Games you are currently playing - Part 7

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I thought Deathloop was fun, but the reviews it got at launch were crazy. I also thought they sold it on the puzzle of figuring out how to kill everyone within a day, but there's really no puzzle. You just follow the missions on the menu screen and then eventually the game tells you how to do it.

Haven't played Dishonored.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I thought Deathloop was fun, but the reviews it got at launch were crazy.
I saw an article just the other day with a title along the lines of "One of the best FPSes ever made is now 80% off." I clicked on it, expecting it to be a DOOM, Quake, Half-Life or other classic game. Nope, it was Deathloop. I haven't played it, but c'mon... one of the best ever, especially when it has only a 77% score on Steam (and 70% from recent reviews)?

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I saw an article just the other day with a title along the lines of "One of the best FPSes ever made is now 80% off." I clicked on it, expecting it to be a DOOM, Quake, Half-Life or other classic game. Nope, it was Deathloop. I haven't played it, but c'mon... one of the best ever, especially when it has only a 77% score on Steam (and 70% from recent reviews)?
I think IGN or some big publication gave it a perfect 10/10 :laugh:

70-77% seems about right. I think in the "Games you beat..." thread I gave it a 7. It's fun, but it's just another game.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I think IGN or some big publication gave it a perfect 10/10 :laugh:

70-77% seems about right. I think in the "Games you beat..." thread I gave it a 7. It's fun, but it's just another game.
IGN wasn't the only one. GameSpot, VGC, VG247, Guardian, and a few more places all gave it 10/10. I loved the game, though, so I get it, although I didn't give it a 10.

Reactions: pistolpete11

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
I loved the Dishonored games so I was super excited to try Deathloop and I was thoroughly disappointed. I was cautiously optimistic about Redfall but had no interest in paying much for it. Then I saw what an utter failure it was and just deleted it off my wishlist, I never plan on getting it. There are other games that I know were a bit of a disappointment that I'm still waiting to get really cheap like Rage 2 that I'd like to try but that's not going to be the case for Redfall for me.

I started playing Midnight Fight Express the other day. I got it out of a Humble Choice bundle. I am thoroughly entertained with this one! It's a very pleasant surprise. It has some flaws but playing it is a ton of fun.
The worst thing about Redfall is that it made most of the talent from the studio quit. We might never get quality games like the Dishonored ones or Prey thanks to that stinker pushing people away.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I thought Deathloop was fun, but the reviews it got at launch were crazy. I also thought they sold it on the puzzle of figuring out how to kill everyone within a day, but there's really no puzzle. You just follow the missions on the menu screen and then eventually the game tells you how to do it.

Haven't played Dishonored.
That was kind of the feeling I was getting. I like to take Arkane games slow and explore every option because they always had great level design. The level design was not very good in Deathloop IMO and I felt like I wasn't given any direction. I know as you play, the menu gives you more info but I had no interest in replaying the same missions over and over until the game tells you how to beat it because you didn't guess correctly or maybe you didn't find the one random report with a subtle clue on which order to go in.

Dishonored was great but I feel like you have to be a stealth fan to like it. The action is actually very in depth and can be played in very creative ways outside of stealth but it's also very punishing so you may get frustrated playing it as an action game early.

The worst thing about Redfall is that it made most of the talent from the studio quit. We might never get quality games like the Dishonored ones or Prey thanks to that stinker pushing people away.
Yeah, I heard that. I heard they might be going back to the Dishonored franchise after the failure of Redfall. It's definitely a game I'm going to wait for a sale to get rather than grabbing early like I would have done if the dev teams were the same.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Well there are different studios in different countries. Arkane Lyon is the one that made the Dishonored games, Deathloop, and now Blade. Arkane Austin made Redfall and Prey.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Well there are different studios in different countries. Arkane Lyon is the one that made the Dishonored games, Deathloop, and now Blade. Arkane Austin made Redfall and Prey.
I also mentionned Prey and 70% of the people that worked on that game have left. The studios also tend to work together so Lyon won't be unaffected by the big loss of talent.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
In all seriousness, I expected to hate it and don't. I'm really not a fan of long cinematic cutscenes, over-the-shoulder perspectives, linear gameplay, walking simulation, hand holding, uninterruptable animations and quick time events, and this game features all of them. On the other hand, it has pretty decent stealth and combat, satisfying looting, useful crafting, good graphics, strong characters and a compelling story. All of that has made up for a lot of what I don't like about it. In fact, I'm near the end, which is way further than I expected to get because I thought that, if I didn't get frustrated with it by now, I'd lose interest because I'm already familiar with how it goes from the TV show. I have to say, though, that it's one of the best stories that I've seen in a game and I think that I understand now why some people love it and were picky about how it was adapted. It's still not really my cup of tea, but I appreciate it better now, will certainly finish it and might even play Part II if it ever comes to PC.

Last edited:

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Started Detroit Become Human yesterday and man im really digging this game so far. Graphics are amazing, love that your decisions have large impacts on the story, the story so far is great. Game makes you feel for the characters like Kara and Alices story.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Started Detroit Become Human yesterday and man im really digging this game so far. Graphics are amazing, love that your decisions have large impacts on the story, the story so far is great. Game makes you feel for the characters like Kara and Alices story.
I enjoyed it, just like that team's other games. They get crap for being "interactive movies" and light on gameplay but so what? The characters, setting, etc make up for it. I believe they're making a Star Wars game in the same style next.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
I enjoyed it, just like that team's other games. They get crap for being "interactive movies" and light on gameplay but so what? The characters, setting, etc make up for it. I believe they're making a Star Wars game in the same style next.
I enjoy story rich games where decisions matter. Rather have a game like this then a game like Hogwarts Legacy where the dialogue and the decisions you make dont mean anything. May not be the best example but if you played it youd know what im talking about.

Reactions: Jovavic

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I enjoy story rich games where decisions matter. Rather have a game like this then a game like Hogwarts Legacy where the dialogue and the decisions you make dont mean anything. May not be the best example but if you played it youd know what im talking about.
For sure, I'm with you. Beyond: Two Souls is a good game too, not as good as Detroit but still solid.

I like how they have that branching flow chart for each scene in Detroit so you can go back easily and make different decisions and see their outcome. I'm not someone who needs to see everything in a game but I thought it was a nice feature for players that do.

Reactions: Sad People

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
For sure, I'm with you. Beyond: Two Souls is a good game too, not as good as Detroit but still solid.

I like how they have that branching flow chart for each scene in Detroit so you can go back easily and make different decisions and see their outcome. I'm not someone who needs to see everything in a game but I thought it was a nice feature for players that do.
The flow chart is really neat. Cool seeing the "global stats" portion of it.

Reactions: robertmac43

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I started this game at like 10pm on a random night at the start of the pandemic. Ended up playing until like 5AM lol....Amazing game.

• Haha
Reactions: Sad People

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Enshrouded on PC. Was hyped by some to be the next Valheim and it wasn't nearly as good.

Some great quality of life improvements compared to Valheim but it wasn't as satisfying to explore or very engaging. My group of friends completed the beta(?) or whatever release they're at right now in less than a week of casual play.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Banishers - Ghosts of New Eden

This game has near perfect scores in the Xbox and the PS store (you have to have purchased the game to rate it).

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I started Prodeus, definitely has some awesome old school Doom vibes. I don't remember the last time I played such a bloody game. The best is when you first get the chain gun, it's in a train and the train cars open up one by one for narrow hallways filled with week enemies. The screen just fills with blood and viscera.

Reactions: Osprey

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Dark Souls 1

It's janky, the graphics aren't good even in the remaster, not being able to swing half the weapons in tight corridors is frustrating, a shield kind of trivializes the standard enemies, classic vague FromSoft story style.....

....but I can see how it attracted a cult following, even if I wouldn't have been 1 of them if I played it back then. The level design in particular is outstanding. I like how they don't let you fast travel in the early game as well so it forces you to get to know the areas and how they are interconnected.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad