GDT: Game 79: Red Wings at penguins 7:00 pm et 4/11/24 (BSD, ESPN+)

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Guys im not saying the first goal should have been goaltender interference. But why was it not?

Was it deemed that the whacking on Lyon and standing in the crease did not have an effect on the puck going in? I don't understand the rule.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
gentleman's agreement!

If you do not watch tonight and they win, then you are forced to not watch another regular season game until they lose.

I will watch the game on replay and if they lose, I will not watch another regular season game until they win.

We have to keep the vibes the same if it is the proper outcome. If we don't do it, then what the hell are we even doing here then? Deal?
Whether we continue to adhere to this or not, I'm glad I didn't watch that garbage. Kudos to Raymond for trying to put the team on his back, but in a game of this importance, 6 goals on 27 shots is a downright inexcusable team performance.

PIT is playing like they should.
DET is playing like they still don't have an identity.

OneMoreTry

Sep 26, 2021
Guys im not saying the first goal should have been goaltender interference. But why was it not?

Was it deemed that the whacking on Lyon and standing in the crease did not have an effect on the puck going in? I don't understand the rule.

When the Wings are involved, the alternate rule goes as follows:

„It doesn’t matter what happened, because the puck would’ve gone in anyway, because they suck“

:eyeroll:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I think it's safe to assume we'll be exactly where we are this time next season if Lalonde remains our head coach...I honestly don't see any improvement regarding the roster.
You lack vision.

I mean edvinsson has been easily a top 4 defender to end this season for us, and we kept him in the minors all year LOL.
Sometimes when you bring up a player and they look good it means you made the right decisions with their development and brought them up when they were ready.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Lalonde doesn’t even play one of his top 4 d-man. How Walman is still scratched is mind blowing. If you don’t want to scratch Petry your toy pet then go 11-7 you are playing Czarnik and ZAR. Coaching us horrible and Lyon was a joke last night

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
In the NHL, coaches get canned on a regular basis, I don't see any reason Lalonde is expected to get a third season.

I wasn't impressed last year but was willing to see it out. This season, I've gone from questioning to hating. His comments about expectations in the past few weeks and as of yesterday (I believe) that there are no expectations of playoffs next season....he's out.
For him to be canned means the GM thinks he could have done more with the roster. I don’t think that will be the case yet. I think he’s on a short leash to start the next season.

People tend to forget this is still a rebuilding team. This team was never supposed to win the cup this year. It’s about player development and growth for some of the younger guys. Raymond, Seider and now Ed have looked great and improved significantly. Rasmussen too can be added to that list….

Again I’m not disagreeing with you on how he should be the coach of the red wings. I was one of the first to start questioning his ways since the day he was hired, but there are processes that every teams follow in this league. I don’t think the wings are there yet where they fire their coach

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
Lalonde doesn’t even play one of his top 4 d-man. How Walman is still scratched is mind blowing. If you don’t want to scratch Petry your toy pet then go 11-7 you are playing Czarnik and ZAR. Coaching us horrible and Lyon was a joke last night

When the vets Lalonde loves so much continue to not get it done, you shouldn't have any other choice but bet on the upside of your young talent. If you miss the playoffs because your young players can't get it done, that's one thing. But betting on the players you KNOW aren't good enough, should get you canned.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
For him to be canned means the GM thinks he could have done more with the roster. I don’t think that will be the case yet. I think he’s on a short leash to start the next season.

People tend to forget this is still a rebuilding team. This team was never supposed to win the cup this year. It’s about player development and growth for some of the younger guys. Raymond, Seider and now Ed have looked great and improved significantly. Rasmussen too can be added to that list….

Again I’m not disagreeing with you on how he should be the coach of the red wings. I was one of the first to start questioning his ways since the day he was hired, but there are processes that every teams follow in this league. I don’t think the wings are there yet where they fire their coach
I agree that doing any damage in the playoffs was never an expectation for this season. But:

1) Making the playoffs should have been, if only after the January streak. Expectations can and should change.

2) I don't see this system being successful long term. So if it's not a strategy with expectations of making the playoffs, and it's not a strategy that will eventually be highly successful...why are they bothering to use it at all?

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Big time free pass for the coach to squash away what he had in walking into March.

Red Wings were four points behind Toronto, 2 points ahead of the Lighthing... They have 72 points total... In almost six weeks, they've added a whooping 13 points... in about 19 or 20 games... Epic, collapse. At best they won 6 games and tied 1 in 20 games or so.

His comments about being happy to be where they are is such loser talk I can't even stand it. Losers, don't expect to win. Losers are happy to just compete and not win. He shouldn't be happy at all because the truth is in the last 6 weeks the Red Wings terrible play has let everyone back in this race that they prolyl never belonged in.

You'll be doomed before the season even starts if Lalonde comes back.

Last edited:

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"

Wallman isn't playing for the same reason Sprong hasn't been playing, he sucks at defense.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Big time free pass for the coach to squash away what he had in walking into March.

Red Wings were four points behind Toronto, 2 points ahead of the Lighthing... They have 72 points total... In almost six weeks, they've added a whooping 13 points... in about 19 or 20 games... Epic, collapse. At best they won 6 games and tied 1 in 20 games or so.

His comments about being happy to be where they are is such loser talk I can't even stand it. Losers, don't expect to win. Losers are happy to just compete and not win. He shouldn't be happy at all because the truth is in the last 6 weeks the Red Wings terrible play has let everyone back in this race that they prolyl never belonged in.

Yeah, it honestly seems like he's cool with losing. He does bring such a "lets go out there and have fun guys! Who cares about the score, just be happy to be here" mentality. Like how many times in post-game pressers has he said things like "ah this team isnt good enough anyways, we are over-achieving and happy to be in the race"

Lalonde would be the perfect assistant coach, but he just doesnt have it in him to be an NHL head coach. Like he seems like such a nice man, and I say this sincerely. He's just such a nice guy, and unfortunately he's "too nice" to be a head coach in the NHL.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
You're not wrong, but Yzerman is the reason guys like Aston-Reese and Czarnik are currently on the roster over younger talent, not Lalonde.

Pretty ridiculous that Kasper isnt even gonna get a single game this season, neither will Johansson or Mazur. Also ridiculous that it took Yzerman this long to promote Edvinsson to the NHL, when many of us "nobodies" on HFboards were stressing since October that he was more than ready.

I dunno, next season we NEED to have kids all over the roster and start the youth movement. This season should have been the start of that, and now if(when) we miss the playoffs, this year looks like a complete throw-away season (minus massive steps from Raymond towards being a surefire first liner in the NHL).

Reactions: Realgud

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Wallman isn't playing for the same reason Sprong hasn't been playing, he sucks at defense.
Maybe a small part of that thinking comes from him literally having the toughest matchups in the entire league alongside Mo. doesn’t mean he should be scratched. He is mobile, can actually skate with other teams good players, and makes actual plays unlike some D on this team

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Maybe a small part of that thinking comes from him literally having the toughest matchups in the entire league alongside Mo. doesn’t mean he should be scratched. He is mobile, can actually skate with other teams good players, and makes actual plays unlike some D on this team

No, Wallman with Mo is him punching way above his weight class. Wallman is simply not good enough to be on a top pairing, and when he plays without Mo, he becomes redundant with Ghostisbehere in the lineup. The one game the two were paired together last week was an absolute disaster.

Reactions: sureWhyNot

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
Yeah, surprise moment with Cossa would have been a nice tool.

All the current goalies are out-scouted.
Yep, he might had a Ken Dryden opportunity this year, but that should have happened several games ago, or at least when they sent Husso down for his conditioning stint.

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS

Me either, I was a goalie and a ref in my on ice days, the puck looked covered and the ref was blowing the whistle when his glove got smacked and then the puck slowly slide in, I didn't see an angle where the puck was just lying there free, the original call on the ice wasn't clear that the ref called it good, that came after review...the net cam angle wasn't on the feed I had, it possibly showed something different, but the slash on the ankles on Raymond that led to the Pens goal was an unforgiveable Ref error...

You lack vision.

Sometimes when you bring up a player and they look good it means you made the right decisions with their development and brought them up when they were ready.
Also, the other teams have not completely scouted him out yet, they will have a better book on him for next season.

But he has looked realgud so far!

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I think the first goal justification was the puck never stopped moving and rolled in off of Lyon. I thought we might get lucky due to the whistle blow but I think at the end of the day it was a goal.

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
Newsy has repeatedly said Walman is not himself of late...sounds like DRW talk for injured at this time of the year?

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
I think the first goal justification was the puck never stopped moving and rolled in off of Lyon. I thought we might get lucky due to the whistle blow but I think at the end of the day it was a goal.

It's just another of the ones on the pile that you feel so outraged by when the "intent to blow the whistle" steals away a super important goal or something like Brad May clearly backhanding it into the net and it gets wiped out.... and then you see something like this one that looks f***in identical and it flies.

It would piss me off to no end as a goalie if I made a stop and a guy kept whacking at it and it rolled in. Sorry, I don't know how that ref called it as he did. He clearly didn't see the puck any more and the guy on the Pens whacked down on it and Crosby spun Lyon around a little. As soon as it was called a good goal there wasn't enough to overturn it... but my god, it was malfeasance to call it a goal first. How was there not intent to blow the whistle?

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio

On February 28, the Red Wings had 72 points in 59 games, while the Lightning were at 69 points (nice) in 61 games. In theory, the Red Wings were pretty far ahead of the Lightning and had been more consistent to that point in the season.

Since then, the Red Wings have gone 5-12-3, with a 7 game losing streak that included 2 inexplicable losses to the Coyotes and overall lifeless play for the most part. Over that full 20 game stretch, they failed to get at least a point against the Islanders, Golden Knights, Predators & Rangers late in those games, and lost an extra point against the Capitals and Penguins, who the Red Wings should be able to beat in OT. On the positive side of the spectrum, they did steal a point late against the Panthers, Capitals, & Penguins, while stealing 2 points in a miracle against the Blue Jackets and getting a huge timely goal late to get a regulation 2 points against the Lightning.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Yea, the way Lalonde talks makes me think he would've missed the playoffs if he coached Vegas their first season.

"Everyone thought you were send offs and wouldn't make the playoffs and you know what they might be right, guys. You might just be send offs who won't make the playoffs and that's okay because it's our expectation of you."

Reactions: Realgud

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
We are going to win this game. Handily.
8mk2pz.jpg

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
Yzerman and Lalonde are both "process" guys. Anyone who understands process goals vs outcome goals should have no trouble understanding why Lalonde says the things he says after games like last night. I'm not putting a value on process vs outcome, just saying that's why he says those things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad