pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
yeah i thought garrison looked better as the game went along

he still looks slow as **** though

John McClane

Apr 23, 2012
Calgary, AB
Strombone ‏@strombone1
I had no clue bud! “@taj1944: Looking at the penalty shot. Looks like Lui had the scouting report on Hall.”

Outside99*

OT Win >>>> Shootout win.

Great to see tanev get his first goal.

If there's no market for Luongo's services, its because teams are set in goal or its the contract because his play to start the season has been nothing short of stellar.

Nothing against Kassian who has exceeded expectations but when Burr is out there with Henrik and Daniel, its night and day, its like there's 4 forwards on the ice. Burr's chases pucks down better than anyone, is well positioned and keeps the play alive. Timing is part of it, but no Burr is the other elephant in the room of the Sedins' slow start. Reuniting them was the turning point in this game.

- terrific game for Hansen once again, this guy must be so hard to play against.

- Higgins and Lapierre are both playing a lot better.

- I thought Schroeder had a rough game. More than once behind the play defensively. Reminds me more and more of Wellwood.

- Didn't notice Kassian or Raymond much, or the 4th line for that matter except Volpatti who flubbed the puck numerous times. Usual game for Malhotra of fluctuating between serviceable and passing by.

- I thought our top 4 didn't give up much against a talented team.

- Ballard and Tanev struggled tonight (Tanev esp. was falling all over the place) though they certainly redeemed themselves (nice play by Ballard to keep the puck in on Tanev's goal).

Gotta give AV (looks like he has a cold) credit for calling a good game and a good stretch.

Outside99*

The bank shot by Hansen and half screened slapper from the blueline by Bieksa? Didn't see Schroeder's offensive instincts, creativity or ability to make plays shine through on either play...

What I did see though is him missing 2 feet wide on a glorious set up. That's ashot you need to hit the net with.

Can you recall a play tonight where Schroeder attacked with the puck and looked dangerous or created a scoring chance?

the puck was on its end, a little more difficult to control.

metric

May 6, 2010
5-2-2 start to the season yet no one will say we've played well. I'll take it.

It's too bad 4 of those 5 wins resulted in western opposition also getting a point.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
A few have mentioned Burke :laugh:

Good guy to put them over the top, actually. Maybe not the guy to build a team from scratch but he knows how to get the pieces to complete one. Don't like him or the way he acts, but he's a pretty good GM compared to like 20 other guys that still have jobs.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
That's nuts IMO. They have the talent to contend now, they just need a better supporting cast. IMO, if Tamby can't get them into a top 10 finish this year he needs to be replaced.

Well, at least a playoff appearance.

A come back win, a game saving save to bail out Sedin and an overtime goal by kid who subsequently also scores his first NHL goal.

This is a game that helps bonds a team even tighter. I think they build off this.

Holy **** the locker room reaction LOLOL

Exactly.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Good guy to put them over the top, actually. Maybe not the guy to build a team from scratch but he knows how to get the pieces to complete one. Don't like him or the way he acts, but he's a pretty good GM compared to like 20 other guys that still have jobs.

Burke isn't very strong in free agency or at the draft but his trade history is excellent. Considering amount of trade chips the Oilers have, how few players would sign there in free agency and the fact they don't need to draft very well over the next few years to find success I think Burke would be the perfect fit in Edmonton.

Is Kevin lowe going to hire him? :laugh:

Nov 1, 2011
The Oilers are the worst defensive team he will play. He needs to look dangerous against a team like this, because he will be in very tough against the big, strong defensive clubs in the West.

He's a rookie, so I'm not expecting him to set the world on fire. I just didn't see his offensive game tonight as impressive. It was pretty lacklustre IMO.

Schroeder needs to generate and produce more offense to stay in the lineup every night. He's had some positive moments but still looks like a very marginal NHL player at this point.

I don't know, he got a primary assist winning a board battle on our first goal (Hansen) and was in front tying up the guy who would cover Bieksa on the 2nd goal.

He might not have amazed with his puck wizardry but Schroeder definitely contributed to both regulation goals we scored tonight.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
With Kevin Lowe as his boss? Talk about a "shotgun wedding".:laugh:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Team that deserved to win, won. Fantastic to see Tanev stick it top corner. You can see how well he is liked by his team mates. Good to see defense produce offense because right now the team is going to need offense from somewhere. Timing for many players just not there

The Good

Hansen - workhorse who seems to have even got faster. Great two way game. Just hope Jensen has got this kind of speed.

Raymond - playing very well. Producing chances all the time and showing great speed in moving the puck from his territory. Play along the boards this year is greatly improved. Seems much stronger.

Hamhuis - far and away the best player. His mobility is simply outstanding. Worked his butt off in his own zone to mop up for the mistake of others

Edler - much better effort. One on one play was very good

Luongo - not his best effort but at crucial moments he was huge

Schroeder - some errant passes and still not converting chances but really working every zone. Needs to settle himself a little more with the puck in scoring positions. Given his workload, Schroeder is playing very well

Ballard - not without mistakes but overall a real positive for this team. Keeps this up and the Canucks are going to looking elsewhere for a buyout

Not so good

Garrison - continues to react to situations slowly. Gets caught too flat-footed too much. Needs to get some flow in his play. Plays in short bursts. Also needs to show more poise with the puck rather than whipping it around. Got to give him time to work with his teammates and you hope it comes. Also lack of pre-season to work with the team and lack of training time because of injury has to be factored in here.

D. Sedin - thought Henrik was better but Daniel showing little strength on the puck and making too many weak passes. Effort is there but little execution.

Other thoughts

PP is getting better but a long way from good

Kassian showed some of the reasons why some see inconsistency. Gets out of team concept and starts coasting around making dangerous passes. Seems to do things way too quickly at times and then at other times tries to slow down the game. Game pacing and knowing where and when to use speed still needs to be worked on. This is where the patience factor becomes important. Kassian is still a young player and stills needs a lot of coaching up. However, the upside here is huge

Did not think this was one of Tanev's best games however you could see him coming off the bench in OT with real determination. Often seems to hold back on the offense but sure didn't in the OT

Edmonton really hasn't changed much from last season - still playing the 6 man goalie system. Really makes for crappy hockey

I generally agree with this assessment. Especially the part about Ballard, I liked his game tonight. But I didn't like Raymond's decision making throughout this game. Just not a smart player in the offensive zone.

Garrison seemed ok to me too, but just a bit jumpy still. Like you said, reactions are just jittery, needs to show more poise. Then again, Bieksa has been terrible early.

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
I thought Garrison actually had a pretty decent game. Good play along the boards, did a decent job of covering for Bieksa who was downright awful. One of his better outings in my opinion.

That's where I've been most impressed with Garrison. You definitely notice his size and presence behind the net. He's definitely one of our more physical defenders in our own zone.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
That's nuts IMO. They have the talent to contend now, they just need a better supporting cast. IMO, if Tamby can't get them into a top 10 finish this year he needs to be replaced.

Tambelleni should have been replace a long long time ago.

I am somewhat suprised at the critisicm of Schroeder from some. I thought he was solid. Didn't make any outstanding plays but his speed was a problem for us all night as was Hansen's.

Not sure exactly when the transformation happened, but the Oilers have become a very slow team. Much bigger issue than size IMO. That's probably the biggest reason these games aren't as fun as they used to be. We simply can't keep pace with the Canucks. We need to replace some of our slugs like Petrell and Smyth with guys who can skate.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
That's where I've been most impressed with Garrison. You definitely notice his size and presence behind the net. He's definitely one of our more physical defenders in our own zone.

He def. needs to work on his foot work though (or flow as someone put it). Sometimes our guys are flying out of the zone and Garrison is still not in full stride. When defending 1-on-1 he seems to pivot very slowly. If that keeps up he'll be on the wrong side of a couple of highlight reels.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
OT Win >>>> Shootout win.

Great to see tanev get his first goal.

If there's no market for Luongo's services, its because teams are set in goal or its the contract because his play to start the season has been nothing short of stellar.

Nothing against Kassian who has exceeded expectations but when Burr is out there with Henrik and Daniel, its night and day, its like there's 4 forwards on the ice. Burr's chases pucks down better than anyone, is well positioned and keeps the play alive. Timing is part of it, but no Burr is the other elephant in the room of the Sedins' slow start. Reuniting them was the turning point in this game.

- terrific game for Hansen once again, this guy must be so hard to play against.

- Higgins and Lapierre are both playing a lot better.

- I thought Schroeder had a rough game. More than once behind the play defensively. Reminds me more and more of Wellwood.

- Didn't notice Kassian or Raymond much, or the 4th line for that matter except Volpatti who flubbed the puck numerous times. Usual game for Malhotra of fluctuating between serviceable and passing by.

- I thought our top 4 didn't give up much against a talented team.

- Ballard and Tanev struggled tonight (Tanev esp. was falling all over the place) though they certainly redeemed themselves (nice play by Ballard to keep the puck in on Tanev's goal).

Gotta give AV (looks like he has a cold) credit for calling a good game and a good stretch.

Good points and post.
Schroeder wasn't at his best, but I wouldn't consider it necessarily a rough game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad