HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: 2024 Playoff Edition

Leto

Feb 16, 2023
Another thing that Michkovians don't seem to grasp.

Ok you're CSKA and you are, for a second consecutive year, lending Michkov out to play for ANOTHER team in the KHL.

Now you can say whatever you want about that, but he did produce in Sochi.. so why, when they have LEGAL control over Michkov for 2 more years, and what he did in Sochi, that they'd willingly let Michkov leave with 2 years left on his contract to go to NA?

Why is his franchise loaning him out 2 years in a row and with 2 years left, letting him go play elsewhere with no transfer agreement in place? It's Russian clubs, it's Russia.. there's really no reason for them to do unless there's something else at play there.

You mean SKA, not CSKA.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Is there even such a thing?

I think it’s more of a thirst for anything with a pulse offensively, something I figure you’d agree with; the need for a more firepower.
It's not, it's just easier to cope than admit that the tinfoil hat conspiracists were dead wrong about Michkov not coming over for a while. I don't even know how the argument of "look at how the KHL is treating him" is valid, they are well-known for making odd decisions and favoring the guys who want to stay there.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Off topic, but I keep giggling to myself about the Bruins fan on the main board that said “Swaymam is channeling his inner ‘93 Roy”.

Odd as I see the Bruins are no longer in the playoffs.

That line will probably be cracking me up all summer.
Why? He was great. Even Roy couldn't have got that pile of crap any farther.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Yeah but someone said he was mean once so he has character concerns on the level of Mitch Miller
I am curious where these "he's got bad character" comments come from. I think I recall him snapping at teammates expecting them to do more, but I don't see why that is considered attitude as opposed to compete (which many are claiming he doesn't have enough of). Mackinnon frequently snaps at his teammates to the point that he's even managing their diets, JT Miller is a well known psycho who was seen as a cancer for most of his career, hell even our own Slafkosvky snapped at his teammate at the World Championship expecting them to do better. Now, those three players are seen as being crazy competitive and they don't have attitude issues.

Of course, I don't know the whole story about Michkov's character but neither does anyone else here. Seems odd that the Bedards offered him to stay at their place any time he's in Vancouver if he's such a well known asshole in the hockey community.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Why? He was great. Even Roy couldn't have got that pile of crap any farther.
It’s funny because he compared him to an all timer Conn Smythe run, while it also hasn’t been that long since Boston watched a goalie of their own go on a crazy run that lead to a cup.

Do you remember 93 too? Or before your time? (I ask this respectfully :DD) Roy became a mind f*** to the opposition, Swayman, while playing great, was not doing that to anyone.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Yep and the contract thing on Michkov was just the PR way of going about leaking why they didn't go in that direction because they knew the noise around him in the fan base.

They're not going to be 'shitting bricks' about this news. They passed on Matvei Michkov the hockey player and how he fits into their build. They didn't pass on him because of the contract.

If you followed the discourse around the non selection after the draft, you can see the contract was never their issue, it was all about the player, the man and the fit.

They made their selection based on Reinbacher being the highest value to their team in the pursuit of the cup. If Michkov had 1 year or no years left on his KHL contract at the draft, people need to understand that they still weren't going to be picking him.

Gorton made sure they didn't want to revisit it but that room from the draft video was emphatic that Michkov wasn't the offensive talent at such a premium level they could ignore everything else. Why do people not understand when they talked about Reinbacher being a part of the culture they are building, that they were also letting people know that Michkov wouldn't be a culture fit.

It's funny that when discussing Michkov up to the draft and trying to tell people based on all the noise around the Habs organization to say they wouldn't pick him, those people who wanted Michkov desperately kept coping and saying it was a smokescreen and that if anyone knew the most about Michkov it'd be Bobrov because of his dad's affiliation with the organization. Yet, when the character concerns come up and the Habs allude to it, it's fabricated and character assassination.
Great post! It's mind boggling to me how so many random fans/posters think they ABSOLUTELY have the Michkov file all figured out when our top scout's father has intimate inside knowledge on both Michkov the player and the person (practice habits, training habits, coachability, relations with teammates/coaches/trainers, adaptability etc).

Reactions: dinodebino

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Of course, I don't know the whole story about Michkov's character but neither does anyone else here. Seems odd that the Bedards offered him to stay at their place any time he's in Vancouver if he's such a well known asshole in the hockey community.
BINGO!!! None of us in here know the whole story. Bobrov's dad worked in hockey ops on Michkov's parent team.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
BINGO!!! None of us in here know the whole story. Bobrov's dad worked in hockey ops on Michkov's parent team.
Where was Borbov's dad's insider information to let Hughes know that Michkov would be coming over asap and that his contract and the inability to control his development were not risk factors whatsoever when Hughes voiced this concern?

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Where was Borbov's dad's insider information to let Hughes know that Michkov would be coming over asap and that his contract and the inability to control his development were not risk factors whatsoever when Hughes voiced this concern?
That's one aspect of the Michkov file that has certainly worked out for Philly. Not all concerns in life materialize but from all indications, Habs still didn't value Michkov as highly as they did Reinbacher. We'll know in 5 years whether they were right or wrong.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
I am curious where these "he's got bad character" comments come from. I think I recall him snapping at teammates expecting them to do more, but I don't see why that is considered attitude as opposed to compete (which many are claiming he doesn't have enough of). Mackinnon frequently snaps at his teammates to the point that he's even managing their diets, JT Miller is a well known psycho who was seen as a cancer for most of his career, hell even our own Slafkosvky snapped at his teammate at the World Championship expecting them to do better. Now, those three players are seen as being crazy competitive and they don't have attitude issues.

It came from media mouthpieces and was pushed by certain people on this board when it became clear we weren't drafting him. Mostly because it was clear no one who wanted to draft him cared that it would "take a few years" for him to come over (lol), so they had to push a different angle.

Now that he's been amazing in the KHL, is coming over, and Reinbacher had a thoroughly underwhelming season (I still hope he's a top pairing D obviously but even the Seabrook comparisons seem lofty at this point), people are doubling down on the "character concerns" even though every elite competitive player ever has had the same things said about them.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Let it go Arpon Basu made it clear the Habs did not like Michkov’s game - “lack of completeness

It wasn’t contract, it was Michkov not being the right fit for this team + system

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I am curious where these "he's got bad character" comments come from.
A Russian scout working for the Capitals came out publicly on a Russian podcast/radio show to speak against Michkov like a month before the draft and that interview was translated and made the round. That's what sparked the Michkov's defenders to cry "character assassination". But there was also some media coverage in Russia sport outlets speaking against Michkov before that.

So the same deal we have with Kapanen. Does he have character concerns?
Not the same deal, Kapanen's contract is tied to the transfer agreement between the SHL and the NHL. The KHL has no such agreement. I'm not even sure if what the Flyers and SKA wants to do will pass the IIHF's rulebooks.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Is there even such a thing?

I think it’s more of a thirst for anything with a pulse offensively, something I figure you’d agree with; the need for a more firepower.
Sadly, lines in the sand have been drawn — it’s the Mitchkovians vs. the Reinbickerers. One of these will fight you to the death. :sarcasm:

Yeah but someone said he was mean once so he has character concerns on the level of Mitch Miller
Flinging cowboy boots at a store clerk should warrant a lifetime ban from the NHL. :sarcasm:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Hughes said the org wanted control over a drafted players development, Michkov’s contract give its in Russia with limitations to viewing him restricted it
Bobrov had direct intel from his father who is linked to the team. I wonder what the actionable info may have been and whether it was warranted.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Be good to see new team win cup though. If Montreal can't win it. Dallas last team to win it and that was 25 years ago. Vancouver, Florida have never won a cup. Oilers 34 years ago. Rangers 30

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad