German Football Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Schalke keep letting their players' contracts run out and keep losing them for free.

Goretzka is a good player but I don't see him really improving Bayern's midfield. They could choose just about any young midfielder they want. Doesn't make a ton of sense to go for Goretzka; they could go for someone with more potential, even as a backup.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Goretzka's arguably the best central midfielder in the Bundesliga so far this season (Keita's been out-of-form/suspended). He'd be an upgrade on Tolisso plus he's like 10 years younger than Vidal. Pretty much the perfect and safe target imo. I don't really see any other German CMs that are U-25 in the Bundesliga and can get into the Bayern line-up even on a rotation basis outside of the two Dortmund ones that aren't moving and maybe Dominik Kohr who would likely be a sub at most.

So they should go for him. Better than him ending up on Liverpool or Barcelona.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Why don't you like him?

You seem to be the low person on Goretzka. Why's that?

I'm not the only one. cgf also said he's not as good as the likes of Demirbay and Dahoud. He's a good player, but he has not been close to the best CM in Germany this year. Let's not forget this is the league in which Thiago Alcantara plays.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I have no problem with Wolfsburg or Leverkusen tanking either but could they please sell their actually good players to other teams first if they're going to do so? The player quality isn't really going down overall in the league. Just some teams are wasting good rosters.

Henrichs & Schreck to you guys

Reus - Auba - Yarmo
Dahoud - Gotze
Weigl
Raphael - Toprak - Bartra - Henrichs
----------------------------
Auba - Yarmo
Gotze
Raphael - Dahoud
Weigl
Schmelzer - Bartra - Toprak - Henrichs
Brandt to Bayern;

Lewy - Müller
Brandt/Alaba - Thiago - Vidal - Robben/Brandt
Kimmich
Hummels - Boa - Martinez
------------------------
Lewandowski
Brandt/Müller - Hamez/Müller
Brandt/Alaba - Thiago - Vidal - Robben/Brandt
Hummels - Boa - Kimmich​

Havertz, Akkaynak & Tah to Leipzig;

Werner - Augustin
Havertz
Forsberg - Keita - Laimer - Kampl
Upamecano - Tah - Klostermannn
---------------------------------
Werner - Augustin
Forsberg - Keita - Havertz - Kampl
Akkaynak/Laimer
Upamecano - Tah - Klostermannn​

Wendell & Bailey to BMG;

Raffael - Stindl
Hazard
Wendell - Kramer - Zakaria - Bailey
Veste - Ginter - Elvedi
----------------------------
Raffael - Stindl
Wendell - Cuisance - Kramer - Bailey
Zakaria
Veste - Ginter - Elvedi​

Volland & Retsos to Hoffenheim

Kramaric - Volland/Uth
Volland/Zuber - Demirbay - Amiri - Kaderabek/Gnabry
Grillitsch/Geiger
Hubner - Vogt - Retsos
-------------------------------
Gnabry - Kramaric - Volland
Zuber - Demirbay - Geiger - Kaderabek
Hubner - Vogt - Retsos​

Alario & Jedvaj to Werder;

Kruse - Alario
Augustinson - Kainz - Delaney - Bartels
Junuzovic
Jedvaj - Moisander - Bauer​

Youth: Eggestein (FW), Manneh (FW); Barry (W); Mbom (MF), Schneider (AMF), Philipp (AMF), Gruev (MF), Toure (MF), Schmidt (AMF); Verlaat (CB)​

Last edited:

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I said best CM so far this year. Thiago hasn't been on form and he's only played around 4 games. Dahoud and Weigl both give the ball away a lot more and are good but more raw plus less of an offensive threat and haven't played even half the Bundesliga games this season either. Demirbay's 3 years older and not even in the same league as the other 3 defensively.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Thiago has also been better than Goretzka this year

Dahoud and Weigl objectively lose the ball less than Goretzka in this short season. They are better dribblers in midfield, and offer more of an offensive threat through their buildup play. You're right that they haven't played much this season. They are both clearly better players than Goretzka over the past 2+ years. And some other CMs are better than Goretzka this year.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I said best CM so far this year. Thiago hasn't been on form and he's only played around 4 games. Dahoud and Weigl both give the ball away a lot more and are good but more raw plus less of an offensive threat and haven't played even half the Bundesliga games this season either. Demirbay's 3 years older and not even in the same league as the other 3 defensively.

Weigl does not give the ball away more, he's one of the best possession CM's in the world, and I think Dahoud has better offense than Goretzka. Goretzka's a mix of the two because he combines good defense and good offense, he's also big and athletic, but worse than Weigl and Dahoud at their best attributes. Weigl is smarter defensively and a better passer, Dahoud is more of an offensive threat and nearly as athletic.

I'd take both over Goretzka, but all three are very good. Regardless, I hope Dortmund can keep ahold of Weigl, Dahoud and Goetze. That has the potential to be one of the best midfields in the world. Having that midfield makes things so much easier, a lot more margin for error offensively and defensively in future years.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Şahin deserves to be mentioned too, one of the most important pieces in the best team currently.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Şahin deserves to be mentioned too, one of the most important pieces in the best team currently.

It was unsustainable. He had a few nice games, he's not a terrible player, but no way is he one of the best CM's in Germany. He'd be a good player on a lower level team, but up there with the absolute best CM's? Absolutely not, IMO. He's one of the problems at Dortmund, I don't trust him to adequately play as a back up for Weigl, although he's done well enough in that role to start the season.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Freiburg trolling Hoffenheim, Well done, Streich.

Surprisingly Willy is putting Carlo's benchwarmers on the pitch. Bayern-Berlin 1:0.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Yeah I knew he was gonna start Ribery because of the whole shitstorm and Mueller as well but those two are no longer starters compared to James/Coman in my eyes. Ribery hasn't been as bad in this game at least in fairness, Berlin deciding to mostly sit back and counter at home makes it easier for him.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Yeah I knew he was gonna start Ribery because of the whole ****storm and Mueller as well but those two are no longer starters compared to James/Coman in my eyes. Ribery hasn't been as bad in this game at least in fairness, Berlin deciding to mostly sit back and counter at home makes it easier for him.

He put the entire "old school" on the pitch. Hummels, Boateng, Robbery. And he did rightfully so. Carlo was out of his mind in Paris.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
He wasn't out of his mind for not starting Robbery. Playing Martinez instead of Boateng/Hummels at CB might have been stupid but Ribery in particular is no good against a team like PSG anymore. THis sort of game is perfect for Ribery, he doesn't really have to move his old legs outside of the final third much, the team has lots of possession and not that much running for him. The PSG game was a lot more back and forth, his main mistake on the left in that game was not instructing Alaba to defend more leaving that entire left side constantly open to the counter.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
He subbed off Robben for Thiago (strange) and then of course Ribery injures himself a minute later...

Also they aren't good enough anymore to play this high a line but of course they'll just blame the backup GK instead.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Thiago has also been better than Goretzka this year

Dahoud and Weigl objectively lose the ball less than Goretzka in this short season. They are better dribblers in midfield, and offer more of an offensive threat through their buildup play. You're right that they haven't played much this season. They are both clearly better players than Goretzka over the past 2+ years. And some other CMs are better than Goretzka this year.

I was one of the first to fall for LeGo's tools when he was a freshly 17 year old winger for Bochum, but god damn is he over-rated by a lot of folks now because of those tools and his goals. But unfortunately, he's not even close to the level of Dahoud, Kramer, Demirbay, Amiri, Weigl, Kimmich, etc.

If his brain ever catches up he could reach their level, but as is he's a deep lying counter-striker who has no clue what to do in possession without first taking a few touches. And he gets very reckless positionally against the ball.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Claudio Pizarro having to be subbed on for the useless Cordoba who's injured himself. Bittencourt is the only decent looking player for them.

RB if they had a coach who improved their movement off the ball in possession and dealt with counters better then they would destroy teams like this.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
RB really needed to start Augustin with Werner injured. They have no proper striker on, Bruma/Poulsen are only complementary to a striker. Augustin can be a bit of a target man with composed finishing at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad