reasonably believe Stutzle is better than all of them. But objectively, he hasn’t shown himself to be on another level.

Reactions: um and Pip

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The world juniors threads seem to get buried with agendas fueled by personal pre-draft rankings, favourite team biases, and nationalism.

Quinton Byfield was picked ahead of Stutzle, so at least one NHL team thinks we probably do.

Byrum was a 4th overall pick, Drysdale a 6th, Cozens a 7th, so those guys are reasonably in the ball park. McMichael outscored Stutzle last year. I saw Perfetti ranked close to him in several pre-draft lists.

You can reasonably believe Stutzle is better than all of them. But objectively, he hasn’t shown himself to be on another level.
Stutzle plays on a much weaker team. Bygield is a very big boy, who is still developing physically. He is going to be great, but is not where Stutzle is now. To me the most talented offensive guy on Canada is Byram.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

Too bad the Rangers wouldn't allow Lafreniere to play. If they had, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Never play for goal differential. Hate that. Hoping it's a close game and Canada squeaks one out. The best thing for Canada is to get used to playing in tight games.
Such a weird mentality. Why would you want to play a close game against a team we are quite clearly better then? Would it be good for the States to just get by Austria 2-1 tonight because it was a close game? Or would it be a confidence drain knowing you couldn't put away a team you should easily put away.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Wouldn't it be fair and in the spirit of the game if FIN and CAN also iced only 14+2 players vs Germany?
It’s really unfortunate that Germany had to lose players in this. Canada with 14 players would still slaughter full rosters of lesser teams like Germany, Slovakia, Switzerland, etc. and still be able to hang with powerhouses like Russia and USA.

Germany doesn’t have a prayer against the top teams and they’ll be in tough against the other countries too.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
We don’t, for example, have s Stutzle level of talent.
Stutzle is more of a playmaker.

As far as all around talent, Byfield went ahead of him so theoretically he should be better (even though he looked terrible against Russia).

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Here's hoping the german goalie has an all time great single game performance in wjc history. Hey some no name german goalies have done stuff like that to us before (long time ago).

I'm thinking like 2-1 Canada going into the 3rd...but the shots are 63-12 or something....might be the only way this game is enjoyable at all.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Stutzle is more of a playmaker.

As far as all around talent, Byfield went ahead of him so theoretically he should be better (even though he looked terrible against Russia).
Byfield is still developing physically. He’s behind Stutzle in that regard. IMO Stutzle is near his ceiling right now, whereas Byfield is still a few years of physical development away.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Byfield is still developing physically. He’s behind Stutzle in that regard. IMO Stutzle is near his ceiling right now, whereas Byfield is still a few years of physical development away.
I agree Byfield is still developing. He has looked like garbage compared to his peers in best-on-best competition, but he’s also younger. I’m expecting him to have a big tournament. He’s at least at Stutzle’s level.

Perfetti is also close to him. Then there’s the 19 year olds. Canada’s fourth liners are better than Germany’s second best forward, so Stutzle won’t have the help to do anything anyway.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
This reminds of the time my small town NB peewee team played a game against the GTA stars or whatever they were called...

yikes

Reactions: HugoSimon

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I agree Byfield is still developing. He has looked like garbage compared to his peers in best-on-best competition, but he’s also younger. I’m expecting him to have a big tournament. He’s at least at Stutzle’s level.

Perfetti is also close to him. Then there’s the 19 year olds. Canada’s fourth liners are better than Germany’s second best forward, so Stutzle won’t have the help to do anything anyway.
Big guys tend to take longer to become comfortable with their size than little guys. Byfield is a very big boy.

Reactions: snowkiddin

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
The coach and team really hung Malik out to dry in the 3rd... Mercy pull should have happened after the 6th...

Wrong thread..my bad

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I think Byfield was the right pick over Stutzle by the way and I’m hoping this tournament is his coming out party
I like Byfield too, but just believe he’s physically not mature enough yet to play (really well and shine) at the speed this tournament’s top teams play at.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad