GDT: Stanley Cup Playoffs 2023-24

Round 1 Winners?

• Total voters

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Every team would love to Dallas their way out of a rebuild. I’m sure Conroy knows that this won’t be a 2-year turnaround and would be shocked if he makes snap decisions on UFAs or in trading picks to move that along.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
I had a feeling that Vegas would roll through them which is looking good now.

I picked Washington to beat the Rangers though. Need them to make me look smart starting tonight.

I think my hatred of the Rangers probably clouded my judgement.
Washington to beat Rangers??? Come on mate, got to be having a laugh. Ovie/Oshie are super exhausted and checked out, team is thin.... 4:0 Rangers was written on the wall last week.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Washington to beat Rangers??? Come on mate, got to be having a laugh. Ovie/Oshie are super exhausted and checked out, team is thin.... 4:0 Rangers was written on the wall last week.
All year Washington have sucked. And yet they've produced results.

I think the Rangers are the phoniest President's Trophy winners I can recall, so I thought there was decent upset potential there. Close games so far and they haven't played in Washington yet.

The impact on my bracket will be minor regardless, as I have Carolina making it to the final.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Jets are in deep trouble if they lose tonight. For all the talk of Georgiev sinking the Avs, Hellebuyck has been terrible. That 7-6 game is reminiscent of our game 1 against the Oilers. Got to step on the throats of your opponents in the playoffs

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Canadian franchises are always looking for shortcuts.

The Dallas model was just winning a draft lottery and then getting some homeruns on later picks. Pretty sure every team would love to do that.

Getting star players with a bunch of 2nd rounders is extremely hard to model your team after. Their top line of Hintz, Roberstron and Pavelski is 2 2nd rounders and an all time great vet in Pavelski. How the hell is that supposed to be a plan to build your team?

I think I know what Conroy is trying to say, keep your own picks and accumulate more which is obvious for anyone who has followed the successful teams. If you have a good scouting department, use it.

Reactions: Boomstick

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
All year Washington have sucked. And yet they've produced results.

I think the Rangers are the phoniest President's Trophy winners I can recall, so I thought there was decent upset potential there. Close games so far and they haven't played in Washington yet.

The impact on my bracket will be minor regardless, as I have Carolina making it to the final.
Caps 3 down

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
There's a glimmer of hope for my bracket now, with Dallas avoiding 0-3

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Yeah the Jets are finished. Maybe one day I'll see what everyone else sees in Hellebuyck cause I have never really seen a top goalie in him

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Hellebuyck I think is a good goalie, not a great one. He's just in era that doesn't even have a lot of good ones and maybe 1 or 2 great ones depending on the year.

Jets aren't losing the series because of him tho. Avs have 3 better skaters than anybody Winnipeg can put out there. Colorado doesn't have as good as team as they did in 2022 but they're big and they're fast and they're deep. If they can get through Dallas or Vegas I think they tapdance their way to another cup.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Hellebuyck I think is a good goalie, not a great one. He's just in era that doesn't even have a lot of good ones and maybe 1 or 2 great ones depending on the year.

Jets aren't losing the series because of him tho. Avs have 3 better skaters than anybody Winnipeg can put out there. Colorado doesn't have as good as team as they did in 2022 but they're big and they're fast and they're deep. If they can get through Dallas or Vegas I think they tapdance their way to another cup.

A gentle reminder that you can be as deep as you want; but if you have 2+ superstars on your team, other teams won't be able to keep up with depth alone sans superstars.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
As long as Makar is going off like he can and is, Colorado is pretty much unbeatable. He completely takes over games with his transition/skating and has that game breaking offense.

It's not even close how much better he is than every other d-man in the league. He's 10 times the player bumass Quinn Hughes is.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
As long as Makar is going off like he can and is, Colorado is pretty much unbeatable. He completely takes over games with his transition/skating and has that game breaking offense.

It's not even close how much better he is than every other d-man in the league. He's 10 times the player bumass Quinn Hughes is.
While we're dissing d-men, 20 times the player Adam Fox is.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Can’t see the Oilers having a real chance at being eliminated until the WCF, and I like Colorado against them all day. MacKinnon can be every bit as much of a game breaker as McDavid. Oilers D doesn’t even touch the Avs in a comparison.

Only thing that’s sketchy is Georgiev (give them Marky this summer).

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Man Hiller seems like a brutal coach to me. Kings got a better team than they are showing. Fiala on the 4th line??? Arvidsson is moving very well out there, should be on top line. You don’t beat the Oilers by sitting back. You need a blend of coming at their defence and managing the puck on your side of the red line. I wish they would max out their lines like this -

Kempe-Kopitar-Arvidsson
Byfield-Dubois-Fiala
Moore-Danault-Laferriere
Grundstrom-Lizotte-Lewis

Reactions: Dack

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Hate to say it about the Oilers, but realistically, the Kings never stood a chance regardless of their lines. Besides the NYR/WSH series, this has got to be the most lopsided in terms of difference between the two teams.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
LA just doesn’t know how to beat Edmonton. Cam Talbot never really gave them a chance either

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Man Hiller seems like a brutal coach to me. Kings got a better team than they are showing. Fiala on the 4th line??? Arvidsson is moving very well out there, should be on top line. You don’t beat the Oilers by sitting back. You need a blend of coming at their defence and managing the puck on your side of the red line. I wish they would max out their lines like this -

Kempe-Kopitar-Arvidsson
Byfield-Dubois-Fiala
Moore-Danault-Laferriere
Grundstrom-Lizotte-Lewis
Yup. Puzzling coaching decisions. Realistically the Oilers are the better team but stapling your best offensive player to Lizzote and Lewis is certainly taking it easy on them.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Monahan probably goes back to Montreal. I could see us circling back as well.

No playoff team will sign him for longer than a 1 year deal after this series

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad