Game #46: KINGS embarrassed by REDWINGS 3-1, Gordon Ramsay edition ...

Puck U

2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
Aug 2, 2005
Apple Valley, CA.
Sutter should just unit Richards/Carter, it's just sad for Richards at this point. Unit the JW/AZ/DB and pray they click again. Deano should fix the bottom six, it's pathetic.

I'd kind of like to give this a try ....

D. Brown - A. Kopitar - T. Toffoli
M. Frattin / T. Pearson - M. Richards - J. Carter
D. King - J. Stoll - J. Williams
M. Frattin / T. Pearson / K. Clifford - ROTATE (Kopi/Richards/Carter/Stoll) - T. Lewis / J. Nolan
X - Fraser
(4th line Only dress 2, and rotate centers)

W. Mitchell / J. Muzzin - D. Doughty
R. Regher - S. Voynov
A. Martinez - M. Greene
(I actually think we almost NEED to dress 7 D-men, to keep our PK D fresh)

Either give Frattin or Pearson the ball as LW on the Richards line and let them run with it for a minimum or 10 games ! If they fail, try the other guy, if they fail, D. King moves up ?

Long story short ...

Brown & Kopitar has always worked fairly well, and they can set up Toffoli.
Richards & Carter has always worked fairly well, and they can carry 1 of Frattin/Pearson/King
I think Stoll & Williams could do well, but need a strong LW, so either King or a Trade ?
The 4th line has been a mess for awhile, but some combo of Frattin, Pearson, Clifford, Fraser, Lewis and/or Nolan should at least not be a liability right ?

On D ...
We've simply been taking way too many stupid penalties and it's wearing on our D-men, dress 7 until we resolve that issue, and while Regher hasn't been bad,
how much do we really miss a Scuderi, Mitchell, Greene, 4th ... backend on the PK ? :(

tumblr_m93kz5y9Aq1ro5vtl.gif

Last edited:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Puck U,
I posted this in a different thread, but it's relevant here, and IMO a major reason why the lines are set-up the way they are now as opposed to the beginning of the season.

Here are the # of even-strength goals against for the Kings top 6 forwards this season (based on average TOI)

Mike Richards - 27
Jeff Carter - 22
Justin Williams - 16
Jarret Stoll - 15
Dustin Brown - 12
Anze Kopitar - 12

This is still Dean Lombardi and Darryl Sutter we are talking about, and defensive responsibility is going to be stressed. If they put 10 and 77 together they may need Guy Carboneau on the left wing.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I would still love to know why Nolan is scratched over Clifford and Fraser. I thought he was one of the few bright spots on the bottom six. It makes me sad that the organization seems higher on Clifford than Nolan.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I would still love to know why Nolan is scratched over Clifford and Fraser. I thought he was one of the few bright spots on the bottom six. It makes me sad that the organization seems higher on Clifford than Nolan.

Nolan is banged up, happened in the Minny game from a Cooke hit.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Question, can Voynov speak english? I watched some clips from the kings official site and the media asked him questions in english but he only responded in Russian...

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Puck U,
I posted this in a different thread, but it's relevant here, and IMO a major reason why the lines are set-up the way they are now as opposed to the beginning of the season.

Here are the # of even-strength goals against for the Kings top 6 forwards this season (based on average TOI)

Mike Richards - 27
Jeff Carter - 22
Justin Williams - 16
Jarret Stoll - 15
Dustin Brown - 12
Anze Kopitar - 12

This is still Dean Lombardi and Darryl Sutter we are talking about, and defensive responsibility is going to be stressed. If they put 10 and 77 together they may need Guy Carboneau on the left wing.

What are TT's numbers?

How about Lewis?

Some players can jump around the line up and still perform up to task and some need the same players game in and game out to perform up to their usual standards. DS has been Ftorek like in his line juggling and that has to be considered when you are looking at any and all stats this season.

Not cutting anyone any slack on either side of the position.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Even if the Kings have one more player with 15 goals this season (which is about a 27 goal pace) the team would have atleast a handful more points in the standings right now.

If Brown and Richards were each on pace to get just 20 goals this year, that would be 5-10 more goals for at this point. There's your handful of points in the standings.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Question, can Voynov speak english? I watched some clips from the kings official site and the media asked him questions in english but he only responded in Russian...

He does speak limited English with a thick accent, so that's bizarre.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
If Brown and Richards were each on pace to get just 20 goals this year, that would be 5-10 more goals for at this point. There's your handful of points in the standings.

Oh I agree completely, and I have said that a bunch of times, Brown and Richards playing like crap is the single biggest reason the team has struggled for large chunks of the season.

The question is, if both these guys have been so bad can we expect them to just flip a switch and return to previous form for the playoffs? While these guys aren't old by any stretch, they aren't exactly 22 anymore, and both players have played a very physical brand of hockey for guys their size. And even with Brown and Richards playing at a high level the Kings would struggle to get by Chicago, with them playing like they have this season they will struggle to get by anyone. That is why I think it's so important to add a 25+ goal type guy by the deadline/

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Oh I agree completely, and I have said that a bunch of times, Brown and Richards playing like crap is the single biggest reason the team has struggled for large chunks of the season.

The question is, if both these guys have been so bad can we expect them to just flip a switch and return to previous form for the playoffs? While these guys aren't old by any stretch, they aren't exactly 22 anymore, and both players have played a very physical brand of hockey for guys their size. And even with Brown and Richards playing at a high level the Kings would struggle to get by Chicago, with them playing like they have this season they will struggle to get by anyone. That is why I think it's so important to add a 25+ goal type guy by the deadline/

That wouldn't even help , the Kings are not going to beat Chicago ever, if the Kings top players continue to get outplayed. Its a continuing theme , toews has owned Kopitar/Richards , Kane/sharp buries the Kings , and Doughty continues to play his worst games against Chicago.

Quick has not played well against Chicago either. Another winger that can score is not going to fix that...

Not saying the Kings don't need another scorer , they do. But that is not going to magically make the top guys un#$uck themselves against Chicago.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Can they do that under the cap though?

The Kings go into the season expecting 40+ goals from Brown and Richards. If they're going to end up getting less than 30 from the two of them combined, what can they do this year? Even if they traded Stoll and replaced him with Vey, that opens up less than $3 million, and that's if you don't have to take a player back.

For this season, yeah, the Kings pretty much have to hope Brown and Richards, plus a few other guys, start putting the puck in the net.

bloggerfanthe*

In all honesty what is the freakin point of calling up Pearson and sitting him in the press box? Does no good for his development.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Can they do that under the cap though?

The Kings go into the season expecting 40+ goals from Brown and Richards. If they're going to end up getting less than 30 from the two of them combined, what can they do this year? Even if they traded Stoll and replaced him with Vey, that opens up less than $3 million, and that's if you don't have to take a player back.

For this season, yeah, the Kings pretty much have to hope Brown and Richards, plus a few other guys, start putting the puck in the net.

I think the short answer is no. Guys, go to cap geek some time and start playing around with acquiring any big time LW. You aren't getting one this season without causing a gaping hole somewhere else in the lineup.

We can harp on the LW issue from now until doomsday. The fact is that every team has a hole or two, whether it be up front, on defense, or in goal. I prefer ours to be on LW, due to the style the Kings play.

The Kings' possession time is still good. The number of shots is fine, the quality leaves something to be desired at times, but this is the hand Sutter is most likely going to have to play.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Sutter should just unit Richards/Carter, it's just sad for Richards at this point. Unit the JW/AZ/DB and pray they click again. Deano should fix the bottom six, it's pathetic.

when you can muster up only 1 goal against a depleted roster (on a 5-on-3 PP at that) and shaky goalie, it's hardly the fault of the bottom six.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Again, this is more or less the team that started the season and SUCKED. It's pretty clear that the team DL and Sutter want out there just isn't that good.

We didn't go on our streak until Lewis, Frattin, Fraser, etc. were all injured and out of the lineup, and A Mart, Nolan, and the Manch kids were drawing regular minutes. It's not a ****ing coincidence anymore.

Just go back to basics, and dress the right players.

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
King-Richards-Carter
Clifford-Vey-Toffoli
Nolan-Stoll-Lewis

Muzzin-Doughty
Regehr-Voynov
Mitchell-Martinez

Face Wash

Mar 17, 2002
Visit site
That wouldn't even help , the Kings are not going to beat Chicago ever, if the Kings top players continue to get outplayed. Its a continuing theme , toews has owned Kopitar/Richards , Kane/sharp buries the Kings , and Doughty continues to play his worst games against Chicago.

Quick has not played well against Chicago either. Another winger that can score is not going to fix that...

Not saying the Kings don't need another scorer , they do. But that is not going to magically make the top guys un#$uck themselves against Chicago.

I agree with this to large extent..as constructed now the Kings can't beat Chicago (at least not IN Chicago) and I don't see how they beat Chicago 4 out of 7 right now. But I do think more skill/speed upfront would improve the Kings chances. But I also think the Kings have been making more mistakes against Chicago. If they play faster and a lot smarter they have a chance against Chicago.

The Kings are one of few teams that literally slows Chicago down. Kings lack a little skill, but they also lack creativity and sometimes go brain dead on the ice. Kings have a very low margin for error playing the "un"offensive hockey they play. Their mistakes end up in the net more often lately and against Chicago, almost every mistake is exploited.

TheSentinel

Mar 4, 2013
WhereTheKingsReign
I agree with this to large extent..as constructed now the Kings can't beat Chicago (at least not IN Chicago) and I don't see how they beat Chicago 4 out of 7 right now. But I do think more skill/speed upfront would improve the Kings chances. But I also think the Kings have been making more mistakes against Chicago. If they play faster and a lot smarter they have a chance against Chicago.

The Kings are one of few teams that literally slows Chicago down. Kings lack a little skill, but they also lack creativity and sometimes go brain dead on the ice. Kings have a very low margin for error playing the "un"offensive hockey they play. Their mistakes end up in the net more often lately and against Chicago, almost every mistake is exploited.

This seems like they do it to every team in the league the only time i've really seeing the Kings even go with any speed was against the likes of Boston and i think the nuckleheads.

As far as this game went, Every period they started out strong but one mistake/miscue and it turned into the game I was hoping it wouldn't be: Speed over Defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad