GDT: World Junior Championships 2013 - Discussion III

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Returnees? Not one eligible player from this year should return. Send a group of the best 17 and 18 years old and let them prepare to win when they are 18 and 19 years old. Try something different.

We now suck at hockey at the WJHC! U.S.A. wins gold. Sweden last year and Russia the year before. Come on!

Maybe Hockey Canada HAS been told that we can't win it all the time any more. That may explain the poor coaching and player selections!!! I'm serious now.

:rant:

MacKinnon and Drouin should be back in top six roles.

Need to get back to basics with Team Canada.

Checking lines...for example.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I think this myth needs to be busted already. There are many guys among the top D-men who MoRiles already outweighs and he has been labelled as someone dedicated to health and fitness. Lidstrom is something like 15 pounds lighter than Morgan and I think he did fine for himself.

If he's not NHL ready, it's because his skills aren't NHL level, not because he's not physically ready.

Won't be busted until he tries out for camp and gets some pre-season games in. It's an opinion.

All I know was that he was physically outmatched in the World Juniors on the boards and was goofing up in his end.

Doesn't get any easier at the NHL...

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If Leafs can work out a trade for Grimaldi and Troechek we would have a hell of a line in a year or 2. I wanted Grimaldi in the 11 draft, I thought he was a player, disappointed me at first, but as I thought he had something in him that made me rate him very high in 11. The Percy pick will forever be debated as what if with others stepping up this tourney.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Won't be busted until he tries out for camp and gets some pre-season games in. It's an opinion.

All I know was that he was physically outmatched in the World Juniors on the boards and was goofing up in his end.

Doesn't get any easier at the NHL...

Yes it won't be proven or busted until he tries out for camp. So who can you say he's not physically ready, so definitively?

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Yes it won't be proven or busted until he tries out for camp. So who can you say he's not physically ready, so definitively?

Based on what I've been watching from him up until this point.

I'm just extrapolating the information.

Also with the way the Leafs defence is as of now with offensive defencemen aplenty (Phaneuf, Liles, Gardiner) I don't see what role Rielly would have for a team that wants to make the playoffs now.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Based on what I've been watching from him up until this point.

I'm just extrapolating the information.

Also with the way the Leafs defence is as of now with offensive defencemen aplenty (Phaneuf, Liles, Gardiner) I don't see what role Rielly would have for a team that wants to make the playoffs now.

The composition of a defense can be changed rather quickly. If Rielly turns out to be 'the real deal', Burke (or whoever is the GM in the future) will be able to adjust to suit the needs of a premier D-man.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
The composition of a defense can be changed rather quickly. If Rielly turns out to be 'the real deal', Burke (or whoever is the GM in the future) will be able to adjust to suit the needs of a premier D-man.

It's presumptuous at this point to think that, in my opinion.

He's got wicked skills when the puck is on his stick. Problem is that other teams get the puck too and that's where I think Rielly needs to be more developed and experienced...even at the junior level.

Let him truly dominate and get an expanded role with Team Canada next year.

JMcLeaf

I'm curious to which NHL team had the most medals.

Calgary had 3 on US.
Tampa had 3 on Russia.
Leafs had Biggs, Nilsson, Sparks

Who signed Makarov?

Buffalo signed him.

I watched the Canada game then planned to sleep for a couple hours before watching the end of the USA Sweden game, but I just woke up 10 min ago :rant:. Guess i'll have to catch the replay even though it's never as interesting when you know the final score.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It's presumptuous at this point to think that, in my opinion.

He's got wicked skills when the puck is on his stick. Problem is that other teams get the puck too and that's where I think Rielly needs to be more developed and experienced...even at the junior level.

Let him truly dominate and get an expanded role with Team Canada next year.

There was a lot of expectations for Rielly to be a difference maker in this tournament.

He wasn't one of Canada's better defensemen by any stretch of the imagination. Whether it was the lack of ice time, or because he tightened up, it was an underwhelming display.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
There was a lot of expectations for Rielly to be a difference maker in this tournament.

He wasn't one of Canada's better defensemen by any stretch of the imagination. Whether it was the lack of ice time, or because he tightened up, it was an underwhelming display.

Aside from the powerplay points he managed to get, I wasn't impressed.

Certainly not a typical Bobby Orr / Brian Leetch performance.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
I remember that Kadri was on the ice during the OT loss in 2010, and now Rielly in 2013. Canada should avoid giving icetime to Leaf prospects in OT during knockout games.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
If Leafs can work out a trade for Grimaldi and Troechek we would have a hell of a line in a year or 2. I wanted Grimaldi in the 11 draft, I thought he was a player, disappointed me at first, but as I thought he had something in him that made me rate him very high in 11. The Percy pick will forever be debated as what if with others stepping up this tourney.

Why would we trade for a kid who makes a fool of himself, spouting religious fundamentalist garbage on twitter, who also happens to be 5'9 on a pair of stilts?

This team needs size. There's a reason why Burke passed on a skilled American prospect, having every opportunity to pick him (size and durability).

Troechek is a good one, but I don't think he'll be any more spectacular in the league than a Kulemin, probably less.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

Honestly...I don't know who played good defense for Team Canada at all...besides Scott Harrington, I can't say that any of the D were as good as they were supposed to be.

Rielly is 18..but guys like Ryan Murphy and Dougie Hamilton should be a lot better than they showed. They got the ice time and the top lines to play with and yet could not produce at either ends of the ice.

Canada's WJC team has the same problems the Leafs have.

A huge question mark at goaltending and defensive breakdowns.

Sometimes it's not too good to have a lot of talent on a team IMO.

For a second, let's imagine that Trouba was a Canadian player. Do you think he'd have the same impact that he had for Team USA? I don't think so. He'd be put behind Dougie Hamilton, Ryan Murphy, and the other older guys and get limited ice time.

We need players to be judged by their talents and merit...not just handing out ice time to the older guys.

I'd say Trouba was the best defenseman in this WJC and he's a much better two way defenseman than Dougie Hamilton. People are comparing Dougie to Pietrangelo...at his point the Bruins should be happy if he's half as good as A Pie.

I hope Trouba doesn't make us regret..I think he's going to be a good one for the Jets, at least better than Bogosian.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
If you watched any of the USA games since the CAN and RUS losses, the reduction of Gally's ice time and the increase of Troechek's coincided with the USA going undefeated the rest of the tournament. Even USA fans have said Gally has all but been invisible.

Thats the beauty of actually watching the game, then reading box scores to see who scores the 9th goal in blowouts.

You won't get ME on analyzing without watching ;) I watched EVERY US game on the NHL network, as I have American dish, and not Canadian TV.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You won't get ME on analyzing without watching ;) I watched EVERY US game on the NHL network, as I have American dish, and not Canadian TV.

Then you would agree that Gally, not that this is a Gally thread had minimal impact after the the CAN and RUS losses when Housley went more Troechek and less Gally. That was the turning point of the USA team, they were a much better team with balance once the grind line were playing more important mins, and it certainly showed today. Proof is in the pudding stats and watching the game wise.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Meh, Canada still produces great individual talent, but the junior teams have been severely hurting lately with a lot of weak characters unable to step it up. Also, it probably doesn't help to have an android like Steve Spott coaching the team. His range of emotion seemed to be comatose-confused.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Honestly...I don't know who played good defense for Team Canada at all...besides Scott Harrington, I can't say that any of the D were as good as they were supposed to be.

Rielly is 18..but guys like Ryan Murphy and Dougie Hamilton should be a lot better than they showed. They got the ice time and the top lines to play with and yet could not produce at either ends of the ice.

Canada's WJC team has the same problems the Leafs have.

A huge question mark at goaltending and defensive breakdowns.

Sometimes it's not too good to have a lot of talent on a team IMO.

For a second, let's imagine that Trouba was a Canadian player. Do you think he'd have the same impact that he had for Team USA? I don't think so. He'd be put behind Dougie Hamilton, Ryan Murphy, and the other older guys and get limited ice time.

We need players to be judged by their talents and merit...not just handing out ice time to the older guys.

I'd say Trouba was the best defenseman in this WJC and he's a much better two way defenseman than Dougie Hamilton. People are comparing Dougie to Pietrangelo...at his point the Bruins should be happy if he's half as good as A Pie.

I hope Trouba doesn't make us regret..I think he's going to be a good one for the Jets, at least better than Bogosian.

Harrington and Hamilton seriously both overrated.

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
I think this myth needs to be busted already. There are many guys among the top D-men who MoRiles already outweighs and he has been labelled as someone dedicated to health and fitness. Lidstrom is something like 15 pounds lighter than Morgan and I think he did fine for himself.

If he's not NHL ready, it's because his skills aren't NHL level, not because he's not physically ready.

Agreed.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Canada needs to take the best players available, not the best 4th liners and 3rd liners but the 12 best forwards.

Guys like Jenner for the PK and stuff I understand, but guys who only play a physical dump and chase game don't really help score goals.

Guys like Monahan/Shinkaruk should've made the team, outside of the Nuge's line and the 2nd line a little bit no one else was scoring for Canada.

As I've said before, Canada's mistake was doing exactly what you are suggesting. Camara and Jenner were the only real "grinder" types, and they were better offensively than the non-grinder types available. Jenner was leading the OHL in goals, and Camara is still leading the OHL's 2nd best offense in goals... while having better goals per game than league-leading Seth Griffith.

As for Monahan, who is he better than offensively? While I did want him to make this this team, it was because of his ability to play that bottom-6 role.

This team's biggest flaw was not that they lacked offensive skill. The biggest flaw was they they lacked roleplayers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad