German Football Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'd play Augustin & Sabitzer up front in Werner's absence...granted I'd play a 3-1-4-2 or a 3-4-1-2 with that personnel; with Klostermann joining Upamecano & Orban in the back three; three of Keita, Kampl, Laimer & Abouchabaka in the midfield; and Forsberg on one wing with Kampl or Bruma on the other.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
They don't really have the holding midfielders yet to play 3 at the back unless Keita plays deep which is a waste of his talent imo. Plus an unadventurous coach. But then again Klostermann and Halstenberg aren't good enough fullbacks defensively to be part of a good back 4 either.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
With three at the back & their focus on pressing; Keita & Kampl/Laimer with Abouchabaka/Sabitzer sitting between those two & the front two, or Keita & Kampl in front of Laimer, is more than good enough.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Duisburg managed to lose 3:1 to Düsseldorf in the second league - despite having 29 shots on goal and among other great achievements like a missed penalty also hitting a post 4 times in the same situation. That must hurt.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Werner injury more serious than I thought, withdrawn from the international team (so either they'll have to play a false 10 with Stindl leading or play Wagner I'm guessing).

Also pretty funny report from Kicker on Ancelotti and Bayern's training (or lack of):

"Robben, Neuer, Müller and Boateng as well as Lahm and Alonso last season complained to the Bayern board about Carlo's training methods. They felt he didn't improve the team or the players. Robben specifically said his son received better training with his youth team than Bayern did with Ancelotti. When the players organized individual training sessions on their own, Ancelotti forbade them. Players then moved to a different location for those training sessions. His fitness coach was smoking in the locker room and didn't do sufficient warm-up training (according to Kicker: Sometimes only 3 minutes). Ahead of the game against PSG, for the first time (!!) during his tenure in Munich, video analysis were made, but their results didn't enter the preparation for the game. There was no in-game coaching. All Ancelotti told them during the draw against Wolfsburg at HT was "you have to watch out better". Kimmich, Coman and Boateng were thinking about leaving the club. The team atmosphere was toxic because Ancelotti seemed to favour the Spanish players without an apparent reason."

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Now Müller & co. no longer have that excuse. They started "proving" their point by playing like shit against Hertha. If Boateng wants to leave in his current form, that will be for Fürth rather than Manchester City.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Fantastic chance for Dormund with Bayern Munich in apparent disarray. Their dip in form is probably temporary though, Bayern have class and that's probably why fivethirtyeight.com still has them favoured to win the League (52% to 45% for BvB)

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Heynckes? Really? It's 2017. Hoeness needs to retire, idiot is holding the club back. What an uninspired choice.

Also interestingly Plattenhardt is the only fit LB in the international squad. I fully expect Loew to not even bother to use him.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Heynckes? Really? It's 2017. Hoeness needs to retire, idiot is holding the club back. What an uninspired choice.

Also interestingly Plattenhardt is the only fit LB in the international squad. I fully expect Loew to not even bother to use him.

Uhh, I mean, Hoeness should go cause he's gross, but Nagelsmann isn't an uninspired choice next summer and I imagine the number of candidates willing just to keep the seat warm for him was pretty small.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Heynckes is a great choice instead of something silly like Tuchel, even if he doesn't win the treble this time around. For once I'm impressed. :bow:

Reactions: theprofessor

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004

If you think twice Heynckes ain't a bad choice. Bayern go for Nagelsmann, that's pretty clear. But he isn't available now. It's obvious the negotaions with Tuchel didn't go well and I'm sure Bayern didn't really want him anyway. So Heynckes would be a stop-gab this season.

IMO Bayern realized they will not win the CL with the current group of players, the fitness issues the team has.
I think they decided this year will be a transition year, challenging for the league title and that's about it. They might think about spending big time next summer, replacing Ribery and making the team competative all around.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Heynckes is a great choice instead of something silly like Tuchel, even if he doesn't win the treble this time around. For once I'm impressed. :bow:

How would Tuchel have been silly?

Imagine he wins the treble with that squad... :D
The Pep fans humiliation ! :D

Far more likely, the people left with an idealized memory of Heynckes's team dismantling Barca in the treble season will get a reminder of how good he actually is.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
And yet isn't it what you're doing?
Or maybe you're an insider?

The onus isn't on him to disprove bad interpersonal skills, though. There weren't any issues at Mainz at the time - his relationship with Heidel was good, even after the rumored ask of his to be released from his contract during his sabbatical. The only issues he's had really are with Watzke, who is hardly an authority on personal skills, and players with limited talent that had trouble making his team like Sahin and Schmelzer. I completely agree that people have badly exaggerated what is there to know about his interpersonal skills.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It blows me away that people take Watzke's side over Tuchel. I assume much of it comes from the same out-dated thinking that is at the heart of all pep hate; but it still shocks me that so many people seem to be so unwilling to accept that the game has evolved.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
It blows me away that people take Watzke's side over Tuchel. I assume much of it comes from the same out-dated thinking that is at the heart of all pep hate; but it still shocks me that so many people seem to be so unwilling to accept that the game has evolved.

I don't think that's it. Many BVB fans are taking one side because Aki/Sahin/Schmeltzer are still theirs, while TT isn't. Others just dislike TT because he's outspoken and doesn't bother to hide his intelligence - he just doesn't have the "would like to have a beer with" factor for the average fan. They'd expect him to stare at them disapprovingly, while lecturing them on the benefits of a different dietary approach.

Reactions: Deficient Mode

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The onus isn't on him to disprove bad interpersonal skills, though. There weren't any issues at Mainz at the time - his relationship with Heidel was good, even after the rumored ask of his to be released from his contract during his sabbatical.

At the time as in when? Before the Müller case, or his contact with Schalke?

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
And yet isn't it what you're doing?
Or maybe you're an insider?

So are we going to talk about Carlo having bad interpersonal skills the rest of his career? I think what happened with Tuchel isn't that exceptional. Losing part of the locker room isn't rare. In the vast majority of cases, it isn't depicted as a permanent flaw that will prevent a manager from succeeding at his next job.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Line-up, Goretzka's on the wing I think

DLZD30cXkAAqKhL.jpg:large

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad