Post-Game Talk: GAME #9 - Canucks 3 @ Oilers 2 - Mancrush on Chris Manev

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
I said it a few games a go but it is hilarious how all this trade attention is affecting peoples perspective on Luongo. People are acting like Luongo's play is out of the norm but this is what he's looked like nearly every regular season since he came here. Sure, he has a rep for being a slow starter but do outside fans think he is on the block because he is a poor goalie or something? It's like people are watching him play for the first time. The guy is an All-Star and one of the best regular season goalies to play the game, I've seen nothing out of the ordinary or surprising this season.

He certainly isn't being moved because he can't get it done in the regular season. He's being moved because we have a younger, cheaper option who is ready to be starter and get his chance at the post season.

Perhaps it's a reaction to the circumstances that he's under but let's remember that he is under zero pressure right now, it's not a surprise that he's relaxed and playing well and I'm happy for it. I like Luongo, I'm happy to see him do well and his is making Gillis' job of moving him considerably easier.

HighAndTight

Ready To Be Hurt Again
Jan 12, 2008
Victoria, BC
^ Exactly. I've been saying this since it started. If Gillis thinks Luongo and Schneider are of equal talent level, you keep the younger cheaper goalie.

It literally has nothing to do with Luongo's quality of play.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
^ Exactly. I've been saying this since it started. If Gillis thinks Luongo and Schneider are of equal talent level, you keep the younger cheaper goalie.

It literally has nothing to do with Luongo's quality of play.

Or do you move the one with higher trade value? I think I've figured out why Gillis always looks like he hasn't slept in a month.

HighAndTight

Ready To Be Hurt Again
Jan 12, 2008
Victoria, BC
Or do you move the one with higher trade value? I think I've figured out why Gillis always looks like he hasn't slept in a month.

Well it depends on the return I suppose.

Higher value is arguable. Is Luongo the higher value as he as way more experience and a much better track record, but age and contract hinder him.
Or is Schneider the higher value as he has a small contract and is young, but might not be as good as Luongo...

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
A few comments:
1. What's with the horse head fan in Edmonton. That seemed so random! :)
2. On the powerplay, I don't understand why there hasn't been more of an effort to get the shot for Garrison. The guy scored 8 of his 16 goals on the powerplay last year, IIRC. Simplify things and set him up once in a while. They're playing too much around the perimeter right now.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I've seen a couple criticisms of Schroeder's play and frankly that surprises me. From my seat he's been pretty great early this season, especially considering most of our other centres (Henrik included) took the first few games off. Thought he had another solid night at both ends of the ice, and his assist was all hard work down low (something we've been worried he wouldn't be able to handle at this level). In fact, Schroeder's play along the boards has really impressed me generally considering his size. He needs to settle down around the net, but I think that will come with time. He's pretty much where Hodgson was to start the season last year.

We definitely need to look at other ways to use our players on the PP. I don't think we're utilizing the fact we have two bombs from the point (Edler/Garrison) very well. Maybe move those two guys off the top unit and make it more of a puck-moving group, and have the second unit become more of a shoot-first group focused on getting Edler/Garrison opportunities from the point? I dunno ... something needs to be done.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
8cckSVN.png

No, I did not edit that. Go to Canucks.com to see it :laugh:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I've seen a couple criticisms of Schroeder's play and frankly that surprises me. From my seat he's been pretty great early this season, especially considering most of our other centres (Henrik included) took the first few games off. Thought he had another solid night at both ends of the ice, and his assist was all hard work down low (something we've been worried he wouldn't be able to handle at this level). In fact, Schroeder's play along the boards has really impressed me generally considering his size. He needs to settle down around the net, but I think that will come with time. He's pretty much where Hodgson was to start the season last year.

The criticism of Schroeder is that he is just "solid", while people expect him to be better than solid offensively. It's all about the offense. He kind of needs to get better there, I'll admit, but right now it's just about sticking. Later on, the pressure to put points up will increase. That's when we'll know what we have in the here and now.

As a rookie skater, he's doing just fine to my eye. Just need a little bit more on offense.

We definitely need to look at other ways to use our players on the PP. I don't think we're utilizing the fact we have two bombs from the point (Edler/Garrison) very well. Maybe move those two guys off the top unit and make it more of a puck-moving group, and have the second unit become more of a shoot-first group focused on getting Edler/Garrison opportunities from the point? I dunno ... something needs to be done.

Here's what I propose: Umbrella formation with only 1 Dman at the point. Kind of like what the Ducks did with Pronger. Edler on the 1st unit, Garrison on the 2nd.

Fact is, this team is missing a PP QB still. So I propose they run with 4 forwards on each unit, when everyone's healthy. Might as well get more offensive thinkers out there. Kesler replaces Hamhuis on the 1st PP unit. Somebody else replaces Bieksa on the second unit. Put opposite handed shooters at each wall. One net presence, and one rover behind the net (Henrik on the 1st unit PP).

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Kesler-Edler

Booth-Schroeder-Burrows
Raymond-Garrison

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
It's the same old Luongo, the only thing that has changed is what lense the media wants to look at Lu's play through. Luongo lets in the same goals last year at the ten game mark and the narrative is, "What is wrong with Luongo? He got scored on!"

The Sedins are just playing at too slow a pace right now. Hopefully they just have lockout legs and some more game time will sort that out. They've always been best when they try and push their pace and threaten to beat players one one one, then their vision and passing can really take over. When they are just floating around the offensive zone looking to make a stunning pass defenders never over commit so it's hard to find anyone that's really open in a dangerous spot.

Lastly, what a great start to the year for Ballard and Tanev. Ballard seems to be the most comfortable in his own end as I have seen him since he arrived in Vancouver. Tanev with the great winner. You could always tell there's more offense to him then he's shown so far. He shows his hands, poise and skating in the defensive zone a lot but always seems reluctant to jump into the play on the offensive side of things. Hopefully with some confidence he'll start to develop into someone we can use on the PP as well.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
The criticism of Schroeder is that he is just "solid", while people expect him to be better than solid offensively. It's all about the offense. He kind of needs to get better there, I'll admit, but right now it's just about sticking. Later on, the pressure to put points up will increase. That's when we'll know what we have in the here and now.

As a rookie skater, he's doing just fine to my eye. Just need a little bit more on offense.

I think assuming Schroeder is going to come out of the gate with offensive guns blazing early in his rookie season is setting him up for failure. I've seen the idea floated a few times, but I think he's a player who has been in this organization long enough to realize how to work his way to where he wants to be. He seems to recognize how to stick in the line-up for now, and I agree he'll take more chances as he solidifies himself.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I know he can't shoot, but I always find myself wishing they'd give Ballard a shot on PP2, given how much the team struggles to actually enter the zone most of the time. When he decides he wants to, the dude can just waltz the puck in. If they actually designed plays based around that, like a guy going to the net to get the rebound off his inevitably saved wrister, they could get something going.

Yeah, they need to utilize his puck-rushing somehow and design some plays around it. It would only be for the good of the team. Ballard seems to have bought into the 'breakout pass to the forwards' only scheme Bowness wants from the D but I think it'd be so much better if they could find a way to take advantage of his ability. That unpredictability would be welcome on a PP that looks like it's gone stale.

Perhaps - just like how AV has Malhotra get off the ice for another forward after he wins a D-zone faceoff and it's cleared - they can have Ballard skate it in and switch once we gain possession? :dunno:

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Yeah, they need to utilize his puck-rushing somehow and design some plays around it. It would only be for the good of the team. Ballard seems to have bought into the 'breakout pass to the forwards' only scheme Bowness wants from the D but I think it'd be so much better if they could find a way to take advantage of his ability. That unpredictability would be welcome on a PP that looks like it's gone stale.

Perhaps - just like how AV has Malhotra get off the ice for another forward after he wins a D-zone faceoff and it's cleared - they can have Ballard skate it in and switch once we gain possession? :dunno:

Lol that's actually an intriguing idea, especially in the second period.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009

But then again, Gillis always looks like he hasn't slept in a month. :laugh:

A few comments:
1. What's with the horse head fan in Edmonton. That seemed so random! :)
443x513xhorselounge.jpg.pagespeed.ic.uvxw-Z-ujC.jpg

"Random, you say? I think not!"

That meme... the internets and real life are blurring together. :confused:

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
Here's what I propose: Umbrella formation with only 1 Dman at the point. Kind of like what the Ducks did with Pronger. Edler on the 1st unit, Garrison on the 2nd.

Fact is, this team is missing a PP QB still. So I propose they run with 4 forwards on each unit, when everyone's healthy. Might as well get more offensive thinkers out there. Kesler replaces Hamhuis on the 1st PP unit. Somebody else replaces Bieksa on the second unit. Put opposite handed shooters at each wall. One net presence, and one rover behind the net (Henrik on the 1st unit PP).

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Kesler-Edler

Booth-Schroeder-Burrows
Raymond-Garrison

Absolutely agree with the 1st unit. Having Bieksa or Raymond back there on the 2PP really illustrates the lack of another good right shot we could put on the point.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
So funny right? Such a case study in ignorance.

Hey....I prefaced that with ignorance is bliss. :laugh:

I called it a bounce back year because Schneider kinda took over the reigns a bit last year. But I don't want to turn this into another Luongo thread.

He's played outstanding hockey so far this year, considering the goalie situation you guys are lucky to have.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Hey....I prefaced that with ignorance is bliss. :laugh:

I called it a bounce back year because Schneider kinda took over the reigns a bit last year. But I don't want to turn this into another Luongo thread.

He's played outstanding hockey so far this year, considering the goalie situation you guys are lucky to have.

I think there is a miconception about Luongo though. He's always been an incredibly strong regular season goalie (excluding his slow starts that correlate with the teams' slow starts). Druing the playoffs we were leaning towards Schneider for two reasons.

1) the most important one- The team was struggling and AV needed a change (lines were shuffled as well) and the team was playing better in front of Cory. We did also get back Daniel which was a hits moral boost as well.
2) Luongo doesn't have the most impressive playoff record

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad