GDT: Game 79: Red Wings at penguins 7:00 pm et 4/11/24 (BSD, ESPN+)

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Larkin, Raymond, Debrincat, Seider, Chiarot, I could go on -- just about everyone but Kane (that's just not how he rolls) played this game like it might be their last. Not sure how you didn't see that. They were just out-lucked, out-reffed, and out-skilled, but not outworked.
in terms of "gave it their all" I was more so talking about down the stretch, rather than this particular game.

I agree that this game, most players played their asses off, and I agree with your assessment of Kane, he was floating which is hard to understand.

It really is frustrating that they played 2 good games against Washington and Pittsburgh, and have nothing (I guess the loser point tonight) to show for it. Those Arizona games where we got outscored 8-1 are gonna haunt me all summer long. If we beat the f******* Coyotes in those games, were a playoff team.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Jimmy Howard was a lot better goalie than you have interest in giving him credit for. They f***ed up both him and Mrazek with the oopsy-doo they did with both following Howard's injury. Jimmy was a .920 goalie for three whole seasons with the early 2010s Wings.
Jimmy Howard and his annual "oops my groin exploded" almost every spring in the 2010s.

Guy had more pulled groins than a whorehouse during Mardi Gras.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Sorry, I wouldn't say they played well this game. There just all over the place. No puck support. Standing around watching. A step behind everything. The times it clocked offensively, we cashed in, which is good. But so disjointed otherwise.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Honestly, I'd rather see most of the vets unsigned/bought out and then replaced with kids next season even if it guarantees we miss the playoffs.

The fact Kasper has not played a single game in the NHL this season tells me Yzerman has no intent to play him in the NHL next season. I expect that Danielson will leapfrog him and play in the NHL from game one as he is already used to NA rink sizes and plays a more complete "center" game.
I'm of the same mindset. They didn't play any young players this season who weren't already a regular last season. And they missed the playoffs again. All this season accomplished was provide playing time for washed up vets.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
Like clockwork our fans have convinced themselves we were never supposed to be here in the first place, and the humongous late season collapse is justified. It will be more same as it ever was next year, with bad vets on bad contracts, same shitty coaching, and prospects being not utilized. I mean edvinsson has been easily a top 4 defender to end this season for us, and we kept him in the minors all year LOL. 8 years of no playoffs and counting. And any of us with valid criticism of yzerman that are obviously now showing themselves as legit will just get drowned out by everyone else. It’s a cycle at this point.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Next year we’ll be whining that we fell into a wildcard spot in the last few games of the season. It’s a step forward but it will sting obviously. Big picture. We’re alright
Are we? We’re not going to have that much room after Seider/Raymond extensions.

No solution to the goalie problems
None of the kids are ready to make a big difference

The only big trade Yzerman has made was to get a player who was coming to here anyways, and has sucked for half the season

Kane likely gone

They may be good eventually, but I really doubt that is next season

Reactions: DamonDRW

WFIAA

Aug 2, 2016
Lyon with a rough outing, but not a very good OT second line to ice either. I’ve said it countless times, coaching is an issue for this team. Roster management and the ability to make changes in game is not something that seems to come natural to Lalonde. Hopefully he can make adjustments moving forward into the next season. Otherwise just bring in a real coach already. This team has been lacking one since that mean old dude left for Toronto a few years back….
Why wait to see if Lalonde can be competent? I’m done with him, move on. He’s shown nothing that impressed me.

Last edited:

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Not over yet, but in a weak conference with Larkin in his prime and having signed a bunch of vets plus traded for DBC, not making the playoffs would absolutely be a failure.
It's not a weak conference though. The top teams in our division are stacked.

Larkin's prime? He's basically a PPG player at his peak. His prime isn't much compared to the numbers other guys are putting up these days. We overrate Larkin too much because he's so much better than our other centers.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
Pens fan coming in peace. Wings outworked the Pens all night. Y'all just suffered from some brutal luck: some soft goals, a non-call on one Pens goal, 2 posts, a missed chance in OT...

Larkin & Raymond were beasts out there.
Yeah. That first one wasn't a goal. The no call on the trip that gave them the third goal was nonsense.

But it was absolutely inexcusable for Lyon to give up the unscreened circle shot to Letang and then almost the exact same goal on the PK to Jeff f***ing Carter. Like the bad reffing was so f***ed... but Lyon didn't give them a chance to win. If Nedeljkovic didn't blow too... it would have been a blowout.

Jimmy Howard and his annual "oops my groin exploded" almost every spring in the 2010s.

Guy had more pulled groins than a whorehouse during Mardi Gras.

Caused almost entirely by the Wings completely f***ing up the relationship between them because Howard went down with his first and then Mrazek had a really good second half in 2014. Howard got someone in his ear saying to rush back because he was losing his spot to Mrazek.

His groin kept exploding because 1) the Wings played goalie yo-yo with him and Mrazek so he never felt he could take the time to let it heal and 2)... well, you saw how doughy he started getting. Time on the shelf led to laziness and all of a sudden he was in his early 30s.

And Mrazek never felt they supported him because they kept Jimmy around. They tried middle-roading it, and they screwed up both guys. Honestly, I'd have dealt Mrazek pretty early on because I hated how he played (so so so so damn aggressive. He'd have an incredible 15 save on Ovechkin night in a 1-0 win because Ovy isn't going to change his plan to a 6 goal blowout on simple cross-crease passes where he was so out of position that I could have scored the goal.)

WFIAA

Aug 2, 2016
And Lalonde again did not take a timeout.. why not take it before the o-zone faceoff with 1 minute to go in regulation? And if it's only to give Larks a breather, maybe it wins the game,,
Lalonde was playing for OT. He had no intention of winning in regulation. One of many reasons I want him gone, zero concept of the the league.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

WFIAA

Aug 2, 2016
Oh well, we weren't supposed to be here, nobody had us in the playoffs, if you'd have said we'd be fighting for a spot like this late in the year we'd have taken it, we may not be in a playoff chase next year because our division is so good, etc.
Dude, I was so pissed when I heard that…. He has to be gone after the season.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Lose to Toronto, beat Montreal the last two games of the season, draft 16OA in a crap draft.

Worst possible outcome. You won't even be able to trade the pick as the dropoff in quality after like the top 8 picks is precipitous.

Reactions: DamonDRW

DanielMarois

May 25, 2013
It's not a weak conference though. The top teams in our division are stacked.

Larkin's prime? He's basically a PPG player at his peak. His prime isn't much compared to the numbers other guys are putting up these days. We overrate Larkin too much because he's so much better than our other centers.
The division also has Buf,OTT, and MTL...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad