WC: General Talk '12 — Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinHockey

Sex Metal Barbie
Nov 10, 2009
Finland
Swedish gossip magazine excessen listed "the stars of the world championships". Oddly enough Filppula was Finland's contribution to the list..

I'm shocked they listed anyone considering the **** Team Finland often gets from the Swedish papers.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I just chatted with an English-speaking buddy about our team and he complained that Finnish names are pretty darn strange.

So, for his and other foreigners' convenience, I translated our team in English. I liked the result so much that I post it here too, for everyone to see:

Brocko, Garry
Groveson, Gary
Verdantson, Pete

Cinderson, Joseph
Hillback, Mike
Jacker, Toby
Lakeson, Jonas
Necker, Jan
Roostersson, Lars
Straiter, Angus
Wringson, Oswald

Beaverstream, Andy
Birch, Mike
Delta, Jesse
Failson, Walt
Gallonson, Nick
Gortong, Leon
Grizzler, Pete
Riverson, Jonathan
Ruffeson, Thomas
Scabbardsson, Jean
Sprucegrove, Michael
Virgensson, Jake
Washerson, Jan
Wheeler, Mick

Hopefully people from other countries find it easier to root for us now.

Mara

May 10, 2011
I just chatted with an English-speaking buddy about our team and he complained that Finnish names are pretty darn strange.

So, for his and other foreigners' convenience, I translated our team in English. I liked the result so much that I post it here too, for everyone to see:

Brocko, Garry
Groveson, Gary
Verdantson, Pete

Cinderson, Joseph
Hillback, Mike
Jacker, Toby
Lakeson, Jonas
Necker, Jan
Roostersson, Lars
Straiter, Angus
Wringson, Oswald

Beaverstream, Andy
Birch, Mike
Delta, Jesse
Failson, Walt
Gallonson, Nick
Gortong, Leon
Grizzler, Pete
Riverson, Jonathan
Ruffeson, Thomas
Scabbardsson, Jean
Sprucegrove, Michael
Virgensson, Jake
Washerson, Jan
Wheeler, Mick

You should've included the original names so people can be sure who's who. But pretty good job. ;)

EverybodyLovesRay

Sep 21, 2008

Brocko, Garry
Groveson, Gary
Verdantson, Pete

Cinderson, Joseph
Hillback, Mike
Jacker, Toby
Lakeson, Jonas
Necker, Jan
Roostersson, Lars
Straiter, Angus
Wringson, Oswald

Beaverstream, Andy
Birch, Mike
Delta, Jesse
Failson, Walt
Gallonson, Nick
Gortong, Leon
Grizzler, Pete
Riverson, Jonathan
Ruffeson, Thomas
Scabbardsson, Jean
Sprucegrove, Michael
Virgensson, Jake
Washerson, Jan
Wheeler, Mick

Haha nice job :D

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Forgot team management...

Johan Nobleson, Head Coach
Pete Mulletson, Coach
Basil Grasson, Coach
Jerry Skimmilk, General Manager
Tim Porker, Team Leader

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Forgot team management...

Johan Nobleson, Head Coach
Pete Mulletson, Coach
Basil Grasson, Coach

Jerry Skimmilk, General Manager
Tim Porker, Team Leader

HAHAGHHA :laugh:

They really should make them official. But shoulnd Jari Kurri be Jerry Curry thought.

FinnswissX

May 20, 2005
Michael's younger brother, apparently.

Ah yes, of course. I think he will get his chance in the Nt one day. Hopefully Granlund and J. Immonen are in form again, both played impressive last year in my opinion, especially Granlund.

It would be very nice if Finland could defend the title, they would be the first team since 1986 that wins the title at home.

But it will be difficult Canada should have a strong team this year at the WHC and Sweden too.

ThinMcWhistle

Mar 26, 2005
Northern hemisphere
Not happy with the exclusion of Nokelainen and Petrell, Tuppurainen and Kiiskinen as replacements. Not sure why these two small forwards that had decent seasons in the SM liiga were thought by Jalonen to be better?

Happy about Peltonen though, thanks to him for all his services but it was time.

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
Kontiola is Nokelainen's replacement, not Tuppurainen or Kiiskinen.

ThinMcWhistle

Mar 26, 2005
Northern hemisphere
Kontiola is Nokelainen's replacement, not Tuppurainen or Kiiskinen.

I don't mind Kontiola, the way I see it is Petrell and Noki were left off the team and and Tuppurainen and Kiiskinen made it.

I'll be honest with you, I don't really know anything about those two players as I live in Canada, but I am fixated on the fact that we could have used some size on this team and especially Petrell played a fine game in Edmonton this season.

Hopefully these two turn out to be a pleasant surprise.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I don't mind Kontiola, the way I see it is Petrell and Noki were left off the team and and Tuppurainen and Kiiskinen made it.
Finland has no lack of physical grinders. Apart from Petrell and Nokelainen, there were also Pihlström and Joensuu, plus Komarov who was already considered a lock from the outside.

With five such similar players, it was clear some of them would be cut no matter who else might or might not make it in. It's good to have some headbangers but there was never need for almost two lines' worth of 'em.

Yes, Petrell had a good season in Edmonton and Nokelainen did what was asked of him in Montreal, but when they were placed in direct comparison with those three who were competing for the same spots, they put up the weakest showing.

No special talent was lost from the team when Petrell and Nokelainen got cut. So even if you think the showings of Tuppurainen and Kiiskinen leave something to be desired, they're not comparable to Lennu and Noki. If some of Joensuu, Komarov or Pihlström end up being less than adequate, then it's right to question what Petrell or Nokelainen could have done in lieu of them.

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland

I'll be honest with you, I don't really know anything about those two players as I live in Canada, but I am fixated on the fact that we could have used some size on this team and especially Petrell played a fine game in Edmonton this season.

Hopefully these two turn out to be a pleasant surprise.

It's been wildly speculated that Kiiskinen was the reason why Peltonen got dropped out of the team. Petrell would have been nice, but we Joensuu who had more energy and speed. And then there is Komarov who is just gold NT team.

What im trying to say is im happy with the selections. I trust Jalonen in case Tuppurainen.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
I don't think this team has enough game breaking players. Granlund hasn't really been that convincing compared to his shape last year. Overall, I think the defense is suspect and there isn't enough high-end talent. With our limited pool of top players, we can ill afford to have so many declining/injured.

My prediction: we will overachieve as usual, but lose in the semifinals. However, if goalies play lights out and team defense finds the groove, we obviously have a chance to go all the way.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
My prediction: we will overachieve as usual, but lose in the semifinals. However, if goalies play lights out and team defense finds the groove, we obviously have a chance to go all the way.

I'm not completely sure can Finland face Canada again already in the semis, I guess they can, so I'll predict that in semis Finland would beat Sweden or Russia, but would lose to Canada and possibly even to the Czechs if they'd get that far.

I think this team is the perfect anti-Sweden team. I hope we'll face their close to all-star team this tournament and beat them. All Swedes will be humble after that.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I'm not completely sure can Finland face Canada again already in the semis, I guess they can, so I'll predict that in semis Finland would beat Sweden or Russia, but would lose to Canada and possibly even to the Czechs if they'd get that far.

I think this team is the perfect anti-Sweden team. I hope we'll face their close to all-star team this tournament and beat them. All Swedes will be humble after that.

The czech usually have a hard time against finnish style of play.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
The czech usually have a hard time against finnish style of play.
And Russians. We don't have a bad track record against USA either. For Swedes, it's even.

So yeah, that leaves no more than one to be truly dreaded...

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
And Russians. We don't have a bad track record against USA either. For Swedes, it's even.

So yeah, that leaves no more than one to be truly dreaded...

Swedes are a tough opponent for Finland. Unless they play Fasth in goal. Nurminen has his game down to small details. Not a goalie that strives against high forechecking and long shots at all.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
All Swedes will be humble after that.

Swedes humble? Like Italians subdued, Finns outgoing, Americans knowledgeable about other countries, Canadians modest about their hockey depth, Norwegians not caring about winter sports?

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Did that really come as a surprise to anyone?

Our top-six has been well-known and locked for a long while. Honestly, I'm more interested in the composition of 3rd and 4th line. Still some room for variation there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad