OT: General OT Stuff (Infinity+3)(No Politics/Spoilers, see OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I hear amazon.com isn't delivering in this area on Friday. If you planned on ordering anything, do it now and pay the 1 day shipping, or go to the store.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Since I dont know how well equipped services are in that area, if you do get 2 feet over the weekend, will roads and such be back to 'normal' by Thursday?

I'm trying to plan a trip.

thx.

:)

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Since I dont know how well equipped services are in that area, if you do get 2 feet over the weekend, will roads and such be back to 'normal' by Thursday?

I'm trying to plan a trip.

thx.

:)

I think in 2010 there were back roads that were in bad shape for several days but the main roads were mostly cleared in a day or two? Some shoulders and exit ramps were not very good. Same with private parking lots.

Keep an eye on the extended forecast since there's a slight chance of more snow next week as well according to the NWS.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
I think in 2010 there were back roads that were in bad shape for several days but the main roads were mostly cleared in a day or two? Some shoulders and exit ramps were not very good. Same with private parking lots.

Keep an eye on the extended forecast since there's a slight chance of more snow next week as well according to the NWS.

We were double whammied in Feb 2010. We had the one storm that dump around 18-24 inches, then a few days later we got another 8-10 inches

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
We were double whammied in Feb 2010. We had the one storm that dump around 18-24 inches, then a few days later we got another 8-10 inches

Yeah, it was bad. I think the plowing priority affected the offramp and shoulder situation. Some areas just got rutted in and stayed that way for a long time. At least here in Hoco.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
TIMING...SNOW THIS WEDNESDAY EVENING...THEN HEAVY SNOW FRIDAY
AFTERNOON THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT. CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED TO
DETERIORATE FRIDAY AFTERNOON WITH THE HEAVIEST SNOW...STRONGEST
WINDS...AND POTENTIAL LIFE THREATENING CONDITIONS EXPECTED
FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT.

* IMPACTS...ROADS THIS EVENING WILL BE SNOW COVERED AND
SLIPPERY...AND THIS WILL MAKE TRAVELLING HAZARDOUS. FOR FRIDAY
AFTERNOON THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT...HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW
WILL CAUSE DANGEROUS CONDITIONS AND WILL BE A THREAT TO LIFE AND
PROPERTY.
TRAVEL IS EXPECTED TO BE SEVERELY LIMITED IF NOT
IMPOSSIBLE DURING THE HEIGHT OF THE STORM FRIDAY NIGHT AND
SATURDAY. VISIBILITY WILL BE REDUCED TO NEAR ZERO AT TIMES IN
WHITEOUT CONDITIONS.

i loved this part from the national weather service :amazed:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
i loved this part from the national weather service :amazed:

The person I quoted before may well have written that.

It's high time they stop screwing around and I am glad to see them say it.

Remember snowmaggeden or whatever cutsie ;) name they gave it, NWS issues an advisory and finally at 11am, upgrades it to warning. Everyone that cared to dig knew they were royally screwing up that forecast. It was far too late at that point, as DC can't empty quickly enough. The skies unloaded at 4pm. I had friends stuck in their car overnight.

With the afternoon start time, I can see many getting screwed and let out of work late.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I've been thinking all day they're going to move the Caps game to earlier in the day, but who knows. It's vs the Ducks. No visiting fans trekking out to worry about.

I have no idea how they'd notify everyone other than eblasting, robocalling, and alerting every relevant media outlet. Maybe they're waiting to see how the forecast changes.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
ABC7 showed a snowfall prediction graphic, and the entire map was 1-2 feet, near the bay aside which is always low. I was figuring it should be 1-2+ as I think we will see some 30's in what turns out to be in the death band.

They stopped screwing around trying to predict the small variations that are all but guesses with a possible historic storm.

Ironic - I bet many out tonight stuck in traffic were going shopping to prepare for the storm. Holy smokes, call up your Google Maps app traffic on. Disaster.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
The person I quoted before may well have written that.

It's high time they stop screwing around and I am glad to see them say it.

Remember snowmaggeden or whatever cutsie ;) name they gave it, NWS issues an advisory and finally at 11am, upgrades it to warning. Everyone that cared to dig knew they were royally screwing up that forecast. It was far too late at that point, as DC can't empty quickly enough. The skies unloaded at 4pm. I had friends stuck in their car overnight.

With the afternoon start time, I can see many getting screwed and let out of work late.

Thought I was going to have to spend the night at my office in Tysons Corner for that one. I tried getting out of tysons but after an hour not even getting more than a mile or two out decided to come back which took me another hour. Think I finally tried again around 1am and made it home pretty quickly by that point.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
They screwed up again. A winter weather advisory was issued when it started snowing tonight at 6pm. Like usual, too late. I am signed up for alerts, and didn't even get one.

With it so freaking cold the past 3 days, trouble on the roads was obviously fairly easy to predict. A travel advisory should have been released by a govt since the NWS struggles with basic communications.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Thought I was going to have to spend the night at my office in Tysons Corner for that one. I tried getting out of tysons but after an hour not even getting more than a mile or two out decided to come back which took me another hour. Think I finally tried again around 1am and made it home pretty quickly by that point.

Commuted with ma lady back then. Her boss wanted to have a meeting with her at 3pm. I was livid. I parked outside and waited. 30 minutes later we drove away, and got home at 4 as the skies unloaded. That boss? commuted to Frederick, and never made it home that night :laugh:

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
So I moved at the beginning of December. Today I realized that we accidentally left something at the old house -- our snow shovel.

Ugh. It's gonna be a pain trying to find one.

Home Depot and Walmart were sold out when I tried to find one today. At least my dad and I can share the one we still have. Good luck with your search.

I've been thinking all day they're going to move the Caps game to earlier in the day, but who knows. It's vs the Ducks. No visiting fans trekking out to worry about.

I have no idea how they'd notify everyone other than eblasting, robocalling, and alerting every relevant media outlet. Maybe they're waiting to see how the forecast changes.

I wonder what'll happen with the Sunday game? I'm going to that one with my dad, but I've got a bad feeling that one's gonna be played and we won't be able to make it.

Sep 19, 2008
Snow causes 150+ accidents, traffic nightmare in DC area

WUSA 9 Staff, WUSA
7 hours ago
Facebook
Twitter
Google Plus
more
About an inch of snow Wednesday night caused nightmare traffic conditions across the D.C. area, leaving countless drivers stuck behind the wheel for hours.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I have tickets for the Sunday match up with the Penguins at 12:30 PM. I would imagine the game will be cancelled/rescheduled. Pens are playing at home on Saturday against the Canucks at 12:30 PM so doubt that they'll be able to make it to D.C. for the Sunday game but we'll see.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Thinking about coming down for the Superbowl Sunday game against the Flyers with my dad and brother. Do you think the Superbowl will have any effect on ticket prices for the day? It's a 12:30 start so it doesn't mess with the Superbowl at all.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC

My nightmare is metroing to the game and then Metro shutting down the outdoor stations.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
I have tickets for the Sunday match up with the Penguins at 12:30 PM. I would imagine the game will be cancelled/rescheduled. Pens are playing at home on Saturday against the Canucks at 12:30 PM so doubt that they'll be able to make it to D.C. for the Sunday game but we'll see.

They could move it to later in the day, but I doubt the Sunday game is in risk of being cancelled.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
DC is forecast to have 20" by Saturday at 7am, so the game may happen. But expect DC roads to be a mess, maybe for weeks. I would swear they don't even plow many of the side roads. Maybe they can't because of parked cars etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad