Pre-Game Talk: Game 7: last chance for the core

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I really doubt Muzzin plays. That guy is probably the toughest guy on our team and if he didn't come back tonight it is obviously something serious and don't think he would jeopardize the Leafs chances however little they maybe by playing in Game 7 and not being able to complete the game.

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
For me and am sure for some other Leafs fans this game 7 is probably going to be a WIN-WIN scenario.

We win game 7; great! I don't have to listen to the garbage from my habs fans colleagues

We lost game 7; hopefully Dubas is FIRED!!! And we get a GM that has a foresight and knowledge about what it takes to win in the playoffs and not eff up the cap so much that you cannot even add quality depth because no cap left
In years past I may have agreed with you, but this can't be blamed on depth. Our depth players have arguably been our best players. It's the top guys making a combined $22M that haven't pulled their weight.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Lines will definitely be interesting. I am assuming Dermott to the second pair then.

Yes, or elevate Bogo. He can play those minutes... but then you are left with an unplayable 3rd pair. Tough to head into a must-win without Muzzin, he is an under-rated piece of this team. 2 years in a row now with untimely/unfortunate injuries.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I really don’t get it. Assemble a dominant roster, dominate in regular season, and then gear up for the playoffs and literally choke. Every year. Book it. Why? Literally an entire lifetime for most, including me. Why??

Haven't won a cup since we had teams full of guys who would lay it all on the line and make sacrifices for the team. We strayed away from that and now we've got a country club full of guys who don't want to get their cardigan dirty. Unfortunately there's no gimme putts or mulligans in the playoffs.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Marner. Willy showed up

I hope Marner is, but I think Willy will be made out as the scapegoat if Dubas is still in charge...I don't see how Dubas has the guts to trade Marner...I mean, he loves community service, right? Would love a Marner for Eichel deal.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
We should have just let Winnipeg pass us in the standings and faced the Oilers

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
In years past I may have agreed with you, but this can't be blamed on depth. Our depth players have arguably been our best players. It's the top guys making a combined $22M that haven't pulled their weight.

I should have been a bit more clearer. Muzzin hurt no quality depth on D.

our 4th line just does not have "quality". we have thornton who might not even put up points in the beer league and we have Mikheyev who just cannot get anything done offensively. I hardly see him on PK either

Galchenyuk played all but 1 shift in the 3rd ( i am almost positive).

we just couldnt afford quality depth because there is no cap left due to the so called 22M squandered on 2 guys who are not bringing it.

only depth players that are contributing are: Spezza, Kerfoot, Engvall (to a certain extent Galchenyuk did too in one game).

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Hard to find upgrades on those guys though.

A team with two young guys swaggering around putting up regular season numbers just isn’t the be all end all. I think a lot of these competitive teams probably have a great time taking down these superstars who don’t know how to battle and actually do anything when the heat is on.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Cpt Maple Leaf

Jul 19, 2009
Haven't won a cup since we had teams full of guys who would lay it all on the line and make sacrifices for the team. We strayed away from that and now we've got a country club full of guys who don't want to get their cardigan dirty. Unfortunately there's no gimme putts or mulligans in the playoffs.
f*** these guys. Win and I am in.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Call me crazy, but I think we win convincingly.

Re: Willie/Matthews/Marner, Willie has been great, and honestly I think Matthews has been really good. He’s gotten unlucky, tonnes of great chances that haven’t quite gone in, but he’s dominating possession, playing far more physical than he has before, generating tonnes of scoring chances and playing well defensively. The points will come, if we move on.

Marner has to be better though.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Game 5 you were not ready; Game 6 you were not ready....

imagine getting paid millions of dollars and not being "ready".... Can someone recommend a job like that for me; I would love to take a crack at it!

Reactions: Cobra777 and Korg

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
It's really perplexing to watch Matthews and Marner, who destroyed the Habs in the regular season, not able to up their compete level in the playoffs, like their opposition. I'm not even being a hater, or perpetuating some irrational hot take.

Look around the NHL. The teams that win playoff series are largely lead (in production) by their best players. Our best players have been invisible most of the series and when they do show uo, they show zero class in their ability to finish.

This organization gets what it deserves, like any other. If Montreal beats them in game 7, it will be another in a long list of abject failures, from an organization that has no resource related excuses not be able to compete for Stanley Cups.

#16 and #44 almost have to be traded in the off season, if the result of game #7 is another debacle. At least with Anderson's 5.0 million coming off the books, and Marner's 10.8 and Reilly's 5.0 would be enough to give this team another look. Start with something like this...

Galchenyuk-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-????
????-????-????
Engvall-????-Spezza

Muzzin-Brodie
????-Holl
Sandin-Bogosian

Campbell
????

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
It seemed to me that Muzzin was done. If that is a groin, and he left as he did, I don't see how he plays in 2 days.
Who fills in for him? I actually am curious on this.
Both Sandin and Dermott get in guaranteed. A disaster waiting to happen.

Keefes likely lineup:

Rielly Brodie
Dermott Holl (disaster)
Sandin Bogo

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
Sadly if we lose game 7 I dont see any changes happening.

It is a love fest from the president to the GM to the coach and to the players.

No one is going anywhere.

We might switch out the fourth line for other scrubs who make the league minimum. That's about it.

Reactions: sxvnert

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
If Keefe doesn’t take Thornton out i hope he gets fired. Useless. What a mistake signing this guy when your coach won’t/ can’t take him out. The guy does nothing. Simmonds could get much more involved to just saying.

Reactions: Mats13 and Massew

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
That’s my dream. Marner for Eichel even if we need to add a bit

Even if it's Robertson, I do it. The window is only so "open" and both Tavares and Eichel can play on the wing, no problem.

Galchenyuk-Matthews-Nylander
Tavares-Eichel-Hyman

We just can't have a player getting paid as much as Mitch, who offers so very little when the games count. It's Johnny Gaudreau 2.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad