GDT: Game 62: Red Wings at avs 9:30 pm et 3/6/24 (TNT, MAX)

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
He should have passed it to Veleno when he first picked up the puck
Yea, the thing is he didn't even have the ability to do that because the moment he touched the puck his stick was lifted. He never really had possession of the puck.

So:
Damn after seeing that replay it doesn't look like Kane even had a chance to move the puck, was off his stick as soon as it was on it. Good team pressure by Avs.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
TNT intermission - odds of winning the Norris - Hughes or Makar...

OK - is it me, or should there be a separate Trophy awarded to the most offensively gifted Dman?

Call it the Orr Award?

roman star

ready to march
Feb 17, 2019
without the wonderful wise women fugu , RIP , here to babysit the forum gets dominated by a bunch of cry babys

Reactions: 14ari13

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Yea, the thing is he didn't even have the ability to do that because the moment he touched the puck his stick was lifted. He never really had possession of the puck.

So:
Yes he did. Go back and watch. He had nobody on him when he first got the puck. Veleno was up the wall open

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
TNT intermission - odds of winning the Norris - Hughes or Makar...

OK - is it me, or should there be a separate Trophy awarded to the most offensively gifted Dman?

Call it the Orr Award?
Hughes tilts the ice to his teams end at even strength so they don't have to play defense, isn't that the best type of defensive hockey?

Yes he did. Go back and watch. He had nobody on him when he first got the puck. Veleno was up the wall open
:laugh:

Read my f***ing post I've posted twice again then tell me to watch the replay. You obviously don't read.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Mistake to pull Lyon. No reason for this team to skate the 3rd. Just mail it in and rest everyone. Great messaging, Lalonde.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Craig Ludwig would like to have a word...
So what's a better recipe for defensive success? (not making an indictment of Ludwig here)

A big dipshit D man that can't move the puck but can hit, poke check, and has incredible gap control, or a guy that gets the puck out of the Defensive zone and keeps it in the offensive zone?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Hughes tilts the ice to his teams end at even strength so they don't have to play defense, isn't that the best type of defensive hockey?

I feel like that's overstating an offensive dmen's impact on the overall game.

Yes it's great when the puck on their stick but it's still gonna end up in your end a lot. And then there's the not playing on the PK.

Personally I don't think you can be considered the best all around Dman in the league when you don't sniff the PK.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Sometimes coaches pull the goalie to send a message to the team. It’s not always a concession of defeat.

Also, they’re not making the playoffs without Lyon. Need to keep him fresh and save his minutes when they can.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
So what's a better recipe for defensive success? (not making an indictment of Ludwig here)

A big dipshit D man that can't move the puck but can hit, poke check, and has incredible gap control, or a guy that gets the puck out of the Defensive zone and keeps it in the offensive zone?
My humor and not so serious question concerning a separate award is being missed out here...

Reactions: Ezekial

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I feel like that's overstating an offensive dmen's impact on the overall game.

Yes it's great when the puck on their stick but it's still gonna end up in your end a lot. And then there's the not playing on the PK.

Personally I don't think you can be considered the best all around Dman in the league when you don't sniff the PK.
Statistics show that he tilts the ice toward his offensive zone and his team scores a lot more goals at ES than they allow when he's on the ice.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Maybe it's the (now two) Maß(s) talking, but when this team goes flat for the next few weeks and misses the playoffs, I'm pointing to this decision to pull Lyon as the reason :laugh:

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane

I appreciate the debate around who the "best" defenseman is in whatever context.

But there isn't really an award for the craft of defending and there should be.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Makar plays more on the PK than any Red Wing defenseman.

Don't confuse him with EK.

Hughes much less so, yes.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Sometimes coaches pull the goalie to send a message to the team. It’s not always a concession of defeat.

Also, they’re not making the playoffs without Lyon. Need to keep him fresh and save his minutes when they can.

Exactly this. The Wings need Lyon playing well in order to make the playoffs.

Pulling him after facing 39 shots with the team not playing well in front of him feels like the right call.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad