Proposal: Gaudreau to Boston

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
BOS declines.

Gaudreau might be an excellent player, but has serious limitations. He’s small and cannot handle the physical game. AVs exposed his weaknesses by isolating him from the bigger Monaghan. Bruins would need a big or highly skilled C to provide protection. Only 1.5 years from UFA. He’s not a player they need.

ReggiesLemons

Jul 4, 2013
When players are 5 or 6 years removed from their draft year and they are producing 0.5 pts/game in the AHL and producing like a 4th liner in the NHL, they are no longer valued as a 1st. This package might be made up of 1st round picks but it's not 4 x 1st value, not even close. If it is, the Canucks offer Virtanen, Juolevi, Baertschi and Sutter for Eichel - they wanted 4 - 1sts.
First of all, did you just compare Eichel, 24 years old, franchise C to Johnny Goudreau, who is 27 and plays LW?

Secondly that package comparison is ridiculous. You included Brandon Sutter? You know, 32 years old and drafted in 2007. Baertschi also 28 years old and drafted in 2011. At least Virtanen and Juolevi may have a little untapped potential.

I am not going to pretend the Bruins players being offered are the best things going but DeBrusk can easily rebound, won't be 25 until October. Beecher a 6'3 C, who has yet to turn 20 and was drafted in 2019. Frederic is probably not going to become an offensive dynamo but should be a useful bottom 6 guy, hits, fights and has no problem getting into the dirty areas. Trent is getting his first real crack at the NHL this year. Finally, a 1st. Not sure what year that pick will be but probably a later first either way.

Finally, the Bruins would be looking to add a player for the playoffs, why in the world would they want someone who disappears? I would much rather trade a whole let less for Bennett and get a player who will show up.

Thank you for the laughs!

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
BOS declines.

Gaudreau might be an excellent player, but has serious limitations. He’s small and cannot handle the physical game. AVs exposed his weaknesses by isolating him from the bigger Monaghan. Bruins would need a big or highly skilled C to provide protection. Only 1.5 years from UFA. He’s not a player they need.
You think Monahan's size has kept Gaudreau insulated? Lol.

The avs realized Monahan could do nothing without Gaudreau so they just shadowed him the whole series.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
First of all, did you just compare Eichel, 24 years old, franchise C to Johnny Goudreau, who is 27 and plays LW?

Secondly that package comparison is ridiculous. You included Brandon Sutter? You know, 32 years old and drafted in 2007. Baertschi also 28 years old and drafted in 2011. At least Virtanen and Juolevi may have a little untapped potential.

I am not going to pretend the Bruins players being offered are the best things going but DeBrusk can easily rebound, won't be 25 until October. Beecher a 6'3 C, who has yet to turn 20 and was drafted in 2019. Frederic is probably not going to become an offensive dynamo but should be a useful bottom 6 guy, hits, fights and has no problem getting into the dirty areas. Trent is getting his first real crack at the NHL this year. Finally, a 1st. Not sure what year that pick will be but probably a later first either way.

Finally, the Bruins would be looking to add a player for the playoffs, why in the world would they want someone who disappears? I would much rather trade a whole let less for Bennett and get a player who will show up.

Thank you for the laughs!
I'm glad you understand my point of how ridiculous it is to value the OP's offer as having the value of 4 x 1sts. I think we can agree it does not.

ReggiesLemons

Jul 4, 2013
Those are still 3 recent Bruins picks and 1 actual 1st included. Your post wasn't even remotely close to that in value, and somehow you managed to compare Gaudreau to a more valuable player in Eichel. Sutter and Baertschi are far from recent picks. Sutter wasn't even drafted by Vancouver. None of what you posted makes any sense at all. Baertschi was already waived a while back. I doubt anyone would claim Sutter if he was put on waivers. Keep on trolling.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
It's laughable that people think Monahan is the reason for Gaudreaus success. You literally see 4 guys converging on Johnny almost constantly. He's played with Monahan who has been brutal this year and a collection of 4th liners or PTO level players on the other wing.

Brett Ritchie has been his best linemate this season. Bruins fans should know what that shows.

Reactions: wintersej and CF84

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Those are still 3 recent Bruins picks and 1 actual 1st included. Your post wasn't even remotely close to that in value, and somehow you managed to compare Gaudreau to a more valuable player in Eichel. Sutter and Baertschi are far from recent picks. Sutter wasn't even drafted by Vancouver. None of what you posted makes any sense at all. Baertschi was already waived a while back. I doubt anyone would claim Sutter if he was put on waivers. Keep on trolling.
I think what he is saying is that Sutter and Baertschi were better regarded prospects than the guys the Bruins would be giving up in this scenario.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
id prefer the guy that plays 82 and scores 16 vs the guy who plays 65 and scores 16

Really? If the replacement players scores 4 goals in the remaining 17 games, your overall production is higher.

Simple math lol.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
You think Monahan's size has kept Gaudreau insulated? Lol.

The avs realized Monahan could do nothing without Gaudreau so they just shadowed him the whole series.

They need each other. Gaudreau is a driver and has exceptional hockey IQ, but needs a bigger C to clear the zone. Monahan is the big target pushing towards the net. Neutralize either player and they’ll be ineffective. AVs since their playoff victory, CGY has not been the same. Teams have used the same defensive alignment and their point totals have collapsed.

Few teams are willing to offer a significant package for a struggling players with a large cap.

CF84

I want to go home, O I want to go home!
Feb 21, 2017
The real cowtown, AB
They need each other. Gaudreau is a driver and has exceptional hockey IQ, but needs a bigger C to clear the zone. Monahan is the big target pushing towards the net. Neutralize either player and they’ll be ineffective. AVs since their playoff victory, CGY has not been the same. Teams have used the same defensive alignment and their point totals have collapsed.

Few teams are willing to offer a significant package for a struggling players with a large cap.
When has Monahan pushed hard towards the net? He may have the body of someone that can accomplish that, but he sure doesn't play that way. His shot has been severely lacking this year (needs surgery) and he is just simply not that dangerous. Don't even get me started on the wingers that have been playing with them. I'm guessing you haven't watched Monahan much? I would venture to say that Monahan needs Johnny, but Johnny doesn't need Monahan.

Johnny is the only real danger on the line which makes them incredibly predictable and easy to defend. Put two dangerous players beside Johnny and I'm certain they would make any line in hockey sweat.

I really like Monahan and hope he finds his game, but this is just plain wrong.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

This is unequivocally false lol. Monahan doesn't even use his size haha.

Reactions: Patagonia

ReggiesLemons

Jul 4, 2013
I think what he is saying is that Sutter and Baertschi were better regarded prospects than the guys the Bruins would be giving up in this scenario.
Okay and that was a decade ago. What does that have to do with anything? Sutter has had a decent career. Baertschi has spent the majority of the last 2 seasons in the AHL, he has long been in bust territory. Virtanen has done very little. Juolevi is still young and plays D so they often take more time to mature, he may turn out to be a decent NHLer. None of what he said or you chiming in to defend makes any sense at all. I never said nor do I care if Flames fan would do the original deal. I doubt Boston would anyways.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Calgary should unload on most of there core to rebuild and get a better team identity. Boston gets a top 6 threat that would work well with Pasta and wouldn’t have as much attention on him as here in Calgary.

to Boston: Gaudreau (50 percent retained)

to Calgary: Trent Frederic, John Beecher, Jake Debrusk, 1st round pick.

Calgary gets some younger players with upside and Debrusk with a hopeful bounce back. Boston gets a possible 100 point guy who could light it up with Boston’s top 6.
Calgary will expect at least one valuable asset in return. There is nothing valuable here. Reduce the deal to one player and one pick. Why not Carlo for Gaudreau?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Okay and that was a decade ago. What does that have to do with anything? Sutter has had a decent career. Baertschi has spent the majority of the last 2 seasons in the AHL, he has long been in bust territory. Virtanen has done very little. Juolevi is still young and plays D so they often take more time to mature, he may turn out to be a decent NHLer. None of what he said or you chiming in to defend makes any sense at all. I never said nor do I care if Flames fan would do the original deal. I doubt Boston would anyways.
You're still not getting the point. As an example the Flames couldn't get a 7th round pick for Jankowski who was a 1st round pick and they could get a 1st round pick for Mangiapane who was a 6th round pick. Draft position has nothing to do with value. His point was this is not 4 1st round picks in value.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Counter:

Gaudreau and Gio for McAvoy and Kase or Zboril.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
McAvoy is a young Norris contender. They aren't going to trade him. Especially for two older, less valuable players.

Gio actually won the Norris and Johnny was top 10 in scoring not that long ago. You've got to give to get. I'm sure they would just like to send us their garbage, but that's not how trades work.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Gio actually won the Norris and Johnny was top 10 in scoring not that long ago. You've got to give to get. I'm sure they would just like to send us their garbage, but that's not how trades work.
Gio won a Norris past tense , he is 37 years old so who is trying to move their garbage. Gueadreu is a free agent next year , so McAvoy stays.

Reactions: JoeBeef15

JoeBeef15

Feb 6, 2012
Somerville, MA
upload_2021-4-3_19-40-17.png

Giordano is one hundred thirty seven years old

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad