GDT: World Junior Championships 2013 - Discussion III

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Public humiliation will be good for the returnees next year.

Returnees? Not one eligible player from this year should return. Send a group of the best 17 and 18 years old and let them prepare to win when they are 18 and 19 years old. Try something different.

We now suck at hockey at the WJHC! U.S.A. wins gold. Sweden last year and Russia the year before. Come on!

Maybe Hockey Canada HAS been told that we can't win it all the time any more. That may explain the poor coaching and player selections!!! I'm serious now.

:rant:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Check twitter. The people paid to analyze don't agree with your Gally agenda. At all.

If you watched any of the USA games since the CAN and RUS losses, the reduction of Gally's ice time and the increase of Troechek's coincided with the USA going undefeated the rest of the tournament. Even USA fans have said Gally has all but been invisible.

Thats the beauty of actually watching the game, then reading box scores to see who scores the 9th goal in blowouts.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Yahoo... we're number 4!

Go Canada Go. Relegation next year!

Yes, I'm pissed.

Last edited:

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I wonder if we can get the crowd at every game Spott coaches this year to boo him? Honestly, this disaster should be squarely on his shoulders and his stupid decision making.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Team Canada... turning into the image of the Toronto Maple Leafs... a bunch of losers on ice!

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
I think when picking a coach next year, it's probably best to not pick a guy who looks as bewildered as Spott. He looks exactly like I looked at my first hockey game.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Tyler Biggs +3 today. Best forward at +6, with only 1 point in tournament.

Only fault is he didn't finish, Biggs had a lot of chances in the tourney. But the positive was he played a major role on the Troechek line when Housley gave them more ice time and took away ice for less effective players. That stat tells the story how effective they were 5 on 5 and on the PK. If he becomes this sort of 3rd line player on the Leafs, he is going to be a very valuable player to our franchise.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
No one forcing you to watch(either).

I'm sure an American citizenship could be easily acquired.

Just relax.

I've been 'relaxing' since 1967! I may never see the Leafs win another SC. I can't even 'relax' and see Team Canada win gold as a consolation prize any more! I'm pissed, so, please don't tell me to relax!

:rant:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If you watched any of the USA games since the CAN and RUS losses, the reduction of Gally's ice time and the increase of Troechek's coincided with the USA going undefeated the rest of the tournament. Even USA fans have said Gally has all but been invisible.

Thats the beauty of watching the game, then reading box scores to see who scores the 9th goal in blowouts.

Comes right back to 18 year olds and 19 year olds in the WJC. For the most part it is th e 19 year olds you rely on.

Rielly, Galchenyuk both have opportunities to come back next year and make an impact. Forsberg, Grigorenko, Trouba, Vaselevski, Hertl, Pokka are 2012 picks selected as, one of, their teams best players this year.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Only fault is he didn't finish, Biggs had a lot of chances in the tourney. But the positive was he played a major role on the Troechek line when Housley gave them more ice time and took away ice for less effective players. That stat tells the story how effective they were 5 on 5 and on the PK. If he becomes this sort of 3rd line player on the Leafs, he is going to be a very valuable player to our franchise.

I was thinking he could be the American version of Kulemin, with less hands but more fists.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Comes right back to 18 year olds and 19 year olds in the WJC. For the most part it is th e 19 year olds you rely on.

Rielly, Galchenyuk both have opportunities to come back next year and make an impact. Forsberg, Grigorenko, Trouba, Vaselevski, Hertl, Pokka are 2012 picks selected as, one of, their teams best players this year.

This tournament for me will be remembered on how unpactful the 2011 NHL draft Canadians were. I think Drouin, Trouba, Jones, and even Rielly showed more. Rielly never got a major shake with Spott until it was over. He made some mistakes, but even those not his fault are under a microscope. I doubt he plays next year, since he is likely to be on the Leafs unless the league is locked out, but I suspect, Dumba, Mathieson, Pouliot and Koekkoek will be more effective D men next year.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I was thinking he could be the American version of Kulemin, with less hands but more fists.

I thought that too ironically. Add on the leadership component for Biggs, not something to be overlooked. The best part is he played big in the big games. This should never go unnoticed by fans.

SarcazemKadri

Feb 15, 2012
Toronto
Aside from all the negativity,

I really like Nilsson's game. Smart, efficient with some toughness. Definitely surprised me. I think the initial question marks were with his skill level, and this tournament seems to have showcased that potential. Glad he got the ice time and hope he becomes a Gunnarson/Kronwall hybrid.

Thought Biggs looked solid. I'd like to see his explosiveness improve, but big men take longer.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
He needs more seasoning in junior.

Not NHL ready.

Won't be able to compete physically.

Tell that to Erik Karlsson..he's still has the body of a stick and he's won the Norris Trophy at the age of 21.

6 ft 180 lbs ---> Karlsson.

6 ft 205 lbs ----> Morgan Rielly.

He'll be more than able to compete physically, the other aspects of his game will decide if he'll play or not.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Tell that to Erik Karlsson..he's still has the body of a stick and he's won the Norris Trophy at the age of 21.

6 ft 180 lbs ---> Karlsson.

6 ft 205 lbs ----> Morgan Rielly.

He'll be more than able to compete physically, the other aspects of his game will decide if he'll play or not.

There's only one Erik Karlsson.

We shouldn't be setting the benchmark for Rielly at Norris level defenceman.

We should treat him for what he is.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
He needs more seasoning in junior.

Not NHL ready.

Won't be able to compete physically.

I think this myth needs to be busted already. There are many guys among the top D-men who MoRiles already outweighs and he has been labelled as someone dedicated to health and fitness. Lidstrom is something like 15 pounds lighter than Morgan and I think he did fine for himself.

If he's not NHL ready, it's because his skills aren't NHL level, not because he's not physically ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad