TV: General Anime Discussion (Part 3)

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yeah it's annoying when people recommend shows with million episodes. After the One Piece live action you saw tons of people saying that everyone should watch the anime, it's so good. Like who the hell has time for that...My first and one of the favorite animes is Dragonball / DBZ, but I would never recommend anyone to watch it. It's not even really that good :D, but it has nostalgic value. I've started both GT and Super, but I could never get through more than few dozen episodes.

So no, I will never watch OP, Naruto, Bleach etc :D
I don't blame you, however, I do think Naruto and Bleach are worth one run (with no fillers of course) in your lifetime though. I am worn out because I have watched all the movies and fillers at this stage. At minimum, you should at least give Shippuuden one run because Akatsuki is better than The Phantom Troupe in terms of villain organisations and I think Phantom is top 3 in any anime I've seen.

I love me Dragonball, it was so well done with realistic power levels, awesome unique bad guys, many hilarious scenes, and just overall fun of the show. It's funny because I started with DBZ in my youth and I thought that show was lit and then sometime in my past I rewatched DB after DBZ was over and it is just so freakin' superior to DBZ. Way more realistic over before you get into the power levels and the same alien bad guys rehashed over and over again.

My favourite arc of any series is The Great Saiyman in DBZ because it is unique and shows a lot of downtime/character development before going to Majin Buu (which was meh). Still, the entire show suffers a lot from the anime catching to the manga with zero filler creation, so you have a lot of staring at each other for like 8 episodes. I won't forget the Cell vs Vegeta fight for that exact problem. I sadly watched and collected most of GT before knowing that the show was actually awful.

hoyster

Dec 1, 2011
Helsinki
I don't blame you, however, I do think Naruto and Bleach are worth one run (with no fillers of course) in your lifetime though. I am worn out because I have watched all the movies and fillers at this stage. At minimum, you should at least give Shippuuden one run because Akatsuki is better than The Phantom Troupe in terms of villain organisations and I think Phantom is top 3 in any anime I've seen.

I love me Dragonball, it was so well done with realistic power levels, awesome unique bad guys, many hilarious scenes, and just overall fun of the show. It's funny because I started with DBZ in my youth and I thought that show was lit and then sometime in my past I rewatched DB after DBZ was over and it is just so freakin' superior to DBZ. Way more realistic over before you get into the power levels and the same alien bad guys rehashed over and over again.

My favourite arc of any series is The Great Saiyman in DBZ because it is unique and shows a lot of downtime/character development before going to Majin Buu (which was meh). Still, the entire show suffers a lot from the anime catching to the manga with zero filler creation, so you have a lot of staring at each other for like 8 episodes. I won't forget the Cell vs Vegeta fight for that exact problem. I sadly watched and collected most of GT before knowing that the show was actually awful.
It's hard for me to binge shows nowadays, I just don't have energy for it. Shippuuden seems to have 500 episodes, so I don't even want to get into that. I have no idea what kind of anime Naruto actually is, but in case of Dragonball (especially DBZ), I don't like animes that have fights lasting more than an episode or two. DBZ with like 20 episode long fights, you just know it's going to 90% of nothing. The power levels were easy to get, but still after 10 episodes we are finally transforming or taking the training wheels off..it just feels pointless, like I just wasted 10 episodes for nothing.

More recent shows like Demon Slayer really suffer for a similar issue. Season 1 was really good IMO, because we learn about the world and we see these mini arcs and our MCs leveling up and then we hit the epic Hinokami Kagura. Mugen Train was amazing, again because it's a mini arc/movie. By season 3, the animation no longer wowed me and I started seeing the flaws more, and you just kinda waited 10 episodes for the conclusion. Maybe that's also why I didn't like JJK Shibuya Arc and it didn't even have the great animation to go with it.

Saiyaman Arc was probably my favorite as well :D I liked Gohan more than Goku. Also in JJK my favorite episodes so far have been season 1 Kyoto Sister School Exchange Event.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Naruto is great. And I never thought I would like it. But you can't watch any filler although a few very small parts of filler in Naruto are actually interesting but unneeded. Same with bleach. The filler is just atrocious. Around 200 of those 500 episodes of Naruto are filler and can be skipped. Making it more reasonable length wise. While still a lot it's no where close to One Piece length

hoyster

Dec 1, 2011
Helsinki
Naruto is great. And I never thought I would like it. But you can't watch any filler although a few very small parts of filler in Naruto are actually interesting but unneeded. Same with bleach. The filler is just atrocious. Around 200 of those 500 episodes of Naruto are filler and can be skipped. Making it more reasonable length wise. While still a lot it's no where close to One Piece length
Yeah and this is my problem. It sounds exactly like Dragonball. I love Dragonball, but I would never introduce Dragonball to a new anime viewer. You can hype up any 200+ episode anime to me, but I'll never watch it because I know there's a lot of filler, as much I'd love the hype moments. I'm just not going to watch the big 3.

The only show around/above the 100 episode mark I've enjoyed is AoT, which in my opinion doesn't really have any filler. I tried My Hero Academia but I quit after 5-6 episodes as I did not get anything out of it. My next big one would be Hunter x Hunter, but I just feel like I wouldn't enjoy that either. You guys have any other shows that you'd compare HxH to? Or should I just try few episodes to see how I feel?

hoyster

Dec 1, 2011
Helsinki
I want to keep this separate, so I'll make a new post:

How do you guys feel about Solo Leveling?
To me it has been very mid so far. A1 has been awesome (please continue 86 and Lycoris Recoil!!!) and Hiroyuki Sawano has been awesome as usual (especially the newest episode), but otherwise the story and the progression has been very meh.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Yeah and this is my problem. It sounds exactly like Dragonball. I love Dragonball, but I would never introduce Dragonball to a new anime viewer. You can hype up any 200+ episode anime to me, but I'll never watch it because I know there's a lot of filler, as much I'd love the hype moments. I'm just not going to watch the big 3.

The only show around/above the 100 episode mark I've enjoyed is AoT, which in my opinion doesn't really have any filler. I tried My Hero Academia but I quit after 5-6 episodes as I did not get anything out of it. My next big one would be Hunter x Hunter, but I just feel like I wouldn't enjoy that either. You guys have any other shows that you'd compare HxH to? Or should I just try few episodes to see how I feel?
Yea it's not Dragonball at all tbh. Dragonball has no real overarching plot, or a very weak one at the very best. It just has bad guy shows up, good guy beats bad guy after almost losing and getting a new power up. Naruto has a consistent plotline throughout. There is tons of filler, that you should skip. And towards the end of the series, there are a lot of flashbacks that take up a lot of time, that are not needed as often as they are presented.

I find it odd that you are focused on Hunter x Hunter which has a similar long form plot but never actually finishes because of the writers health. It's a good show too, but if I'm picking between Naruto and Hunter x Hunter to watch I'm picking the one that at least has an ending. It seems like you just don't like the idea of long form television which is fine, there are a ton of anime out there that are short form story telling that are great.

Cowboy Bebop
Violet Evergarden
Black Lagoon
Death Note
Steins Gate
Code Geass

Are all relatively short and great stories.

If you are looking for something slightly longer that is absolutely great, go with Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood if you have not seen it. Its like 60 some episodes and they are all fantastic.

hoyster

Dec 1, 2011
Helsinki
Yea it's not Dragonball at all tbh. Dragonball has no real overarching plot, or a very weak one at the very best. It just has bad guy shows up, good guy beats bad guy after almost losing and getting a new power up. Naruto has a consistent plotline throughout. There is tons of filler, that you should skip. And towards the end of the series, there are a lot of flashbacks that take up a lot of time, that are not needed as often as they are presented.

I find it odd that you are focused on Hunter x Hunter which has a similar long form plot but never actually finishes because of the writers health. It's a good show too, but if I'm picking between Naruto and Hunter x Hunter to watch I'm picking the one that at least has an ending. It seems like you just don't like the idea of long form television which is fine, there are a ton of anime out there that are short form story telling that are great.

Cowboy Bebop
Violet Evergarden
Black Lagoon
Death Note
Steins Gate
Code Geass

Are all relatively short and great stories.

If you are looking for something slightly longer that is absolutely great, go with Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood if you have not seen it. Its like 60 some episodes and they are all fantastic.
I know absolutely nothing about Hunter x Hunter. I'm just intrigued as I see it everywhere. By your description, it doesn't sound like I'd be interested. And you're right I don't like long form animes because of the quantity of filler. Dragonball is just a rare one that I saw when I was younger.

Of the things you listed, Violet Evergarden is one of my favorites (the last movie excluded), FMAB is a definitely up there as one of the greatest animes. I've also seen 26ish episode of Death Note (up until you know what) and I had to stop there as it was one of the dumbest animes I've seen.
Interested in Steins Gate and Code Geass, don't know anything about Black Lagoon, might give Cowboy Bebop a chance.

Reactions: Felidae

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
I know absolutely nothing about Hunter x Hunter. I'm just intrigued as I see it everywhere. By your description, it doesn't sound like I'd be interested. And you're right I don't like long form animes because of the quantity of filler. Dragonball is just a rare one that I saw when I was younger.

Of the things you listed, Violet Evergarden is one of my favorites (the last movie excluded), FMAB is a definitely up there as one of the greatest animes. I've also seen 26ish episode of Death Note (up until you know what) and I had to stop there as it was one of the dumbest animes I've seen.
Interested in Steins Gate and Code Geass, don't know anything about Black Lagoon, might give Cowboy Bebop a chance.
Well hunter hunter at least doesn't have filler at all. So that is a difference I suppose. But neither do the other shows if you just look up what episodes to skip lol. Agreed on Death note.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
The problem is not the filler in between, that you can even skip most of the time with a good episode guide but the eventual decline of those shows. Bleach is basically only good for around 60 Naruto for about 130 and OP for about 350 episodes. When they are good they are fairly consistently good but as soon as they are not anymore, its just a waste of time.

Hunter X Hunter doesn't have much filler either. It needs a few episodes to get good but as soon as it gets going its pretty consistent. Like the poster ahead of me, I would still rather recommend Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood to you. Its pretty focused on its overarching storyline with next to no deviation from it. Its also a bit more mature regarding its themes than most of those shonen series (which goes for HXH as well).

Last edited:

hoyster

Dec 1, 2011
Helsinki
The problem is not the filler in between, that you can even skip most of the time with a good episode guide but the eventual decline of those shows. Bleach is basically only good for around 60 Naruto for about 130 and OP for about 350 episodes. When they are good they are fairly consistently good but as soon as they are not anymore, its just a waste of time.

Hunter X Hunter doesn't have much filler either. It needs a few episodes to get good but as soon as it gets going its pretty consistent. Like the poster ahead of me, I would still rather recommend Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood to you. Its pretty focused on its overarching storyline with next to no deviation from it. Its also a bit more mature regarding its themes than most of those shonen series (which goes for HXH as well).
Thanks for the info. Like I've said I won't get into the big 3 and what you said only confirms it.

I have seen FMAB and it is one of the greatest animes of all-time for sure. That's why shows like HxH are next on my list to check out, but I might just stick to new shows and shorter shows. We'll see...

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Thanks for the info. Like I've said I won't get into the big 3 and what you said only confirms it.

I have seen FMAB and it is one of the greatest animes of all-time for sure. That's why shows like HxH are next on my list to check out, but I might just stick to new shows and shorter shows. We'll see...

Yeah I get that. If you are not willing to give HxH the benefit of the doubt for early episodes you might drop it before the best parts start. Another longer anime you might want check out is legend of the galactic heros. Its a fairly complex space opera with a lot of political intrigue to go with the action. Pretty fast paced as well. Its a bit on the older side though which might turn of some people.

hoyster

Dec 1, 2011
Helsinki
Yeah I get that. If you are not willing to give HxH the benefit of the doubt for early episodes you might drop it before the best parts start. Another longer anime you might want check out is legend of the galactic heros. Its a fairly complex space opera with a lot of political intrigue to go with the action. Pretty fast paced as well. Its a bit on the older side though which might turn of some people.
I'll add it to the list.

Yeah I usually don't have a lot of patience with animes (or shows in general) so I usually give them like 4-5 episodes to get me hooked. Especially with longer shows.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Most fillers are bad and worth saving time on (I tend to like the one-off filler episodes like going to the beach or sports day festival cliche besides any arcs). However, Bleach had some great filler arcs, the Bount was good and was interesting for the story's universe, but the new captain arc was freakin' awesome and one of the best I've watched.

This is my opinion, but HxH is like modern-day Dragonball in terms of very similar characters and bad guys, but the world is unbelievable. HxH is probably the single best setting/universe I've ever seen in any entertainment. HxH has many arcs and each arc introduces something completely new to the world, which makes you want to watch more.

HxH indeed has multiple long fighting sequences, but the fighting is very well done and it isn't the same problem that you find in DBZ with the threat of potential fillers. Honest, you should watch HxH to the point of the Chimaera Ant arc, which is probably the highest point of the DBZ-ism between the relationship of the two.

There are a lot of sites out there that number which episodes are fillers and thus ones you can skip.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011

JC Staff is again doing season 3. The teaser looked pretty good, but my expectations are low for this one.

Reactions: S E P H

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
A big thing for OPM season 1 was it was a series everybody wanted to work on and a director everybody wanted to work for. A lot of animators--freelance and from other studios--made large efforts to make time in their schedules for it.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I finally made it to TYBW and I am not sure what to make of it so far. It is what I sort of expected from a manga artist whose own creation was in decline from the past arc while he looked towards cocaine as an inspirational jolt to reclaim the fame as it did during the Soul Society arc. Pure craziness so far; people dying, blokes decapitated, limbs being blown off, and blood that would make Gantz (manga, not the anime) seem like a preschoolers comic book...all within 4 to 5 episodes lol.

I do have a problem with these types of reboots, stuff is happening way too fast. Trigun: Stampede I thought suffered from going way too fast for its own good and so far Bleach is suffering from the same issues. Like seriously, the first episode was them defeating Hollows and boom a random bloke was in Ichigo's bedroom wanting to erase his existence. This stuff works in manga because you as the reader can fill in the scenes from each shot to shot for the most part, but anime is not like that. You need some slow time to build things up, the world, the characters, the setting, and the storyline.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad