GDT: Game #4 | Blues @ Rangers | "Return of Kaufman"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
All these potshots at Shattenkirk are getting annoying. The guy was great for the Blues and well liked by his teammates. I hope he does well with the Rangers.
He was my favorite player for a lot of years, so I do hate the fact he's gone. I can understand the psychological point that because something is gone, you wanna believe it was never needed but reality is Kevin Shattenkirk does a lot more for this team than anyone on the blue line, as #55 and #27 could ever bring. We're still waiting to see what #29 is capable of because he's really starting to look better each and every game.

Unlike Thompson, who should not be on the team.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Would you mind explaining what you have seen to think this or who you would rather have in the lineup than Thompson? He has looked better than Sundqvist, Paajarvi, and outside of 1-2 moments, Jaskin. Dunn is looking good but I have to disagree, Shattenkirk doesn't do more for the blue line than 55 or 27. Both are head to toe better DEFENSEMEN (notice I didn't say offensive) than Shattenkirk is. Shatty is very good offensively, but I would cringe when he was having to step in for Pietrangelo defensively. Parayko and Pietrangelo (especially this year) will put up larger amount of points and still be better defensively than Shattenkirk.

Sorry, edited because initial response was a little drastic.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
He was my favorite player for a lot of years, so I do hate the fact he's gone. I can understand the psychological point that because something is gone, you wanna believe it was never needed but reality is Kevin Shattenkirk does a lot more for this team than anyone on the blue line, as #55 and #27 could ever bring. We're still waiting to see what #29 is capable of because he's really starting to look better each and every game.

If I'm reading this bolded correctly you're saying Kevin Shattenkirk is a better Dman than Petro or Parayko? If so, that's absurd. Shatty is a solid Dmaan for sure, but Parayko and Petro are in another realm.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Dunn still does not look great and Thompson has had some really nice moments in the offensive zone. They both look like rookies with NHL-level skills and they just need time. At this point, I'm 100% fine with both of them getting that time with the big club. Neither of them have struggled to the degree that it's obvious they should be in the minors - and the Blues are winning. It's not an issue until their development appears to be in danger or the team has a better chance of winning with different players in the lineup.

Last edited:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

I know how you feel in regards to a favorite player being traded away. It's the same for me with Oshie. He was my favorite player. even before the Olympics, he has some of my favorite plays I have ever witnessed from a Blues player. What seems worse for me is I do not think there was a good reason to trade him. That sucks. He is still one of my favorite players and I watch Washington whenever I can. So it is especially annoying when people on this board take pot shots that aren't true or spread mis-information about him. The narrative that he was a locker-room cancer, playoff choker, or otherwise terrible player have all been disproven with his time in Washington or are otherwise unsubstantiated. Yet they persist, especially from one particular poster. It gets very very old. And the same happens with Shattenkirk. So you have my complete empathy. So much so, I'm not gonna even call you out on the other stuff in your post :naughty:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Dunn still does not look great and Thompson has had some really nice moments in the offensive zone. They both look like rookies with NHL-level skills and they just need time. At this point, I'm 100% fine with both of them getting that time with the big club. Neither of them have struggled to the degree that it's obvious they should be in the minors - and the Blues are winning. It's not an issue until their development appears to be in danger or the team has a better chance of winning with different players in the lineup.

My only issue is that Thompson is probably blocking one of either Kostin (when healthy) or Blais. If they are more ready, they should be the rookie getting the NHL time. I don't have much issue with Thompson being there and he hasn't looked terrible. But Blais earned a spot, and if Thompson is blocking him, he hasn't proven he deserves to have taken that spot from Blias, imo.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
My only issue is that Thompson is probably blocking one of either Kstoin or Blais. If they are more ready, they should be the rookie getting the time. I don't have much issue with Thompson being there and he hasn't looked terrible. But Blais earned a spot, and if Thompson is blocking him, he hasn't proven he deserves to have taken that spot from Blias, imo.

Ideally, we'd have Thompson, Blais, and no Thorburn. And possibly no Upshall. But when the coaching staff has preferences about roles, this is what we get. I understand it to a certain degree and can't complain much as long as they're winning, but we'll have to see where it gets them a couple months from now.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Ideally, we'd have Thompson, Blais, and no Thorburn. And possibly no Upshall. But when the coaching staff has preferences about roles, this is what we get. I understand it to a certain degree and can't complain much as long as they're winning, but we'll have to see where it gets them a couple months from now.

Agreed, given the roles and coaching/managment's comfort level with multiple rookies, we are only getting one of Blias, Kostin, Thompson. They even seem reluctant to put Sundqvist, Thomas and Barbashev all in at the same time. Given those parameters, I'd rather have Blais than Thompson, or at least give Sammy a shot. But no doubt I'd rather have Thompson and Blais over Thorbun. Granted, I'd rather have a pylon with a stick taped to it than Thorburn

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Would you mind explaining what you have seen to think this or who you would rather have in the lineup than Thompson? He has looked better than Sundqvist, Paajarvi, and outside of 1-2 moments, Jaskin. Dunn is looking good but I have to disagree, Shattenkirk doesn't do more for the blue line than 55 or 27. Both are head to toe better DEFENSEMEN (notice I didn't say offensive) than Shattenkirk is. Shatty is very good offensively, but I would cringe when he was having to step in for Pietrangelo defensively. Parayko and Pietrangelo (especially this year) will put up larger amount of points and still be better defensively than Shattenkirk.

Sorry, edited because initial response was a little drastic.
Well short answer is Blais because he's currently a better NHL player.

Thompson has shown flashes of skill but also hasn't done really anything aside from take a couple penalties. He isn't generating a lot shots, chances and he isn't much of a suppressor on defense. It may be because he's playing with Paajarvi and Sundqvist, but then he's not being played in an ideal spot. I'd rather throw in a guy like Blais who has some sand paper to go along with his line mates.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I agree Rum. They aren’t setting the world on fire like Fabbri and Parayko, but they are making progress, while not being liabilities. Plus, it’s interesting to watch them develop.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I think Thompson's biggest problem (outside of just not being ready) is he's been with either PRV-Sunqvist, prob the least offensive players on the team, or Schwartz-Schenn, who, honestly don't need someone with Thompson's style of play on their line. If you put Thompson with players like Blais-Barbashev, he'll produce better than he is because both of those players are decent playmakers. Yeo has put Thompson in a position to fail since the beginning of the season, IMO.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I believe the only reason Blais isn’t on the team is Yeo places a priority on defense over offense. Blais does a lot more offensively, but Tage is better defensively (even if the gap favors Blais).

EDIT: Thompson does a few things well offensively. But he also has some holes in his game that have been there for a while. He doesn’t drive the play. This is in part because he doesn’t use his speed well aside from breakouts/stretch plays. His agility isn’t great, so he isn’t on the plus side of quick stops and starts. That may also be a big reason he doesn’t win many board battles, in addition to his lack of drive. Then there is his vision. It’s not doing him any favors. He is basically just a shooter at this point.

Last edited:

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I think Thompson's biggest problem (outside of just not being ready) is he's been with either PRV-Sunqvist, prob the least offensive players on the team, or Schwartz-Schenn, who, honestly don't need someone with Thompson's style of play on their line. If you put Thompson with players like Blais-Barbashev, he'll produce better than he is because both of those players are decent playmakers. Yeo has put Thompson in a position to fail since the beginning of the season, IMO.

I wouldn't say he's been put in a position to fail, just not always a position to show what he can do. There's a large gulf between actual failure and just failure to impress fans with goals.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I wouldn't say he's been put in a position to fail, just not always a position to show what he can do. There's a large gulf between actual failure and just failure to impress fans with goals.
True, I should have said "A position to fail Offensively" My bad.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I believe the only reason Blais isn’t on the team is Yeo places a priority on defense over offense. Blais does a lot more offensively, but Tage is better defensively (even if the gap favors Blais).

EDIT: Thompson does a few things well offensively. But he also has some holes in his game that have been there for a while. He doesn’t drive the play. This is in part because he doesn’t use his speed well aside from breakouts/stretch plays. His agility isn’t great, so he isn’t on the plus side of quick stops and starts. That may also be a big reason he doesn’t win many board battles, in addition to his lack of drive. Then there is his vision. It’s not doing him any favors. He is basically just a shooter at this point.

I think expecting a rookie to be ready to have a holeless NHL game after 4 games is asking for a little bit much. I'm okay with giving Thompson time right now and watching him develop. I think he will. Pulling the plug after 4 games where he has hardly looked bad and has had some moments of offensive brilliance is silly. Normally that's when we'd start complaining that *insert coach here* isn't giving the youth a chance. The only reason we're calling for this now is because there's other youth we want to see.

Reactions: stl76 and rumrokh

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I think expecting a rookie to be ready to have a holeless NHL game after 4 games is asking for a little bit much. I'm okay with giving Thompson time right now and watching him develop. I think he will. Pulling the plug after 4 games where he has hardly looked bad and has had some moments of offensive brilliance is silly. Normally that's when we'd start complaining that *insert coach here* isn't giving the youth a chance. The only reason we're calling for this now is because there's other youth we want to see.
I dont think people were/are opposed to playing Thompson, it's more being annoyed with the fact that Blais more than earned a spot on this roster and instead Thompson is playing while Blais is playing in the AHL. I thought he was better than Thompson, Paajarvi, Jaskin, Sundqvist, and obviously Thorburn, yet all of those players made the roster because of "proficient" defensive ability.

My personal preference would have the bottom 6:

Blais-Barbashev-Jaskin
Upshall/Paaravi-Brodziak-Sundqvist/Megan

I'm sure others have stated the exact same thing, but I think TT needs more time to adjustto the pro game.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
If someone else wants to tackle the GDT tomorrow, feel free. If not I can make a quick one when I get home from work around 3pm cst.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
To be clear, I am not expecting him to be hole-less nor am I calling for them to pull the plug.

I am just making observations. With those observations, I will say that there are things I mentioned about Tage that I expect to remain holes or, at the very least, never become strengths.

Reactions: bluesfan94

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I just want to see him unload that cannon.
His ability to do that will make or break him reaching his potential. His shot is the one asset he absolutely has to leverage. I am not saying that he can’t be an NHLer if he only taps it lightly. Rather, he can do everything else right, but without getting open for or creating his own shots, he will never live up to expectations. His shot is his golden ticket. Nothing else he brings is a top 6 level asset.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
His ability to do that will make or break him reaching his potential. His shot is the one asset he absolutely has to leverage. I am not saying that he can’t be an NHLer if he only taps it lightly. Rather, he can do everything else right, but without getting open for or creating his own shots, he will never live up to expectations. His shot is his golden ticket. Nothing else he brings is a top 6 level asset.

I see him protecting the puck and stickhandling in traffic very well so far. He can definitely make time and space for his linemates. Unfortunately, for Tage, I haven't seen his linemates do that for him pretty much at all yet.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
I can do one as soon as I get home from work.

So work means more to you than our winning streak.....
you-disappoint-me_o_1022355.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad