Post-Game Talk: GAME #9 - Canucks 3 @ Oilers 2 - Mancrush on Chris Manev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Tambelleni should have been replace a long long time ago.

I am somewhat suprised at the critisicm of Schroeder from some. I thought he was solid. Didn't make any outstanding plays but his speed was a problem for us all night as was Hansen's.

Not sure exactly when the transformation happened, but the Oilers have become a very slow team. Much bigger issue than size IMO. That's probably the biggest reason these games aren't as fun as they used to be. We simply can't keep pace with the Canucks. We need to replace some of our slugs like Petrell and Smyth with guys who can skate.

Good input. Yeah, I don't understand the Schroeder criticism either. It's nice to hear from an outside source on how he's doing. It would help if he was more dynamic with the puck in addition to his speed, but I'm hoping that will come as he gets more comfortable.

On the speed game: The biggest advantage the Canucks have his their Dmen. They are the engine to this team, allowing them to play the way they do. The solidification of the Ballard-Tanev pairing lets the team run three pairings that can all play the way the Canucks want them to play without a huge drop off, if at all. It really helps get things going out of the zone.

Last edited:

StringerBell

Needs crisper, faster passing, not less passing. Every time a point man gets the puck there's already someone closing on him in the shooting lane. Need to set up the one timers by making those passes count.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Vancouver is playing well enough to get into the playoffs, that's all that matters.

Luongo is playing some of his best hockey in years, right now. No slow start, no rust, just steady work with flashes of brilliance. No way the team can trade this guy.

The team is pretty solid (with two centers!). I wonder if Gillis can rent some old Canucks for a run?

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
You think he's a fan of hashtags?

:laugh: Young guy.

-------------------------------------

w00000000000000000t!

SO much nicer to come away with the OT win than go to another SO.

--Sedins: bloody useless until the OT goal. Okay, when Burr got shifted back to their line they started to come alive a bit, but you can't tell me Kassian was preventing them from making passes to each other.
--Kassian: quietest game this year. Still like him.
--Burr: earned his way back up.
--I wish Raymond would take the puck to the net more often, but it's nice to see him upright and skating.
--Schroeder continues to impress me. Great hustle, busts his ass in all zones, and unafraid of contact for a little guy. Should stay up.
--Did Lappy play? Would shift him to the wing once Kesler's back.
--Our coach finally realized Weise should be on the 4th line! Happy day!
--Hansen = beast. Love his energy.
--Higgins: as above, but less so.
--Manny: beast on the dot. Not noticing him was a good thing.
--Volpatti: noticed him. Not in a good way.
--Bieksa: classic bipolar game. Wanted to throttle him, then scores the equalizer. Casual Kev night. Major.
--Garrison: meh. Liked his physicality in the Dzone; little else.
--Hamhuis continues to get stronger and rediscover his game.
--Ballard...oi. His worst game this year, easily. Rediscovered the High Risk play.
--Tanev: YYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! Hell of a 1st goal, but like the guys who set him up for it, weak game up til then.
--Edler: meh.
--LUUUUUUU: still our goalie. This is his year. I can feel it.

Oh yeah, overall the team really played like **** most of the night. Zero precision. My biggest fear is that people upstairs see the win and think nothing needs to be done differently.

Also, PP sucks hardcore.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Great video. Nice to see some smiles out of him.

Not a particularly great game all around, but it's always entertaining to watch the team come from behind and win. I thought our young guys had another solid game - noteably Tanev and Schroeder, while Kassian was OK. Schroeder continues to get some good looks offensively that he will hopefully start converting on, but what will endear him to AV is his hustle (which resulted in Hansen's goal) and his responsible defensive play.

Henrik is looking really good over these last few games, but Daniel seems a couple of paces behind. Hopefully he gets there.

Man, Bieksa when he flicks the switch can be a dominant player. Seemed to sleep walk through most of the game tonight, but came to life after he scored. Nearly iced it in OT before Tanev's heroics, too.

Luongo shook off an unfortunate play on the 2nd Oilers' goal and had another strong outing. The look on his face after Hall's attempt was priceless.

I thought Lapierre looked miles better than he has of late, but Higgins still has a ways to go. Both Weise and Volpatti - solid foot soldiers to this point - had weak nights, IMO. Hansen had a terrific game, and Raymond was OK.

Overall, it was an ugly win, but the win is what counts. Still a lot of sloppy play going around, so hopefully they continue to get more in sync as time goes on.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I don't know why, but I just feel that when the Canucks get Booth and Kesler back from their injuries we're going to have more jump in our step. Just get points, get to the playoffs, welcome back Booth and Kesler, possibly welcome a new top six winger from trade and go ham like the Kings.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Great game by Hansen, Tanev, Luongo, Hamhuis and Schroeder.

Sedins still aren't there yet, even though they setup the winner, they were flat up until that point.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
you know what luongo hates? his team not wanting him anymore.

keenan dumps him and he puts on the greatest non-'94 goaltending clinic we've ever seen in this city.

AV goes with schneids in the playoffs and... i have high hopes that we keep him and he beasts all the way through the spring.

Scottrockztheworld*

you know what luongo hates? his team not wanting him anymore.

keenan dumps him and he puts on the greatest non-'94 goaltending clinic we've ever seen in this city.

AV goes with schneids in the playoffs and... i have high hopes that we keep him and he beasts all the way through the spring.

So do I.

I forget where I heard it (maybe Hockeycentral at Noon) but someone said he isn't playing for the Canucks he is playing for himself. He plays great, gets his value up & gets a trade in the works. The "doing it for himself" mentality is the exact same mentality Thomas had in the 2010/2011 Season in the same kind of situation & it worked out well. Luongo seems VERY motivated to prove his worth not only to the Canucks but to the GM's & media that think he doesn't have value.

yoss

May 25, 2011
What a great first goal from Tanev on the receiving end of some Sedinery and good battling along the boards by Ballard.

Higgins strong game today which was nice to see. He's good on the pk too, hopefully he continues improving. Great to see the comeback from 2-0. D still looks somewhat tentative in their own zone to me, too man sloppy dangerous passes that lead to prime scoring chances, Sedins guilty of a few of those too tonight.

That said, good win. Lou another strong game.

StringerBell

In spite of the somewhat sloppy play from the Sedins, they did seem to be matched up against the kid line for Edmonton tonight and held them pointless. Have to be happy about that aspect of their game at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad