GDT: World Junior Championships 2013 - Discussion III

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
I know we're all upset, but does anyone have a (free) stream for the TSN feed?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Spott deserves a large part of the blame for this. This team had the talent to win easily. They were unmotivated for large stretches throughout the tourney, and certain players received far more ice time then they should have.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Hockey Canada is becoming a "country club. Hire Burke over there.

Wonder how much Cherry would complain if an American was in charge of our national team :laugh:

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Hockey Canada is becoming a "country club. Hire Burke over there.

Wonder how much Cherry would complain if an American was in charge of our national team :laugh:
Wasn't his wife and kids born in America?Besides,he's Canadian and coached an American team.A job is a job imo

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
This list is ridiculous... imagine if these kids played.

Adam Lowry
Cody Ceci
Derrick Pouliot
Matt Dumba
Hunter Shinkaruk
Seth Griffith
Sean Monahan
Tom Wilson

Bolded the no's.

And then add Corrado, Sissons

Remove Murphy, Rielly, MacKinnon, Lipon, Hudon, Rattie, Reinhart

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Spott deserves a large part of the blame for this. This team had the talent to win easily. They were unmotivated for large stretches throughout the tourney, and certain players received far more ice time then they should have.

Offensive talent does not mean anything.

Needed size and grit.

I've said it all along, before Game 1.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Classless Russians :sarcasm:

That was a sick goal though

Wow, taunting the Canadian bench...

I wish this team had more players to keep the Russians honest, that needs to be addressed next time around, this team had zero bite outside of a few players.

Is it any different when Canada does it? Pathetic, you guys only see it when you're losing but when you're winning its ok and"boys will be boys" mentality. Hell,Canada taunted USA when they were LOSING a few years ago

Call it both ways or don't call it at all. Canadians taunted the Russian get over it

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Nice to see Biggs out there in the last minute protecting the win for USA. Had a very good game today. Lots of minutes on the 3rd line shutdown line and PK unit.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Is it any different when Canada does it? Pathetic, you guys only see it when you're losing but when you're winning its ok and"boys will be boys" mentality. Hell,Canada taunted USA when they were LOSING a few years ago

Call it both ways or don't call it at all. Canadians taunted the Russian get over it

I agree.

It isn't right but it happens all the time.

I'm not sure I like the way the Bronze is handed out though, as the losers have no reason to stay for that. Play the anthem, shake hands and then let the losing team go to their room. Hand out the medals without rubbing it in for 10 minutes.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I agree.

It isn't right but it happens all the time.

I'm not sure I like the way the Bronze is handed out though, as the losers have no reason to stay for that. Play the anthem, shake hands and then let the losing team go to their room. Hand out the medals without rubbing it in for 10 minutes.

Public humiliation will be good for the returnees next year.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009

It's pathetic and classless. That's what it is, regardless of who does it.

Espher

Nov 22, 2008
Fredericton, N.B.
Coaching was painful the last two games.

Seemed to be very little in the way of mid-game adjustments, and I don't know how I felt about the goaltending change in this one.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I agree, especially nilsson has impressed me this tournament. He is so calm out there, but still knows when his team needs him to be more aggressive and lay out timely hits. His decisionmaking is brilliant, he has very good positioning offensively as well as defensively, possesses good passing skills and puck control.

Another great pick by Bergman!

This is a major projection, but I see a bit of Konstantinov in the kid. Right on with the analysis, calm, physical, good decision maker. Will be interesting to see where he ends up on the Leafs D in a few years. He's still eligible to play next year I thnk, he was a late B day if I recall from our draft. Good pick by Mo and Bergy.

He was out there when Gally was for most of the game, seemed to be the matchup by the Swedish coach, basically made Gally invisible. He had no time and space at all.

Last edited:

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
On a positive note, I thought Drouin had a fantastic tournament. He played a lot with MacKinnon and always looked like he had better control of the puck. Taking into account only this tournament, having MacKinnon rated higher than Drouin would seem pretty crazy. I'm glad i'm not a scout.
You realize Mac barely played right? Drouin had much more ice time, which is why he looked way better. Obviously this tournament isn't the only factor for the draft.

If Spott was competent he would have tried Drouin and MacKinnon together much more frequently, as they have insane chemistry together.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Biggs, Troechek, and Grimaldi line, most dominating line in the gold medal game. Complete shut down of the Swedish #1 line and had all the goals for Team USA.

Evidence again you need all types of players to win championships. I thought Jones got better as the tournament went on, this kid is a stud, there is no way I see him not going #1 if he continues to play even better as the season goes on. Portland will play a lot of important games late in the season and he may even add more hardware to his collection.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Nice to see Biggs out there in the last minute protecting the win for USA. Had a very good game today. Lots of minutes on the 3rd line shutdown line and PK unit.

Ive said it before and I'll say it again ~ Even if Biggs doesnt have the offensive ability to play top 6 (which is still up in the air), hes developing solidly defensively. That combined with size and willingness to use the size will make him an extremely valuable asset to this team moving forward.

Theres a vast difference between a quality third liner and a 3rd line plug (something some people fail to realize).

Very happy with the Biggs pick.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
This is a major projection, but I see a bit of Konstantinov in the kid. Right on with the analysis, calm, physical, good decision maker. Will be interesting to see where he ends up on the Leafs D in a few years. He's still eligible to play next year I thnk, he was a late B day if I recall from our draft. Good pick by Mo and Bergy.

He was out there when Gally was for most of the game, seemed to be the matchup by the Swedish coach, basically made Gally invisible. He had no time and space at all.

Check twitter. The people paid to analyze don't agree with your Gally agenda. At all.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Kulemin-Grabovski-Nichushkin

Nichushkin is raw, but two memorable drives to the net in this tournament, both resulting in goals.

Seems to have excellent power skating, and although it was two of the worst defenders on Canada he victimized today, he also did it to Jones against the Americans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad