Post-Game Talk: Game 66: Caps win in OT 2-1 - We're on to Florida

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
When I saw him wish happy birthday to Milt Schmidt in that video he looked like he had the shoulders of a 6 foot 150 ln weakling. He looks scrawny to me all of a sudden for some reason.

I like Chara, and it's easy for me to say from the safety of my couch, but he doesn't seem to be all that intimidating anymore. Even his shot is weak now. By contrast, today Shea Weber teed up a shot on an empty net, and three guys tried to duck out of the way. :laugh:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Do refs have angles that TV doesn't? If not, shouldn't goal called on ice stand unless it is CLEARLY offsides? Looked like it could have gone either way. In my book, that's called inconclusive and the call on the ice stands....but what the heck do I know? Seems we've gotten hosed on this call from both sides this year.

CSN Washington had the definitive angle - Right (trailing) foot was clearly in the air. Needs to stay on the ice. Offside. :cry:

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
They said on the broadcast that for a game misconduct you either had to have primary contact with the head or draw blood. Since Ovi did neither, he only got the 5 minute major. Not sure if that's accurate or not, but that's how they explained why he wasn't tossed on the NESN feed.

I'm pretty sure the rule book just says "injury on the play." But I could be wrong. I do know it says if a 5 minute penalty is awarded and there is injury (or if the TV heads are right and it says blood or head injury) the misconduct is mandatory.

indy

Oct 18, 2015
I'm pretty sure the rule book just says "injury on the play." But I could be wrong. I do know it says if a 5 minute penalty is awarded and there is injury (or if the TV heads are right and it says blood or head injury) the misconduct is mandatory.

That was an intent to injure in the very definition of the term.

Ovi wanted to hurt K-Mill and he did. But it is Ovi, so...

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
That was an intent to injure in the very definition of the term.

Ovi wanted to hurt K-Mill and he did. But it is Ovi, so...

Thats for a match penalty for deliberate intent to injure. Misconduct is head/face only for boarding.

41.3 Major Penalty – The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a major
penalty, based on the degree of violence of the impact with the
boards, to a player guilty of boarding an opponent (see 41.5).

41.4 Match Penalty – The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a match
penalty if, in his judgment, the player attempted to or deliberately
injured his opponent by boarding.

41.5 Game Misconduct Penalty - When a major penalty is imposed under
this rule for a foul resulting in an injury to the face or head of an
opponent, a game misconduct shall be imposed.

Last edited:

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Exactly my point.

Going in for a hit isn't a deliberate intent to injure. The issue is the wording with the game misconduct. Charging and Elbowing have the same wording.

43.5 Game Misconduct – A game misconduct penalty must be assessed
anytime a major penalty is applied for checking from behind.

Same as above for Clipping

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
CSN Washington had the definitive angle - Right (trailing) foot was clearly in the air. Needs to stay on the ice. Offside. :cry:

That may be true, but I think this coach's challenge is way out of hand. There were some obvious missed calls in the past - one against the Habs in the playoffs vs. Tampa IIRC? - that needed to be addressed.

But for all the complaints about coaches micromanaging games, we are now micro-refereeing games, over things that happen so fast they are missed in real time, and in many instances have little to no bearing on the result.

I know, rules are rules, but just imagine how many of these 'toenail was offside' calls were allowed in the past, and the game was OK.

For a league searching for ways to increase scoring, taking points off the board over these infractions is not helping; not to mention how much the flow of the game - one of my favorite aspects of hockey - is destroyed.

In fact, I've suspected refs are now blowing offside almost in a preventive manner - I've seen lots of incredulous players when the whistle blows, but of course there's no point in reviewing it the other way.

Aside from that, I'm happy they got the loser point at least.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Just in from the game :madfire::madfire::madfire::madfire::madfire:

Ovechkin is a great player but he can go **** himself :rant:

Poor Kevan ...He is a tough kid but he was hurting bad...Fell in the tunnel. He has been playing much better of late ...now he is out. :(

Brad went after Ovi...Bergy was pissed as was Z. I am pretty sure the guys in stripes gave a warning to the B's about going after Ovi once he was out of the box....HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN OUT OF THE GAME :rant::rant::rant::rant:

I hope the Caps don't win the cup....screw them...:rant:

The B's tried hard tonight. I'll take the point.

Last edited:

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
The bright side in all of this is that since the trade, the Bruins have stepped it up. The past two games were vintage Bruins. Sucks to have lost when we clearly should have won, but i'll take the points. Keep getting better. Keep grinding.

Interested to see what Clode does on d. I want Colin back up.

ps
stop putting Chara out on the 3vs3. speed is what we need.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

Poor Kevan ...He is a tough kid but he was hurting bad...Fell in the tunnel. He has been playing much better of late ...now he is out. :(

Brad went after Ovi...Bergy was pissed as was Z. I am pretty sure the guys in stripes gave a warning to the B's about going after Ovi once he was out of the box....HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN OUT OF THE GAME :rant::rant::rant::rant:

I hope the Caps don't win the cup....srew them...:rant:

Should have done something to Ovechkin anyways, the refs were so bad they'd probably have missed it! :)

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Can someone explain to me why Ovi was let out of the box after 4:59 elapsed...and sent to the bench and had another player sub in? Seemed weird to me. Clock issue perhaps? Or a courtesy second, like at the parking lot when they only charge you for a half hour even though your ticket says 34 minutes.

As for the game...well, as 2-1 games go, it definitely DID have excitement. If you were bored by that game, then I'm not entirely sure you like hockey. I was mad about the Ovi non-toss, but I guess the rules DO say head contact. *shrug* I still reserve the right to be pissed off at a team that has injured TWO of our defensemen in only three games. I'm betting that Miller's out for awhile.

I'm also meh about Krug's goal being taken back. Refs are VERY reluctant to change their decision, so I give them the benefit of the doubt that they genuinely believed it was offside. Hey, at least he got a puck in the net - should give the kid a little confidence.

We got 3/4 from two of the toughest teams in the league - quite possibly the SCF teams. If we can go south to God's waiting room and get 2/4 points, we're doing better than expected.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

I hope the Caps don't win the cup....srew them...:rant:

My Fair Lady:

Referee warnings be damned, the B's should have jumped Ovechkin.

They may have lost the game eventually, but to me, that's when they really lost it.

I realize I can go too far with the "toughness" stuff, but a team simply has to stand up for one another. Especially in a case like that.

When they fail to do so, that send an unmistakable message to fellow teammates, fans, and the rest of the league.

"We can be pushed around."

Not why I watch Bruins hockey.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
I like ovechkin but someone should have done something. lucic was pretty useless towards the end but he would have at least suckered him.

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
Oh yeah, **** the refs and **** the joke that is the NHL officiating. Not the reason the Bruins lost, but there is ZERO consistency on these offside challenges or goalie interference. Zero. And the ref standing at the Caps bench for a minute looking like a baffoon while Trotz has a conference call before challenging? Bush league.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
If only they could score a pp goal, this game would have ended in a much better result.

Inconsistency really bothers me in this league, they showed two identical goals regarding being offside, one was a goal and one wasn't.

Also the curse of Washington goalies, doesn't matter Holtby or the backup doesn't matter Boston is owned by them.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I told a Caps fan if the Krug call was the right call then the ref didn't know the rule and apply it correctly against Philly way back.

He proceeded to say that he did know the rule and said "have you ever known the answer to a question on a quiz and then write down another answer?" as his argument. Uhhhhhhh no....like bro if I knew the answer I would kinda try and put it down....

What planet am I on guys? This is madness. I'm so shook tbh

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I told a Caps fan if the Krug call was the right call then the ref didn't know the rule and apply it correctly against Philly way back.

He proceeded to say that he did know the rule and said "have you ever known the answer to a question on a quiz and then write down another answer?" as his argument. Uhhhhhhh no....like bro if I knew the answer I would kinda try and put it down....

What planet am I on guys? This is madness. I'm so shook tbh

The ruling against Philly was wrong is all. As most people said the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad