TV: General Anime Discussion (Part 3)

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
No more Frieren Fridays.

Such a great anime. Probably in my top 5 maybe top 3 all time. Absolutely loved it from beginning to end. Can't wait for more

I finally made it to TYBW and I am not sure what to make of it so far. It is what I sort of expected from a manga artist whose own creation was in decline from the past arc while he looked towards cocaine as an inspirational jolt to reclaim the fame as it did during the Soul Society arc. Pure craziness so far; people dying, blokes decapitated, limbs being blown off, and blood that would make Gantz (manga, not the anime) seem like a preschoolers comic book...all within 4 to 5 episodes lol.

I do have a problem with these types of reboots, stuff is happening way too fast. Trigun: Stampede I thought suffered from going way too fast for its own good and so far Bleach is suffering from the same issues. Like seriously, the first episode was them defeating Hollows and boom a random bloke was in Ichigo's bedroom wanting to erase his existence. This stuff works in manga because you as the reader can fill in the scenes from each shot to shot for the most part, but anime is not like that. You need some slow time to build things up, the world, the characters, the setting, and the storyline.
The world characters and setting are already built though.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
frieren-friday-frieren.gif

hoyster

Dec 1, 2011
Helsinki
Recency bias: It's the best anime of all-time for me
No bias: It's definitely in my top 3 with AoT and 86.

I'll do a longer review maybe on Sunday after most of the winter 2024 animes (+Frieren and Maomao) are over.

Reactions: oil Leaks

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Okay, TYBW is effing crazy. I can't believe this Bleach and the past Bleach are the same anime.

The world characters and setting are already built though.
Not the bad guys, you are just thrown into a crazy war with little to no backstory. I legitimately have no idea who most of these blokes are, except for the fact that they are Quinceys.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Okay, TYBW is effing crazy. I can't believe this Bleach and the past Bleach are the same anime.

Not the bad guys, you are just thrown into a crazy war with little to no backstory. I legitimately have no idea who most of these blokes are, except for the fact that they are Quinceys.
When the Visored's show up in the og we don't know who they are either, and have no background on them too. Their story is expanded on as the show unfolds

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
A lot of announcements coming out of AnimeJapan this weekend and there's a Frieren block in about an hour, so potentially some season 2 news already. Apothecary season 2 announced there earlier.

hoyster

Dec 1, 2011
Helsinki
There was no Frieren announcement :(
Well there's definitely going to be a next season and I'm sure they have started the process already. I don't mind waiting a little extra if we get another long season with this quality.

Apothecary Diaries s2 for 2025 and ONK season 2 already for summer 2024 :eek3:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Been looking into Frieren's production a bit now that it's over and I guess it was actually pretty similar to the first season of OPM. Seems a lot of animators wanted to work on it. Hopefully unlike OPM Madhouse gets to keep it.

hoyster

Dec 1, 2011
Helsinki
Winter 2024 season is ending so I'll give my reviews of few shows that I watched (and few shows that continued form Fall 2023). And yes I know some of these shows have still one episode to go, but don't expect them to effect the scores.

Frieren 10+/10
This is definitely in my top 3 shows of all-time and it has a good argument for #1. I don't find any single aspect of this show that doesn't get a 10/10 rating from me. Animation, characters, OST, directing, VAs, funny scenes, emotional scenes, hype battle schenes...list goes on. I don't think anything else needs to be said, this was perfection.

Apothecary Diaries 10/10
Frieren was one of the best MCs of all-time for me, but she still might be only the second best of the season. I could also say that this show hits 10/10 in every category and it would be too far from the truth. I'm still going to rate this a notch below Frieren, but this still was a masterpiece of a season that kept unfolding so satisfyingly. Aoi Yuuki's VA performance as Maomao is the best since Chika Anzai as Chisato Nishikigi (Lycoris Recoil) and she deserves all the awards for this. Season 2 was already announced and I can't wait for it.

Dangers in my Heart - Season 2 9/10
Well, the show got better from season 1 just like the manga readers promised. It's still slowburn, but that is understandable with the characters being so young still. Usually these type of shows are set in high school, but I like how they show our characters going through puberty and their early teenage way of thinking. Our cast of characters is amazing and every new side character they introduce is just as good as the rest of them. This show is just pure sugar of how cute and wholesome it is. I had some issues with the first season, but they were toned down in the second season or they were just drowned in the wholesomeness.

A Sign of Affection 8/10
Started off as a cute love story, but I was a little sus about our main guy here. Fortunately his character got better as the season went along and it also ended up as a cute love story. I have to say though that I was more invested in the side characters and their romance. A really satisfying end to the season though and basically every character was left in a good place for me. I'm guessing there's more to the story, but I felt like this could be one and done as well.

Solo Levelling 6,5/10
So this was overhyped for sure...I didn't hate it, but I didn't care for it. I don't understand how people kept hyping this up episode after episode when it kept falling flat everytime. I don't care much for JJK outside of the good cast of characters and I felt like this had similar energy, but it was missing the good characters. The MC is kinda ok cool, but I hardly even remember his name, let alone the other characters. I have no idea what the point of the story is or where are we trying to go with it? The fight scenes were ok, animation was good and Sawano dis some cooking with the OST. That's pretty much it.

Now it's on to the spring 2024. Last spring was the goated anime season with like 10 great animes. Doesn't seem like we'll get that again as there's a lot of new season for shows that I don't care about or haven't watched. But love me some KonoSuba and a new season of Demon Slayer should be ok and there's still a few new animes that I'm gonna see what is up (like Spice and Wolf)

Reactions: oil Leaks

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
Solo Levelling is stupid fun, I've been enjoying it.

For spring, I'm looking forward to Spice and Wolf, Sound! Euphonium 3, KonoSuba 3, and Jobless Reincarnation. I still need to finish Jobless Reincarnation season 2, it got boring for me.

I should get back to MHA, but seasons 4 and 5 kinda left a sour taste in my mouth,

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Solo Leveling's weird. The original manhwa wasn't exactly flattering to Japan so they had to change a bunch of stuff. It's a borderline 90s 4Kids adaptation.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Land of the Lustrous manga is also ending. Maybe they'll finally animate the rest now......

hoyster

Dec 1, 2011
Helsinki
Dangers in my Heart had a great finale. And the manga is still on-going, but it may take a while until we get more anime.

Solo Levelling finale was more of the same mid levelling. People been saying after like episode 5 that the real show starts now, and they're still saying the same thing. Apparently it continues already October this year. Might continue it but definitely keeping my expectations low.

KonoSuba had the first ep leaked and it was still as hilarious as ever. Also started Re:Zero even though I don't care about isekais at all. After 6 director's cut episodes, there story is not that interesting and I don't like the time loop thing, but most of the characters are great so far.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Anime Expo this Summer in Los Angeles; going as either Anko Mitarashi (Naruto) or Yoko (Gurren Lagann)

Leaning towards Yoko but I'm open to idea's and suggestions!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad