GDT: Canada vs. Czech Republic - Feb. 21, 10:30 AM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe_shannon_1983*

Hrudey continuing his analysis on Vokoun being intimidated by Brodeur.

Says that Vokoun knows he can't beat Brodeur. Says that Vokoun was beaten by Brodeur at the World Cup, and can't shake the memories of it.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
BlueAndWhite said:
I don't think anyone is getting excited. The play hasn't been stellar - and it's only been one period.

However, Pronger's goal was not weak.

Yeah that was the best play Pronger's made in 2 games. Jumped into the play at the right time and took a bullet shot.

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
I'm not overly excited, but I have seen some promising improvements. Canada still needs a bit more desire and chase the puck a little better.

FinnswissX

May 20, 2005
What's the matter with the Czechs? Is Canada now playing so well or is the Czech team so bad?
The Czechs should have more very good players than only Jagr. It's not possible that they suck so strongly, only because Jagr can't play, even if he is very good.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
BlueAndWhite said:
I don't think anyone is getting excited. The play hasn't been stellar - and it's only been one period.

However, Pronger's goal was not weak.

I beg to differ. He was too deep in his net and his positioning was not even square. That's a save he makes in the NHL. Vokoun is choking. He's reminding me of Theodore right now.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
BlueAndWhite said:
It's one player. Vokoun.

The Czech's still have had some good offensive chances.

I've been saying this for a while. Look at the roster. Point the real goalscorers.
Without Havlat, Elias, Sykora and Prucha, you're only really down to Jagr and the struggling Hejduk.
Kotalik could help, but not playing with Olesz. :dunno:
No offense, but Erat, Bulis, Cajanek, Olesz and Co., don't really scare anybody in this tournament.
Frantisek Kaberle and Kuba certainly don't help on D.
A guy like Vasicek could have also helped, they're horrible on faceoffs, and the only guy that actually hits is Kotalik.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Finnswiss said:
What's the matter with the Czechs? Is Canada now playing so well or is the Czech team so bad?
The Czechs should have more very good players than only Jagr. It's not possible that they suck so strongly, only because Jagr can't play, even if he is very good.

The Czechs haven't played all that badly today outside of Vokoun.

kingpin_19

Jan 5, 2005
Drumheller, AB
ferns8916 said:

Says that Vokoun knows he can't beat Brodeur. Says that Vokoun was beaten by Brodeur at the World Cup, and can't shake the memories of it.

Did Kelly Hrudey ever beat Brodeur?

Rival39

Dec 28, 2005
Oh ya Prongs and his broken foot put one in the net. Hope all the Pronger doubters out there liked that one!

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Finnswiss said:

Don't let the 3-0 score fool you. The game has been fairly well paced and even so far IMO.

If Vokoun doesn't let in those two weak, weak goals - it would only be a 1-0 score.

GuloGulo

Nov 16, 2005
trunkofacamaro
Corto said:
I've been saying this for a while. Look at the roster. Point the real goalscorers.
Without Havlat, Elias, Sykora and Prucha, you're only really down to Jagr and the struggling Hejduk.
Kotalik could help, but not playing with Olesz. :dunno:
No offense, but Erat, Bulis, Cajanek, Olesz and Co., don't really scare anybody in this tournament.
Frantisek Kaberle and Kuba certainly don't help on D.
A guy like Vasicek could have also helped, they're horrible on faceoffs, and the only guy that actually hits is Kotalik.

When you put it like that, half their team is missing :amazed:
Fischer too ;)

Legolas

Apr 11, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Hackett said:
Vokou cost the czechs a world cup voctory too. They should have beat canada if your remember that game. Vokoun was stinky.

This guy does't show up for big international games.

Vokoun beat Canada and Brodeur at the World Championships just last year. It sounds like he's having a bad tournament, but there were a lot of people who thought he should play ahead of Hasek even before the injury. This game ultimately means nothing because the quarterfinal game is going to be difficult no matter who you play. Vokoun needs to step it up, but he is certainly capable.

Legolas

Apr 11, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Rival39 said:
Oh ya Prongs and his broken foot put one in the net. Hope all the Pronger doubters out there liked that one!

It's amazing what he can do when Koivu isn't on the ice. :D Jokes...glad to see the big man come through...hopefully he and Blake are stepping it up at the right time.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Legolas said:
Vokoun beat Canada and Brodeur at the World Championships just last year. It sounds like he's having a bad tournament, but there were a lot of people who thought he should play ahead of Hasek even before the injury. This game ultimately means nothing because the quarterfinal game is going to be difficult no matter who you play. Vokoun needs to step it up, but he is certainly capable.

you have a point there. I remember Brodeur allowed a very weak GWG in the world championships.

I guess as a Canadian, I often overlook the world championship tourney.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
ferns8916 said:

Does Hrudey have selective memory or something? Vokoun beat Brodeur at the World Championships, with a shutout no less. And it's not like that World Cup game was a goaltender's duel that Vokoun came out on the short end of.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
Epsilon said:
Kelly Hrudey is an idiot, Vokoun hasn't been playing well at all during the tournament. It has nothing to do with Brodeur.

Using that logic, Vokoun has been intimidated by Aebischer as well. And he's done quite well against Aebischer's other team this year. Don't see the logic other than to say that Vokoun is a terrible goaltender right now. He's playing bad hockey on a big stage and that just gets compounded by the pressure.

He can play his way out of it, but I don't think he's got the team in front of him to do it on his own. He needs his team to score a handful of goals so that he understands that he doesn't have to be perfect. But with the way the Czech offense has produced so far in this tournament, Vokoun feels the need to hold teams to 1 or 2 goals. Talk about a vicious cycle. Every goal he gives up is one goal that he realizes the Czech's will struggle to get back. So he plays even tighter. Struggling goalies with little confidence don't play well tight.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
The Czechs should hope Slovakia wins their game today. If there's one thing that could pull them out of this funk it's a game with their big rival.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad