Game #46: KINGS embarrassed by REDWINGS 3-1, Gordon Ramsay edition ...

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Muzzin's eyes are too close together, so in guessing he might have impaired vision. That's the only logical explanation I have for his tunnel vision, he can only see what's in front of him.

2ytpjps.gif

Winger23

May 3, 2007
I'm not worried! Kings got the league riiiiiight where they want em. We're outshooting most teams and eventually these extra shots will be going in. Nooooo worries at all.

I disagree. Shots from along the boards are not going to start magically start going in. The Kings live ouside of the dots and until they decide to change that, even strength and on the PP they will not be scoring many goals, even if they had 100 shots a game.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
So if it wasn't for a two-man advantage, the Kings could have possibly been shutout. No goal scored after the 1st, but plenty of chances that they failed to capitalize on, and a post by Frattin.

We expect more from this team but they continue to be like a Jekyll and Hyde team, after netting 4 against Boston they revert back to struggling to generate offense. How many losses have they had where they've only managed one goal?

KingKopitar11*

For the people saying don't worry no big deal, is this your first time seeing the kings out shoot and lose?

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Good question. Apparently when you are the whipping boys of the month it doesn't matter what you do. You'll get ragged on after the game until you score a goal. That line had the most chances out of anyone. It just didn't go in. People act like you can just will the puck in. They did everything people have been asking them to, they crashed the net, they went in the slot, Richards won 78% of the faceoffs, what else do you want them to do? Please let me know what more they could've done to put the puck in the net.

Actually score? Don't get me wrong, I thought Richards' line looked good tonight, but this team is past the point of handing out gold stars for effort. We need some results from someone. Anyone.

LOL and we took out Howard go figure. Mrazek starting at Anaheim. We are our own worst enemies :laugh:

Anaheim was going to win regardless.

I disagree. Shots from along the boards are not going to start magically start going in. The Kings live ouside of the dots and until they decide to change that, even strength and on the PP they will not be scoring many goals, even if they had 100 shots a game.

Pretty much.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
I liked that line and I though Frattin showed improvement and Richards is doing everything humanly possible to be better but he did mess up big time letting a rookie beat him to the middle of the ice. He did get caught up on another players legs there and that was unfortunate but when the margin between winning and losing is so close every game those are the breaks that make a difference.

Ok, how about when Williams made a bad change on the second goal? Or when Clifford fell down leaving Tatar with a wide open shot? How about how the 2nd line was a -2 and only generated 6 shots? Or when Muzzin decided to lie on the ice waiting for a penalty instead of getting right back up and into the play? But the Richards thing, that was the deciding factor!

First it was Kopitar, then it was Quick, then it was Brown, now Richards. There's always one guy going through a slump and his every move is magnified. We had our five top scoring forwards on the ice and our top scoring defenseman for the last 2 minutes and we couldn't get a goal. There's your issue. Nobody is scoring consistently right now besides Carter. It has nothing to do with one individual guy who isn't even playing bad anymore. It's an entire epidemic of despite winning faceoffs, dominating puck possession, and shooting forty pucks a game, nobody is finishing. It makes no sense.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Not that I'm hanging the loss on him at all, but what the hell was quick doing on that second goal? I mean, how does he decide that kicking the puck into the slot is a good idea over just putting his glove on it? I swear to god this team has gone full Pejorative Slur.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
There have been 14 games where the Kings have scored one or zero goals, 30% of the games they have played so far.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Ok, how about when Williams made a bad change on the second goal? Or when Clifford fell down leaving Tatar with a wide open shot? How about how the 2nd line was a -2 and only generated 6 shots? Or when Muzzin decided to lie on the ice waiting for a penalty instead of getting right back up and into the play? But the Richards thing, that was the deciding factor!

First it was Kopitar, then it was Quick, then it was Brown, now Richards. There's always one guy going through a slump and his every move is magnified. We had our five top scoring forwards on the ice and our top scoring defenseman for the last 2 minutes and we couldn't get a goal. There's your issue. Nobody is scoring consistently right now besides Carter. It has nothing to do with one individual guy who isn't even playing bad anymore. It's an entire epidemic of despite winning faceoffs, dominating puck possession, and shooting forty pucks a game, nobody is finishing. It makes no sense.

Whoa, don't get me wrong, there's plenty of blame to go around and he's far from my personal whipping boy. I was responding to put Richards' game back in the middle of the road rather than polarize him either way. The original quote was something to the effect of "what more do you want him to do" so I answered. You can generate all the chances in the world but if your miscue leads to the GWG I think that's a fair criticism, no?

Like I said there's lots of small plays in the game by many players that contribute to the overall outcome but I was specifically responding to analysis of Richards.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
"Herby" must have had a hand in picking the 3 stars tonight- his favorite player was star number 2.

Awwww, these poor mean posters picking on poor Mike Richards. You're pretty much saying people have unrealistic offensive expectations and people should expect more than 1 goal in almost 30 games by your stupid sarcastic "I blame Richards for not scoring twice" garbage post. Do you really think people are expecting to much from MR offensively? The guy has 1 goal in 30 games and is a massive defensive liability, and you criticize people for calling him out?

But hey, he actually made some positive offensive plays and was only on the ice for 1 Detroit goal for a -1, that is better than he has done the last 15 games.

Last edited by a moderator:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
There have been 14 games where the Kings have scored one or zero goals, 30% of the games they have played so far.

The Kings try hard, it's not an effort issue. The team just doesn't have very much natural skill. They really need another winger to play with TT and Richards and play on the #2 PP unit.

Even if the Kings have one more player with 15 goals this season (which is about a 27 goal pace) the team would have atleast a handful more points in the standings right now.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Whoa, don't get me wrong, there's plenty of blame to go around and he's far from my personal whipping boy. I was responding to put Richards' game back in the middle of the road rather than polarize him either way. The original quote was something to the effect of "what more do you want him to do" so I answered. You can generate all the chances in the world but if your miscue leads to the GWG I think that's a fair criticism, no?

Like I said there's lots of small plays in the game by many players that contribute to the overall outcome but I was specifically responding to analysis of Richards.

First of all, that was the tying goal, not the game winner.

Secondly, I'm not saying he's your personal whipping boy but right now he's the number one guy people jump on. There were guys who had worse games tonight, guys who had bigger mistakes, but it's Richards that is getting the ragged on, despite having only one miscue caused by being tripped up on the play. Even in the press conference with Sutter, they're asking questions about Richards. Why? He wasn't the problem tonight.

I asked what more Richards could've done to score tonight. It's one thing for people to criticize a player who is playing badly and does not look into the game. It's another when the guy is playing his ass off and he's just not getting a goal.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
First of all, that was the tying goal, not the game winner.

Secondly, I'm not saying he's your personal whipping boy but right now he's the number one guy people jump on. There were guys who had worse games tonight, guys who had bigger mistakes, but it's Richards that is getting the ragged on, despite having only one miscue caused by being tripped up on the play. Even in the press conference with Sutter, they're asking questions about Richards. Why? He wasn't the problem tonight.

I asked what more Richards could've done to score tonight. It's one thing for people to criticize a player who is playing badly and does not look into the game. It's another when the guy is playing his ass off and he's just not getting a goal.

JML, I don't know if you're talking to the wrong person or what, but I don't understand why you're hyperfocused on my post. I said I thought Richards played well but he did lose his check on a goal (I guess I forgot which goal so apologies on that). I think my view is moderate and fair and I even said there's plenty of blame to go around.

I agree with you that he shouldn't be the whipping boy and tonight he couldn't buy a goal but if you're looking to criticize posters who ARE using him as a scapegoat you're barking up the wrong tree.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Is it illegal to call out Richards on this boards?

Is it wrong to ask what he's supposed to do besides "just score"? His 8 shots tonight were more than he's had in a game in 6 years.

And you want me to call out Richards? I thought he played like **** in late December and early January. But the last three games he's played like he did up until mid December. So I fail to see why we need to call out Richards.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

I did it a few times, so what do you think?

He needs to step it up, I like the guy, but he is getting paid a lot of money to play better than this. It needs to start happening. I am a little annoyed that he goes through these mid-season patches that are beyond the point of just being slumps. Obviously, he isn't the reason we're losing, but he's a good target to point at as to why we aren't scoring. He's not paid all that money to be our Shawn Horcoff.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011

Absolutely not. He played like ass for many games and is rounding back into form. Thought he looked real good tonight, but couldn't bury any chances.

However, the trend of one player being singled out and numerous posters complaining and *****ing about them for a few week is annoying as hell. First it was Quick. Then it was Lewis. Then is was Clifford. Then Fraser. Then Scrivens. And now it's Mike Richards. Throw Frattin in here and there with the "this is all Dean got for Bernier, god's gift to goaltending?!?!" and that's where we're at.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Meh, it's not on one player. But the trend exists because all of these players, bar Quick, have played in a fashion that leads to their being targeted. All of them, bar Quick, still are.

That to me, more than anything else, tells me where the Kings stand as a team right now.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

And that is going to bite them in the ass when it comes to playoff seeding at the end of the season. Adding a goal scorer can change that, as we saw the effect Carter had on the dynamic of the roster.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Meh, it's not on one player. But the trend exists because all of these players, bar Quick, have played in a fashion that leads to their being targeted. All of them, bar Quick, still are.

That to me, more than anything else, tells me where the Kings stand as a team right now.

So true...every guy could stand to elevate their game right now, defensively and offensively. Like it or not, low-scoring games means no margin for error on either side of the puck. Have to start burying open nets as well as gluing yourself to an opposing stick.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes
    • Updated: