Proposal: Nichushkin...if contract termination isn't an option

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Being in the player assistance program is, by definition, not a breach of contract. They might have a case if he uses up all of the strikes in the program, but as it is now they will lose when he sues to get all of his money.
Getting suspended with no pay means hes breached the contract.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
For the Avs they need to know if they need to account for his cap hit at some point in 24/25 before Free Agency begins. So, NHL and Avs have 6 weeks or so to figure that out.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
The Richards situation was very different.

I know you're hoping hoping hoping but unless it's mutual, termination ain't happening.
Its not gonna be a standard buyout. But that argument is semantics if you call it a termination or buy out. It'll likely be a settlement between the two parties.

Richards was smuggling drugs across a border and LA got punished for attempting to terminate. They still have five more years of cap penalties after this year.
Last point is fair. I didnt realize richards still incurred a minor cap hit.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
No it doesn’t. The player assistance program he is in is an NHL/NHLPA sponsored benefit that is part of his contract.
No you're right, hes in stage 3 of the program. If he violates it again, hes placed in stage 4.

"After three violations, an entrant is placed in Stage 4, which carries a one-year suspension without pay and no guarantee of reinstatement".

Looking at it again, the Avs might have to just live with reinstatement and if it gets to stage 4, theres no need for contract termination, he might as well be banned.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I disagree wholeheartedly with the folks here who are suggesting there would be no interest around the league. Nichushkin is probably the best player to ever be in this situation. Kane was close with numbers, but Nuke is much better player than him. And I would even go as far as arguing that Kane was more toxic than Nuke is now, and Kane still got a contract. And Edmonton was not the only option.

Is it a risk at that contract? I would actually argue no. Because if he fails again, he's out from the league for good and at that point there is zero doubt that the team would be given relief on the cap hit. If he stays clean, it's a bargain of a contract.

As for the point of the thread itself, the value in the trade market. I don't think it's negative, but obviously because the Avs would be looking to unload him no team would probably be willing to pay anything that significant.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Richards was smuggling drugs across a border and LA got punished for attempting to terminate. They still have five more years of cap penalties after this year.
And they had something approaching a good argument, in that Richards had a chance of losing his visa. It was a low chance, but that at least would have kept him from being able to actually meet the terms of his contract.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Does his cap hit count while in the players assistance? If it doesn't count or he can be LTIR just keep him. Let him back into the playoffs and be over the cap.

Fulmination

Nov 1, 2019
Not how it works. Thr player assistance program is not meant to take accoutability away from the player. Hes already suspended without pay.

Tell that to Mike Richards. Buy outs are not used for situations like this because theres a material breach od contract. Theres gonna be a settement though.
Wasn’t Richard’s because he took drugs across the boarder?

Much bigger crime level than a user of a drug.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Because hes had success someone will take him, but the terms wont be favourable to Colorado.

Team like Edmonton could be a fit

They aren't going to trade him. Buyout or termination.

I'd bet on termination, no doubt the Avs lawyers' are a hell of a lot better at their jobs than all of the lawyers we have here on HF apparently.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
There is a collectively bargained process to discipline people in his situation - there's zero chance a contract termination holds up.

Looking it up - a buyout isn't crippling for the Avs. If they want out of it that's probably the way.
Has this changed since the Ryan Malone situation? Wasnt that a termination?

Edit: Nope, compliance buyout, thus no cap hit and my confusion.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
Because hes had success someone will take him, but the terms wont be favourable to Colorado.

Team like Edmonton could be a fit
I’d rather keep him than send him to Edmonton.

If he hits stage for he’s gonzo. So he gets clean(good for Colorado) or he messes up again and is banned.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
You think he can return to the team? Seemed like the other players wouldnt be very excited for that
No doubt that he’s worn out his welcome. Buyouts would be crippling to the team. No good answer here. If his past is any indication, it won’t be an issue cause he’ll go to stage 4. He’s a really good player. It’ll be interesting to follow this summer

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
per the Mike Richards situation…for those who need/want the info

The Kings terminated his contract in 2015 after Richards was arrested crossing the Canada/US border for possession of oxycodone, a controlled substance, without a prescription.
It was announced that the club had terminated Richards' contract, which had five years remaining, for "a material breach of his Standard Player's Contract." A grievance was filed by the NHLPA on behalf of Richards to contest the termination, to which the Kings announced a settlement with Richards, thus making him a free agent.

The Kings agreed to or were slapped with 5 years of recapture penalties and 17 years of termination fees.

IMG_8738.jpeg

I don’t think Richards was ever in the NHL Player Assistance program… which makes his case different from that of Nichushkin

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad