GDT: USA-Czech Republic, 7:30 p.m Local Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I didn't want to make a new thread just for this...

Is the first round of the playoffs being shown by ESPN2? US vs Sweden on Jan 1st?

chicpea*

Hercules Rockefeller said:
How'd Smid look?

He started off shaky, got hit in the face by a puck, missed at most two shifts and was then pretty decent the rest of the game. I can't really praise the D on either side to be honest as it was end to end most of the second and third. That said, Smid didn't make any glaring errors that I recall.

And for anyone who cares, I thought Likens played far better tonight than last, thought that wasn't too hard to do.

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
Koutsky was outstanding, the US should've won or at the very least tied this one... I only saw the last 30 mins of ten game, the US was doing everything, but Koutsky closed the door...

Seems like we have to play the US again :(

AgentNaslund*

Slick Nick said:
Koutsky was outstanding, the US should've won or at the very least tied this one... I only saw the last 30 mins of ten game, the US was doing everything, but Koutsky closed the door...

Seems like we have to play the US again :(

Dont take Credit away from the Czechs. They had numerous oppurtunity's to close out the game.

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
Tuggy said:
Actually Montoya looked very poor on all the goals and throughout the game.

I disagree. He looked like crap on the goals, especially the second, but the way he bounced back later in the game should give Team USA fans a little hope.

Right after the 2nd goal, the Czechs obviously smelled fear and they were hucking all kinds of junk at the goal because it looked like Montoya was ready to completely collapse. The USA player who got the puck into the Czech zone at that point might have saved the whole tournament for the Americans. If Montoya gave up another goal right after the second cheeseball he served up, I think he (and maybe the whole team) would have fallen apart. Instead, USA goes down to the other end, mounts a little pressure, draw a penalty, and get Montoya some time to get his head back together. I think the second half of the game got Montoya some of his confidence back, and I bet Team USA are thinking that means they still have a chance.

From an execution standpoint, tonight's game was pretty crappy and it's hard to see either of these teams challenging Canada based on the way they played tonight. Still, if Koutsky plays like that again, or if Montoya is getting back on track, you just can't tell.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
59.37 4 min USA 12. O'SULLIVAN, Patrick Roughing
59.37 2 min USA 7. SUTER, Ryan Roughing
59.37 10 min USA 7. SUTER, Ryan Misconduct
59.37 2 min Czech Republic 7. TUMA, Martin Roughing
59.37 10 min Czech Republic 7. TUMA, Martin Misconduct
59.37 2 min Czech Republic 21. GULASI, Michal Roughing
59.37 20 min USA 9. FRITSCHE, Dan Game Misconduct
59.37 10 min Czech Republic 20. VRANA, Petr Misconduct

What happened?

gib

Feb 3, 2004
Seems to me that some USA players couldn`t handle the loss, but I don`t know what they did.

Kaiped Krusader

Jul 1, 2004
Rylan up the Opposition
I didn't see it but listened on the radio. It sounded like there was a flurry around the Czech goal and the Americans were close to scoring when the Czech skaters started piling in the net to help keep the puck out and the Americans got pissed off about it and started roughing up the Czechs.

czechhockeyfan

Mar 8, 2003
Czech republic
Visit site
chicpea said:
He started off shaky, got hit in the face by a puck, missed at most two shifts and was then pretty decent the rest of the game. I can't really praise the D on either side to be honest as it was end to end most of the second and third. That said, Smid didn't make any glaring errors that I recall.

And for anyone who cares, I thought Likens played far better tonight than last, thought that wasn't too hard to do.

Among Czech D I like Roman Polak play. I still think he should be drafted much higher.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
chicpea said:
Disagree...Likens gives the puck up more than any blueliner I have seen in the tourney.

Vic Rattlehead*

tommi462 said:
59.37 4 min USA 12. O'SULLIVAN, Patrick Roughing
59.37 2 min USA 7. SUTER, Ryan Roughing
59.37 10 min USA 7. SUTER, Ryan Misconduct
59.37 2 min Czech Republic 7. TUMA, Martin Roughing
59.37 10 min Czech Republic 7. TUMA, Martin Misconduct
59.37 2 min Czech Republic 21. GULASI, Michal Roughing
59.37 20 min USA 9. FRITSCHE, Dan Game Misconduct
59.37 10 min Czech Republic 20. VRANA, Petr Misconduct

What happened?
The Americans were upset, and at the end, Vrana began to talk a lot of trash, hence the misconduct penelty.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Congrats Czechs, I'm proud of you my boys!

After all, I do have 25% of Czech blood!!!!!!!!

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
MePutPuckInNet said:
Dude, that ain't no joke. Amen, brother. :yo:

The US will not make it to the Finals, we lost to the Czechs freaking backup goalie (couldn't put more than 1 puck past him!) :shakehead I thought they were the most talently gifted in the offensive zone :banghead:

chicpea*

slats432 said:
Disagree...Likens gives the puck up more than any blueliner I have seen in the tourney.

Yes, but that doesn't mean he played worse than he did against Belarus.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
RoyIsALegend said:
The Americans look absolutely terrible.

Awful hockey club.

It's tough to argue with that. The sad thing is, all of these pool games were there for the taking. If Montoya would have had even his "B" game and the defense would have been average we probably would be 4-0 with the bye. This just can't seem to be able to fire on all cylinders, which is why a medal of any color is a pipedream. Even if we beat Sweden I doubt we can beat Russia again, especially since they're peaking at the right time.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Rabid Ranger said:
It would seem that way. I wonder if things would have been differant if Blais had remained the coach?
I am not familiar with Sandelin, but I have interviewed Mike Hastings, one of the assistants and he is a very sharp and passionate guy.

chicpea*

Rabid Ranger said:
It's tough to argue with that. The sad thing is, all of these pool games were there for the taking. If Montoya would have had even his "B" game and the defense would have been average we probably would be 4-0 with the bye. This just can't seem to be able to fire on all cylinders, which is why a medal of any color is a pipedream. Even if we beat Sweden I doubt we can beat Russia again, especially since they're peaking at the right time.

I think if the US plays like it did last night, they will demolish Sweden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad