GDT: USA-Czech Republic, 7:30 p.m Local Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
willie said:
It appears Russia is well on their way to victory over Switzerland which means Russia, U.S. & the Czechs all advance.

My question is, do the Czech's even want to win this game? A win (or a tie) means the Czechs would finish second in their pool. (and, consequently, would play Canada in the semis) The Americans will avoid a semi-final match with Canada regardless of the outcome. (win = 1st, tie/loss = 3rd) So the Americans are motivated by the possibility of a bye while the Czech's really have no motivation to win this game. (other than to send the States a message)

sounds right to me- the US appears to be in pretty good position, standings-wise. a russia/canada semi would be awesome :yo:

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
Maybe I am wrong but I thought they went by goals for and goals against. I remember hearing that Finland would have to beat Canada by a crazy amount of goals in order to get first place.
That comment about Finland was made before they beat Sweden, and was only applicable to the case where Sweden beat Finland, which didn't happen. :teach:

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
beets said:
nope...gotta make room for college basketball...nice huh? blah
i have 25 "local" ****ing sports channels, and they're runnging idoitic talk shows and bruins re-runs.

cable companies have ruined television...

topshelf331

May 8, 2003
Stl
Visit site
I wish Foxsports would have picked it up instead of espn. Why pick it up and not show it? AT least one of the foxsports channels would have been showing it.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Bob McKenzie in not so many words:

Czechs could throw the game to finnish 3rd and avoid any possible matchup with the Canadians until the finals..... or atleast that theory is out there.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Boomhower said:
Bob Mackenzie in not so many words:

Czechs may throw the game to finnish 3rd and avoid any possible matchup with the Canadians until the finals..... or atleast that theory is out there.

It may be hard to throw the game for the Czechs with the USA goaltending and all ... :D

Maybe the Czechs using there Backup Goalie is just to even things out a little ..

kidding :D

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
How does the seeding in this group work? If the Czechs win, they get 2nd place, and if they lose, the US gets 2nd?

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
I have only been listening to the game in the background but I swear I have heard both Bob McKenzie and Pierre Mcguire mention a possible tank job by the Czechs so they won't have to play Canada unless they get to the final. Am I hearing right? Why do the Czechs have their back-up goalie in?? :amazed:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad