WC: General Talk '12 — Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Anyone else feeling like we could be in trouble tomorrow against Belarus? OT wouldnt surprise me one bit, first game with complete lineup at home, our game could seem very nervous.

Belarus gets couple lucky breaks and great goaltending = anything can happen.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
Anyone else feeling like we could be in trouble tomorrow against Belarus? OT wouldnt surprise me one bit, first game with complete lineup at home, our game could seem very nervous.

Belarus gets couple lucky breaks and great goaltending = anything can happen.

I don't think so, our training games against Belarus were pretty easy. Though their trap game is always hard to play against, but Finland is so much better team and will possibly get the advance with powerplay goals like often against them.

ThinMcWhistle

Mar 26, 2005
Northern hemisphere
I don't think so, our training games against Belarus were pretty easy. Though their trap game is always hard to play against, but Finland is so much better team and will possibly get the advance with powerplay goals like often against them.

Finland needs to watch out for Grabovski, a very dangerous offensive player. They need to shut him down with physical play.

Other than that, should be an easy win for Les Lions.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga

You shouldn`t be so confident,if their goalie Koval goes hot you could be in heap of trouble.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I think we still have the better goalie in Lehtonen... But your warning is well taken, Belarus is still a dangerous team and has been able to pull off upsets in the past.

We do. But in a one game, better doesn't always win.

I hope they take Belarus seriously right from the start. We win like 29 times out of 30, don't give them that chance.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Just curious here, but what is the logic behind putting Jokinnen on Koivu's wing as opposed to second line center? It seems to me Finland would be better off seperating the talent a bit and putting the player that is likely the 2nd best center on your team at Wing seems wierd. Seems like Granlund would be a logic person to play off Koivu's wing(espiecially being as that is where he is going to play next year) and having Jokinnen on the 2nd line center.

tuozzi

Dec 9, 2011
Turku
Just curious here, but what is the logic behind putting Jokinnen on Koivu's wing as opposed to second line center? It seems to me Finland would be better off seperating the talent a bit and putting the player that is likely the 2nd best center on your team at Wing seems wierd. Seems like Granlund would be a logic person to play off Koivu's wing(espiecially being as that is where he is going to play next year) and having Jokinnen on the 2nd line center.

You really don't wanna break up the Immonen-Granlund chemistry. And playing MiG with Koivu just cause they'll play together next year would only benefit Minnesota...I'm guessing that's not a high priority for the coach.

Mara

May 10, 2011

I guess the idea is to put the NHL talent to the same line to create a "strong first punch" and the coach doesn't want to break up the Granlund-Immonen connection that was on fire last year.

E: Too slow. But to add, there's no doubt about it that if the second line doesn't click again the coach will make changes quickly.

FinRuutu

Red Wins
Feb 7, 2010
Helsinki
You're taking this too seriously, bro.

I would be ok with Filppula having even sog :). He should shoot more.

Haven't seen him much this year have you?

Filppula 11-12 is different from 06-11 Filppula. As a winger he has been shooting from all positions.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
It seems weird only to those who don't obviously know Finnish players outside the NHL.

Jokinen may play center in an adequate manner for NHL level, but that doesn't mean he's the second best centre in that team. In fact, there are three or four guys between him and Koivu who are more likely to be placed in the middle if need be.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I'll predict, we beat Belarus 2-1 in regular time or 2-1 in a SO. Don't forget Belarus coach Heikkilä knows Finns inside out and i'm sure he's saved some tactical tricks for the WC and didn't show everything in the practise games. Both teams got more players after the practise games, but our's got little bit stronger compared to their's, but I think it doesn't matter because Belarus will play better than they did before.

It really comes down to the penalties & goaltending like usual. If Belarus goalie is hot, which is very possible and they can avoid the penalties we might be in a trouble.

I'll also say that if some of our offensive lines play bad Jalonen wont be making huge changes yet, he'll probably wait after game 2 is done since this WC has a lot of group stage games so he can give them some extra time to try to find the chemistry. I'll predict #2 and #3 will get changes in a few games, so PIG and Kapanen-Komarov lines will be changed.

Last edited:

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Surprisingly good quality in this USA-France game btw, not like the EHT games. Seems like its worth the money.

They designed this new player for WC.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Surprisingly good quality in this USA-France game btw, not like the EHT games. Seems like its worth the money.

They designed this new player for WC.

What do u mean? Im watching Canal+, i spotted that the camera is higher than in SM-Liiga or eht.. i dont like that myself.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Tero Lehterä is so awful commentator. Why did they hire him for that job.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA