OT: General OT Stuff (Infinity+3)(No Politics/Spoilers, see OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Not really a nostalgia guy but TRU going being my first real teen age job and forming some epic friends from those days is...I don't know...kind expected in this day and age of disruption.

Toys R Us to close all 800 of its U.S. stores

The tysons corner TRU is where I was at. Closing time/summer time every employee would show up at closing time in search of party time central.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Not really a nostalgia guy but TRU going being my first real teen age job and forming some epic friends from those days is...I don't know...kind expected in this day and age of disruption.

Toys R Us to close all 800 of its U.S. stores

The tysons corner TRU is where I was at. Closing time/summer time every employee would show up at closing time in search of party time central.
I've been following this. It's crazy to me that toy stores everywhere are closing down. I remember going to Toys R Us as a kid with birthday money in hand looking for the latest and greatest toy. Sadly, kids now a days are shoved iPads and iPhones in their faces to shut them up and mobile games have been a disruptor.

I'm surprised Toys R Us didn't try to close their struggling stores and try and become more of an online retailer with brick and mortar locations in strategic, high populated areas. That seems to be the biggest trend lately with other retailers focusing on online shopping. PetSmart bought Chewy.com, Target invested in Casper, Walmart has decreased their shipping time, etc.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I've been following this. It's crazy to me that toy stores everywhere are closing down. I remember going to Toys R Us as a kid with birthday money in hand looking for the latest and greatest toy. Sadly, kids now a days are shoved iPads and iPhones in their faces to shut them up and mobile games have been a disruptor.

I'm surprised Toys R Us didn't try to close their struggling stores and try and become more of an online retailer with brick and mortar locations in strategic, high populated areas. That seems to be the biggest trend lately with other retailers focusing on online shopping. PetSmart bought Chewy.com, Target invested in Casper, Walmart has decreased their shipping time, etc.

It's not the iPhone and the iPad that killed Toys R Us. It's Amazon. Just like Amazon is killing many other retailers. This is the next evolution of retail, for better or worse.

Reactions: g00n

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
It's not the iPhone and the iPad that killed Toys R Us. It's Amazon. Just like Amazon is killing many other retailers. This is the next evolution of retail, for better or worse.
Well yeah Amazon is clearly the leader in terms of any type of retailer and they continue to disrupt just about every market. That's why the companies I listed are trying to increase their E-Commerce platforms to try and keep up with the changing times.

Smartphone and tablets are also a part of what's killing the toy industry. Kids are being introduced to them at an early age and are playing mobile games constantly. They've taken the place of coloring books and small toys when families are out to eat or at church. The other factor is the rise of online gaming for middle school and high school aged kids. Kids would rather spend their gift cards or money to upgrade their characters/games on Xbox or Playstation.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Well yeah Amazon is clearly the leader in terms of any type of retailer and they continue to disrupt just about every market. That's why the companies I listed are trying to increase their E-Commerce platforms to try and keep up with the changing times.

Smartphone and tablets are also a part of what's killing the toy industry. Kids are being introduced to them at an early age and are playing mobile games constantly. They've taken the place of coloring books and small toys when families are out to eat or at church. The other factor is the rise of online gaming for middle school and high school aged kids. Kids would rather spend their gift cards or money to upgrade their characters/games on Xbox or Playstation.

That's true, and being born in 1996, I've experienced the two sides of it. I grew up with toys only until the age of 7-8, but then I had an iPod and a Playstation in middle school and high school. I obviously liked video games, but I would always prefer going outdoors to play hockey or soccer with my friends.

My younger brother and sister are infatuated with their iPad but my parents are strict in that regard and don't allow them to look at screens for more than 1 hour per day. The rest of the time, they play with their toys.

Reactions: hb12xchamps

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
That's true, and being born in 1996, I've experienced the two sides of it. I grew up with toys only until the age of 7-8, but then I had an iPod and a Playstation in middle school and high school. I obviously liked video games, but I would always prefer going outdoors to play hockey or soccer with my friends.

My younger brother and sister are infatuated with their iPad but my parents are strict in that regard and don't allow them to look at screens for more than 1 hour per day. The rest of the time, they play with their toys.
I'm a 1993 kid so I've grew up in both eras. All I did in elementary and middle school was go and hang out with the kids around the neighborhood after school. It was all about bike riding, playing two hand touch football, soccer, basketball and street hockey with the occasional PS2/Xbox session. Xbox 360 and Xbox Live become huge in about 7th or 8th grade and from there I spent more time online with my friends playing CoD and Halo and less time outside unless it was for my club soccer team or social activities (HS football games, dances, parties, going to the movies, etc.)

Now it's gotten to the point where my brother (He's 17) and his friends come home and immediately get on Xbox Live and play for 4-5 hours a night. Such a weird thing for me to see.

It's great that your parents have a set amount of time for your siblings. I think more parents should handle it that way but unfortunately they don't

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Any college students close to Richmond who want a hockey filming/video gig?

Random, sorry. Give me a shout.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Reed is my new Tiger.

The weathernecks are saying that we are going to get slammed with sleet Very powerful dynamic storm, but very unpredictable.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Hey congrats to all the caps posters here who participated in the 2017 Capitals HFBoards yahoo fantasy league that wrapped on Monday.

2018HFBoardsCaps.png
2018HFBoardsCapsfinal.png

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Wow this Conor McGregor saga is nuts. He and 30 thugs storm the arena and attack the bus full of UFC fighters. 3 fights on the Sat card cancelled because of it, 2 due to fighters injured in the attack, one for participating.

McGregor in jail, plane not allowed to leave.

Very candid Dana White interview says he’s going to get sued by a lot of people.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Wow this Conor McGregor saga is nuts. He and 30 thugs storm the arena and attack the bus full of UFC fighters. 3 fights on the Sat card cancelled because of it, 2 due to fighters injured in the attack, one for participating.

Very candid Dana White interview says he’s going to get sued by a lot of people.
Link please

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

I watched the whole thing and my initial reaction is that this was a publicity stunt by the UFC to get headlines for their fight during a weekend filled with a lot of other important sporting events.

Not so sure if that's the case now that Conor was officially arrested last night. I think Dana White was legit pissed about the entire situation and Conor's UFC career might be in jeopardy, which Conor might have wanted :dunno:

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
All, I'm consolidating some of our sticky threads. Closing this and the spoiler thread and creating a new all-OT megathread. Please read the first post of that thread before posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->