TV: General Anime Discussion (Part 3)

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
I've been back on an anime kick here lately and have been quite enjoying what I have watched so far (sweetness & lightning, Overlord, Death Parade)

Some of the Summer anime shows are starting to air now
Watched Keppeki Danshi! Aoyama-kun yesterday and it was a solid 1st episode
I'll probably be checking out Restaurant to Another World later today.

There's actually quite a bit that I want to check out this season.

May 27, 2012
Earth
I watched the first episode.

I really liked [spoil] Sabre of Red, or rather Mordred, son of Sabre. [/spoil]

Can't wait until the rest of episodes start rolling out.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Would have taken a few seconds to look.

The exact opposite.

Never could get into One Piece when I tried all those years ago, but I did look at that specific chapter... and what the **** is going on? :laugh:

Apart from the last few pages that are a death send off it's utterly impossible to make any sense of what exactly happened there. I know that's no really fair to judge by jumping into a random chapter, but still.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Never could get into One Piece when I tried all those years ago, but I did look at that specific chapter... and what the **** is going on? :laugh:

Apart from the last few pages that are a death send off it's utterly impossible to make any sense of what exactly happened there. I know that's no really fair to judge by jumping into a random chapter, but still.

Yeah, you jumped into what is essentially the end of a war between every faction in One Piece, including about 100+ newly introduced characters.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Feb 5, 2006
Calgary

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
One piece is good at creating epic moments, but it drags on and Luffy is getting less and less interesting as a protagonist. If you can make it through dressrosa without wanting to blow your brains out, then one piece is definitely your cup of tea.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
For any Crunchyroll people, they recently added Scrapped Princess. Was like the 3rd(?) series that BONES ever did. I can say that I remember liking it a lot when it aired, at least...

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
For DBZ/DB Kai villians (rank):

Frieza
Cell
Vegeta
Androids
Buu
Raditz

Those are the major ones.

I don't really count Vegeta as a villain since he became mostly good, but he's by far the most complex character in the DB universe. Gohan is almost as interesting as Vegeta in terms of complexity.

The androids and Buu are one-dimensional villains.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I don't really count Vegeta as a villain since he became mostly good, but he's by far the most complex character in the DB universe. Gohan is almost as interesting as Vegeta in terms of complexity.

The androids and Buu are one-dimensional villains.

I think Buu is at least interesting because of the separation of the evil and good. In the end, it gave Uub (who went no where basically) and Buu (who is kind of adorable).

But yeah Vegeta is by far the most complex and built character in the series. Gohan going through his hardships and transformations are always good.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I think Buu is at least interesting because of the separation of the evil and good. In the end, it gave Uub (who went no where basically) and Buu (who is kind of adorable).

But yeah Vegeta is by far the most complex and built character in the series. Gohan going through his hardships and transformations are always good.

I wish they brought Future Trunks to the tournament instead of Tien.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I re-watched and recently finished Trigun for the first time in about five to six years or so. Still til this day, my favourite anime series of all time.

My favourite bit of Dragonball Z had to be segments of highschool Gohan and how that leads into the Buu saga. So I do have a soft spot for that entire arc, but I'll also be honest, Akira Toriyama already ran out of ideas long before this. I can't really blame Buu for being so lackluster, but I do like how Hercules, a piece of trash fighter convinced one of the most powerful villains to turning good. I suggest that Cell is the best villain, I enjoyed the concept of him wanting to fight against the Earth's strongest instead of wiping out majority of the galaxy like we've seen in every Sci-Fi story. Not only that, but the Frieza saga and the amount fillers combined to be at least 10 episodes too long, which killed my overall joy for the arc. I liked the android saga as well, Android 18 is awesome and flows nicely into the cell saga.

I also disliked Toriyama and how he pretty much killed every major Dragonball character in "Z". I like the concept of Piccolo being the strongest of the non-main Dragonball characters and it's cool that someone like Yamcha retires once you face the insanely strong villains in "Z". BUT Tien, Krillin, Bulma, King Kai, Chaozu, Puar, Chi-Chi, Yajirobe, and Oolong are all major duds even if half of them are not even fighters. He could have done a better job implementing them into "Z" instead of having random filler appearances every twenty episodes or so.

That's not even the worst for me, I think the utilization of Pikkon was just awful. He was such an interesting character, who was quite strong, and could give Goku a run for his money. Well, he's in this one random arc about a tournament for dead people and he pretty much is forgotten after that. It would have been awesome if Supreme Kai brought him back to help save the universe against Kid/Super Buu, would have made it much more interesting. Maybe he did and I am an idiot for forgetting this, but it's been an extremely long time since I watched DBZ.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad