Games you are currently playing: ROUND SIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I'm all over the place.

Golf Story, Steamworld Dig 2, Odyssey, Lost Sphear and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on Switch

Horizon, FFXV and Dark Souls 3 on PS4.

I have no self control. I just can't stick to one game and play it to completion.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Switch : Mario Odyseey
Xbone: Rayman Legends, Battlefield
PS4: Lost Spher, Romancing Saga 2

How are you finding Lost Sphear? I'm only like an hour or so in (just got to the first big city) and I find the story to be a drag. I turn it on to play and usually only get 5 mins in before I switch to something else or turn it off because I'm bored.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
How are you finding Lost Sphear? I'm only like an hour or so in (just got to the first big city) and I find the story to be a drag. I turn it on to play and usually only get 5 mins in before I switch to something else or turn it off because I'm bored.

The story isn't the grestest but it does pick up later. The battle engine is superb, played about 17 hours thus far

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Had started MGSV, but I was hitting a bit of open world fatigue (dropped probably about 300 hours combined into Breath of the Wild and Just Cause 3 over the previous four or so months, and I had played Horizon: Zero Dawn prior to those two), so I put it aside to recover as I didn't want to waste a potentially good experience.

Been playing Celeste, Super Mario Odyssey again, and vanilla Minecraft, of all things, as of late. I'll probably come back to MGSV in the next couple of weeks.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Played the NES versions of some older Mario games (I'm more familiar with the All Stars versions) after fiddling w/ SNES Classic mods. Namely Super Mario Bros 2 (USA) and Super Mario Bros 2 (Japan)/Lost Levels.

I recall Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA) getting flack for not being authentic Mario, but personally that's never taken anything away from it for me (I don't think it's some sort of sell-out move to re-brand a different property that wouldn't otherwise get exposure anyways with a new skin, personally). Not sure how well appreciated it is, so hard to say if it's underrated, but it's a great game with a wonderful aesthetic, and a welcome change of pace. I actually would put it on the same level or higher as many other revered Nintendo games, like the first Donkey Kong Country, for example. However, it's definitely not the outright masterpiece that Super Mario Bros. 1, Super Mario Bros. 3, and Super Mario World are, IMO.

Having said that, I absolutely love the boldness of Super Mario Bros. 2 (Japan)/Lost Levels, which I had previously dismissed as an amusing curiosity and nothing more. I think it's a very appropriate and brilliant way to do a sequel. Instead of necessarily re-inventing the wheel every single time, the idea of taking a masterpiece and doing the same thing again but completely removing any compromise and disregarding the general audience to make the most extreme/sadistic/amusing thing that you feel like making, that toys with your psychology/expectations, and without any dip in quality, is incredible. It takes all of the intrigue of sadistic Mario Maker levels and rom hack culture, that generally tend to feel gimmicky and stupid but fun, and instead does it completely organically and with as impeccable game design as the first game. Kind of an inspired decision/attitude that Nintendo never attempted again. The decision to opt for a different-physics Luigi that changes the whole game over a two player mode is really cool as well. I'm tempted to even go as far as to say that it's as great or better than the first one. There's something about it that feels strangely liberating in an almost avant garde kind of way.

After playing these, it's kind of become crystal clear to me that I feel that the original trilogy of Super Mario Bros. 1, Super Mario Bros. 2 (Japan), and Super Mario Bros. 3 is by far the greatest, most consistent/tight/cohesive, and most relentlessly bold and awe-inspiring video game trilogy of all time. It's rare to have a trilogy so peerless in any medium, really. Normally there are bound to be holes and weak links even in the best of them, but not in this case.

Last edited:

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Played the NES versions of some older Mario games (I'm more familiar with the All Stars versions) after fiddling w/ SNES Classic mods. Namely Super Mario Bros 2 (USA) and Super Mario Bros 2 (Japan)/Lost Levels.

I recall Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA) getting flack for not being authentic Mario, but personally that's never taken anything away from it for me (I don't think it's some sort of sell-out move to re-brand a different property that wouldn't otherwise get exposure anyways with a new skin, personally). Not sure how well appreciated it is, so hard to say if it's underrated, but it's a great game with a wonderful aesthetic, and a welcome change of pace. I actually would put it on the same level or higher as many other revered Nintendo games, like the first Donkey Kong Country, for example. However, it's definitely not the outright masterpiece that Super Mario Bros. 1, Super Mario Bros. 3, and Super Mario World are, IMO.

Having said that, I was thinking about it, and I actually kind of absolutely love the boldness of Super Mario Bros. 2 (Japan)/Lost Levels, which I had previously dismissed as an amusing curiosity and nothing more. I think it's a very appropriate way and brilliant way to do a sequel. Instead of necessarily re-inventing the wheel every single time, the idea of taking a masterpiece and doing the same thing again but completely removing any compromise and disregarding the general audience to make the most extreme/sadistic/amusing thing that you feel like making, that toys with your psychology/expectations, and without any dip in quality, is incredible. It takes all of the intrigue of sadistic Mario Maker levels and rom hack culture, that generally tend to feel gimmicky and stupid but fun, and instead does it completely organically and with as impeccable game design as the first game. Kind of an inspired decision/attitude that Nintendo never attempted again. The decision to opt for a different-physics Luigi that changes the whole game over a two player mode is really cool as well. I'm tempted to even go as far as to say that it's as great or better than the first one. There's something about it that feels strangely liberating in an almost avant garde kind of way.

After playing these, it's kind of become crystal clear to me that I feel that the original trilogy of Super Mario Bros. 1, Super Mario Bros. 2 (Japan), and Super Mario Bros. 3 is by far the greatest, most consistent/tight/cohesive, and most relentlessly bold and awe-inspiring video game trilogy of all time. It's rare to have a trilogy so peerless in any medium, really. Normally there are bound to be holes and weak links even in the best of them, but not in this case.

Damn, I really need to mod my SNES/NES Classics now. Sounds amazing.
I played Mario All Stars a lot growing up and have fond memories of Super Mario Bros. 2. Really enjoyed the different characters having different qualities that changed the gameplay, as well as the unique boss fights. It also might be one of the most challenging Mario games I've ever played. I only ever beat it on the GBA years later, but I remember the final stage being very frustrating.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm still hooked on Subnautica, which is almost annoying because I have little free time with so much Olympics to watch. I originally said that it doesn't exactly break new ground, only doing the familiar extremely well, but I finally built a Cyclops submarine a couple of nights ago. This is so cool. It's like having a mobile base that you can tour the map with. I totally feel like Captain Nemo in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea right now. I was even attacked by a few huge alien octopuses. I've never quite had this kind of experience in a game before.

SMB2 has always been my favorite. It's strange because I generally hate when things change too much between iterations of anything, but I guess that I wasn't nearly so cranky when I was much younger. I always played (and still play) with Luigi. That seems to be a lot of people's favorite, as well. From all that I've observed online over the years, SMB2 is definitely well appreciated and has a lot of fans. It's hard to tell if it's a cult following or if the critics are the vocal minority, though.

I actually liked SMB2 so much that I was a bit disappointed in SMB3 for going "back" to a more SMB1 style of gameplay and appearance (even though it didn't, technically, go "back"). It didn't help that I enjoyed playing Luigi in SMB2 so much that I was puzzled and frustrated that even he couldn't jump nearly as high in SMB3. I'm no doubt in a very small minority of weirdos who liked it the least of the three games.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
FYI, I was reading this and it really got me appreciating Lost Levels more.
I'm still hooked on Subnautica, which is almost annoying because I have little free time with so much Olympics to watch. I originally said that it doesn't exactly break new ground, only doing the familiar extremely well, but I finally built a Cyclops submarine a couple of nights ago. This is so cool. It's like having a mobile base that you can tour the map with. I totally feel like Captain Nemo in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea right now. I was even attacked by a few huge alien octopuses. I've never quite had this kind of experience in a game before.

SMB2 has always been my favorite. It's strange because I generally hate when things change too much between iterations of anything, but I guess that I wasn't nearly so cranky when I was much younger. I always played (and still play) with Luigi. That seems to be a lot of people's favorite, as well. From all that I've observed online over the years, SMB2 is definitely well appreciated and has a lot of fans. It's hard to tell if it's a cult following or if the critics are the vocal minority, though.

I actually liked SMB2 so much that I was a bit disappointed in SMB3 for going "back" to a more SMB1 style of gameplay and appearance (even though it didn't, technically, go "back"). It didn't help that I enjoyed playing Luigi in SMB2 so much that I was puzzled and frustrated that even he couldn't jump nearly as high in SMB3. I'm no doubt in a very small minority of weirdos who liked it the least of the three games.
It seems to be one of those partly split down the middle cases. I think a good chunk of Mario fans consider it a reasonably good but lesser Mario game because it doesn't feel like Mario, and another group think it's nearly just as good or better. I think it fits in just fine (and liked it just as much as a kid), although admittedly, I get more of an inspired/passionate feeling thinking about the other ones.

I always felt that Peach was the most risk-free character on SMB2 (US) (most of the platforming is barely even a challenge with her floating ability), and then used Luigi after that.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Damn, I really need to mod my SNES/NES Classics now. Sounds amazing.
I played Mario All Stars a lot growing up and have fond memories of Super Mario Bros. 2. Really enjoyed the different characters having different qualities that changed the gameplay, as well as the unique boss fights. It also might be one of the most challenging Mario games I've ever played. I only ever beat it on the GBA years later, but I remember the final stage being very frustrating.
I'd recommend it, and not only just to add games. In my opinion, the default picture quality/filtering of the SNES Classic looks way too raw out of the box, with this awful/rough pixel-y/grainy quality to it, especially on titles like Donkey Kong Country and Super Mario RPG. Many SNES games were designed with the smoothing effects of CRT televisions in mind, and the blurring/scanlines that come with the SNES Classic really doesn't do it justice. I modded mine to use Anti Aliasing filters w/ lighter scanlines and mild bilinear blurring, and I think it looks a fair bit better. I've got DKC 1, 2, and 3 on mine, and none of them look remotely dated to me now, visually.

Here's a link for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Nioh. The beta/demo did not really make a good impression on me but after wanting to play something while taking my break from Monster Hunter I checked out the reviews again and decided why not.

Wow I'm having a lot of fun so far. Scratching that Bloodborne/DS itch I've been wanting.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Man I just started playing Assassin's Creed: Origins and I am in love with this game so far.

It's such a fresh change from what they were doing.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Nioh. The beta/demo did not really make a good impression on me but after wanting to play something while taking my break from Monster Hunter I checked out the reviews again and decided why not.

Wow I'm having a lot of fun so far. Scratching that Bloodborne/DS itch I've been wanting.

Just finished it once through. Enjoyed it a lot and had marginally less ARGH!!! moments than DS3 which I rage quit on the stupid dancer boss.

Now firing up the LA Noire remaster, because I really enjoyed it first time around.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Just finished it once through. Enjoyed it a lot and had marginally less ARGH!!! moments than DS3 which I rage quit on the stupid dancer boss.

Now firing up the LA Noire remaster, because I really enjoyed it first time around.

It's really fun, but I am having trouble finding the right rhythm with these bosses. More so than with any DS or Bloodbourne bosses. They aren't tougher really, but so far in this game and I'm having issues figuring out how aggressive/passive I need to be with them.

First boss was owning me because I was being to passive and I'm still on the second.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Playing Kingdom Come Deliverance. I forgot I kick-started them but the game is really solid. Sort of like TES: Morrowind in a historical setting with actual combat.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Got Dragon Age Inquisition off PSN cuz it's on sale, what is the overall opinion on it and does it connect to the others any?

I often see mixed opinions on it, but I personally loved it.

They took a few steps back in some areas (such as party tactics) and kept some of the jank, but overall it was an interesting story and a fun experience. It does try to bring it to an open world style to some success, although I would've preferred it stuck to Origins' way of doing things. It doesn't quite approach Origins in my mind.

It is directly tied into DA2 (especially the Legacy DLC, if you've played that). You can use the Dragon Age Keep online to set your story up to this point, and then import it into the game.

If you enjoy it, I highly recommend picking up the Trespasser DLC, as it rounds out the game nicely and is likely key in any games going forward. The other DLC isn't bad, but is easily avoidable IMO.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Started Tom Clancy's The Division on PC over the weekend. I played it on PS4 at launch all the way until the first encursion was released. I really liked the campaign, but I felt like the end game stuff was pretty boring. Supposedly it's better now, so we'll see. Will probably reach level 30 by Wednesday and start the grind.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Started playing Subnautica a few days ago, have already logged 20+ hours in three days. Highly addictive.

Bought this over a year ago when it was in early access, but waited until the official 1.0 release before playing. Well worth the wait.

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
Picked up persona 5 again, and holy shit I cant put it down. I genuinely cant find a thing I dislike about the game, by the time I beat it it may overtake KH2 as my favourite game

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Got my hands on Need for Speed Rivals and The Witcher 3 Complete Edition on sale on PS4.

Got to say, Rivals is so much fun. Absolutely enjoying it so far.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Games I consistently play

Old School Runescape
NHL 18

Games I've been playing on the side
Spyro: Ripto's Rage
Ratchet & Clank re-master (free on PS Plus this month)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad