Games you are currently playing: ROUND SIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I am currently playing Kerbal Space Program Career Mode.

I just successfully completely a lunar flyby mission loaded with science. Did a free return trajectory so only needed minor course corrections after my initial burn to get me home.

Rentry proved a bitch as finding the right window between burning into a fireball, or skipping back into space was hard.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Somebody needs to take Duel Links away from me. I'm way too cheap to spend any actual money on it, but the time sink....

Also finally taking a crack at Halo 5 thanks to Game Pass. I will say it does look very pretty on the One X.

plaaplaa72

Jul 29, 2011
Helsinki
Now that the Ratchet and Clank remake is on this month's PS Plus, i had to boot up my PS3 and play through the original trilogy for nostalgia.

Currently almost done with first game, and i have to say aiming is more annoying than i remembered.

Well atleast i can jump to the 2nd game soon, so i don't have to deal with it anymore.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Now that the Ratchet and Clank remake is on this month's PS Plus, i had to boot up my PS3 and play through the original trilogy for nostalgia.

Currently almost done with first game, and i have to say aiming is more annoying than i remembered.

Well atleast i can jump to the 2nd game soon, so i don't have to deal with it anymore.

I remember GC being such a revelation (even after loving the first) with its strafe-aiming and gun evolutions. God what a great ****ing game

plaaplaa72

Jul 29, 2011
Helsinki
I remember GC being such a revelation (even after loving the first) with its strafe-aiming and gun evolutions. God what a great ****ing game
Yeah, currently playing GC and it's so much more fun to play thanks to the strafe-aiming and the new weapons.

GC is easily my favourite RnC game.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Got my GPD XD last week and put just a few games on it for now.

Replaying Advance Wars. Love those games.

Also wanted to play an older JRPG to pass some time. Playing one that I only played a little bit of back in the day and never finished. People's favorite FF VI. Just for whatever reason did not go back to it at all. Loved loved IV though.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I've been playing Into the Breach (PC), from the creators of FTL. It's a little turn-based, grid-based strategy game that reminds me a bit of the original, 1994 X-COM crossed with Worms. Each "mission" consists of an 8x8 grid that you deploy your three mechs (which you customize with weapons, upgrades and pilots) to. Each mech can move a number of spaces and then use its weapon once. When your turn ends, the aliens get to do the same and attack either the buildings that you're supposed to protect or your mechs. You can see their upcoming attacks during your turn, though, so you can decide which to neutralize and how.

Each of your turns is like a little puzzle in which you have to use your moves and weapons very wisely, since there are usually more aliens than you have mechs and losing only a few buildings can result in defeat... and the game is a bit like a rogue-like in that losing a pilot means losing him forever and failing even one mission forces you to start the game over. The missions typically last only 5 minutes or so, though, and you could do a whole playthrough of the game in one night, if you wanted and if you can avoid failing any missions. The missions are randomly generated, so there's a lot of replayability.

Anyways, I'm really enjoying it. It's very simple, yet also quite complex and requires you to think. It's also a perfect little game to play in spurts, such as when you have only 10-30 minutes to play. I recommend it if you like turn-based strategy and/or puzzle games (and, especially, if you're fond of X-COM or Worms).

ss_3a670d203ac5c1ab538099e014978565740eb406.1920x1080.jpg

(Heh. It looks like I'm advertising the game, but that's what this forum engine produces when you simply paste a link to the game's Steam page.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Nizdizzle

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I've essentially only played three games the past couple months:

Breath of the Wild on the Switch
Civilization V on PC
FTL on the iPad

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I'm playing The Last of Us and I can't wait to post about it on here because the gameplay is catastrophically, arse-renderingly terrible and it's going to be such a cathartic experience to savage it.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
The last month I've been satisfying my PvP MMO itch by playing binging on a Warhammer: Age of Reckoning private server. It was pretty barebones a few years ago when I first tried it, but its pretty damn close to the live game now. Server is called Return of Reckoning if anyone else enjoyed WAR.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I'm playing The Last of Us and I can't wait to post about it on here because the gameplay is catastrophically, arse-renderingly terrible and it's going to be such a cathartic experience to savage it.
The New Game + file I was on glitched as I was playing it and now won't load at all, so this game is swiftly moving from "thing I won't overlook the flaws in when considering it as a whole" to "I am going to destroy this game for several thousand words and enjoy the tears of everyone who hates me for it" territory.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

Eh, will fall on deaf ears, tbh. If gameplay mattered around here all these GOTY polls would look a whole lot different.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Eh, will fall on deaf ears, tbh. If gameplay mattered around here all these GOTY polls would look a whole lot different.
Oh I know about the disconnect between gameplay and story, I'm probably more guilty about overlooking flaws or unoriginal mechanics in favour of a story than anyone, but this is literally unplayable. And the story isn't even that good.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

So many people loved that game. I hated the gameplay so much I had to stop playing.

I did watch the "movie" version of the game on YouTube. Really cool story line. Not worth playing in my mind.

I'm a firm believer in games needing a balance of the two.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
@Osprey: is there a campaign element to that game or is it battles only? IE, is there some sort of "management" piece? I like strategy games but I love when I have to manage the fighters, so to speak...

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
@Osprey: is there a campaign element to that game or is it battles only? IE, is there some sort of "management" piece? I like strategy games but I love when I have to manage the fighters, so to speak...

It's mostly battles, but there's a little bit of management. You can reconfigure and/or upgrade your mechs between battles, but it's usually not something that you do between every battle. You can also choose which territory to defend next (i.e. which battle to fight), based on the rewards for completing the objectives. Basically, those rewards can be two reputation points that you spend on upgrades, two defense points to replenish your damaged defenses or one point of each, so you have to weigh whether you want stronger mechs or the ability to sustain more building damage during battles. It's not much to manage, but it's a little bit.

Once you secure an entire island (after doing about 5 missions on that island), you can spend your accumulated reputation points on new weapons that are available or replenishing your defenses. Completing islands also gives you achievement points that, once you complete or fail a play through, you can spend to unlock a completely different set of mechs with very different abilities to start a new play through with. There are about 10 different sets of mechs, so you can replay the game 10 times and have a pretty different experience each time because the mechs are so different.

In other words, you might be disappointed if you like having lots of things to manage between every mission, like an X-COM game, but there is a little bit more to the strategy element than just the battles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bocephus86

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Thanks for the additional details @Osprey; I will take a hard look at it this weekend. $15 bucks isn't exactly gunna break the bank and it might be nice to have a game I can play for a few minutes here or there (Instead of most of my games, which are designed for multi-hour sessions and makes it so I can only play a couple days a week now).

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Thanks for the additional details @Osprey; I will take a hard look at it this weekend. $15 bucks isn't exactly gunna break the bank and it might be nice to have a game I can play for a few minutes here or there (Instead of most of my games, which are designed for multi-hour sessions and makes it so I can only play a couple days a week now).

You're welcome. It's definitely nice to have a game for quick sessions. At any one time, I'm usually playing one game that requires a lot of time (and that I won't even load up unless I have an hour or more) and one smaller game that I can play for 10-30 minutes at a time.

You've probably already thought of this, but watching YouTube videos of people playing the game would likely give you a good idea of how it plays and whether it's worth $15 to you. Ones with commentary might be better because each battle is a bit like chess, so hearing an explanation of why the person is making a certain move could help.

Reactions: Bocephus86

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
You're welcome. It's definitely nice to have a game for quick sessions. At any one time, I'm usually playing one game that requires a lot of time (and that I won't even load up unless I have an hour or more) and one smaller game that I can play for 10-30 minutes at a time.

You've probably already thought of this, but watching YouTube videos of people playing the game would likely give you a good idea of how it plays and whether it's worth $15 to you. Ones with commentary might be better because each battle is a bit like chess, so hearing an explanation of why the person is making a certain move could help.
Hahah - you'd think I'd be smart enough to google someone playing the game on Youtube so I can get a real idea of how it's played, but you do not know me... Good idea. I always forget that someone is posting their play throughs, somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad