GDT: Game #4 | Blues @ Rangers | "Return of Kaufman"

Status
Not open for further replies.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I believe the only reason Blais isn’t on the team is Yeo places a priority on defense over offense. Blais does a lot more offensively, but Tage is better defensively (even if the gap favors Blais).

EDIT: Thompson does a few things well offensively. But he also has some holes in his game that have been there for a while. He doesn’t drive the play. This is in part because he doesn’t use his speed well aside from breakouts/stretch plays. His agility isn’t great, so he isn’t on the plus side of quick stops and starts. That may also be a big reason he doesn’t win many board battles, in addition to his lack of drive. Then there is his vision. It’s not doing him any favors. He is basically just a shooter at this point.

His ability to do that will make or break him reaching his potential. His shot is the one asset he absolutely has to leverage. I am not saying that he can’t be an NHLer if he only taps it lightly. Rather, he can do everything else right, but without getting open for or creating his own shots, he will never live up to expectations. His shot is his golden ticket. Nothing else he brings is a top 6 level asset.

I think you're being way too hard on Thompson here Celtic Note. His vision has been fine-to-good IMO and I do not see any lack of drive...can you elaborate on what you mean by that exactly? Because I think his compete level has been very good. If you mean drive to the net, then I agree he has been a bit too much on the perimeter, but I think that's a confidence issue/adjusting the NHL speed and intensity more than anything else. It will hopefully come with more experience and confidence. Agreed that his agility is not great, and there's parts of his skating that need to improve but it's not a glaring problem (yet) IMO.

Yes, his shot may end up being his most important attribute, but it's not like he's useless otherwise. I really disagree with your critique of his vision, I think he's made some great passes and plays with the puck in the offensive and neutral zone. As others mentioned, his stick handling and puck possession have both been a positive asset (tho I will say that he's been knocked off the puck too easily in the corners a couple times).

Bottom line: it's been 4 games, and Thompson is still very much a work-in-progress learning the NHL game, but he has been pretty good so far all things considered. He still has a lot he can improve on, but that doesn't mean that he has already shown all he is capable of.

Reactions: rumrokh

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Ummmm...winning steak? You don't mess with the streak. We expect a full-ass GDT out of you. Pronto.

So work means more to you than our winning streak.....

Blanick turned 2 masterful performences followed by two very solid efforts to get us to 4-0. Then he has one night where he can't give us his best and we turn on him? Who do you think he is, a Blues goaltender?

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I think you're being way too hard on Thompson here Celtic Note. His vision has been fine-to-good IMO and I do not see any lack of drive...can you elaborate on what you mean by that exactly?

I can't speak for him, but the way it read to me felt like he was referring to Thompson not driving to the net or the hard areas of the ice. He's seemed a bit tentative to do that and has been more of a perimeter player so far.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I think you're being way too hard on Thompson here Celtic Note. His vision has been fine-to-good IMO and I do not see any lack of drive...can you elaborate on what you mean by that exactly? Because I think his compete level has been very good. If you mean drive to the net, then I agree he has been a bit too much on the perimeter, but I think that's a confidence issue/adjusting the NHL speed and intensity more than anything else. It will hopefully come with more experience and confidence. Agreed that his agility is not great, and there's parts of his skating that need to improve but it's not a glaring problem (yet) IMO.

Yes, his shot may end up being his most important attribute, but it's not like he's useless otherwise. I really disagree with your critique of his vision, I think he's made some great passes and plays with the puck in the offensive and neutral zone. As others mentioned, his stick handling and puck possession have both been a positive asset (tho I will say that he's been knocked off the puck too easily in the corners a couple times).

Bottom line: it's been 4 games, and Thompson is still very much a work-in-progress learning the NHL game, but he has been pretty good so far all things considered. He still has a lot he can improve on, but that doesn't mean that he has already shown all he is capable of.

Its hard to judge his vision because he tries to do things with the puck he shouldn't when there are obvious outlets. So does he not see the pass, or does he just think he can make a play with his stick and skates? I think it is more the latter, but it is hard to say his vision is great when he is missing obvious passes in favor of getting himself hemmed in. As such, I also disagree that his stick handling has been positive. He made a few moves in the pre-season but I don't recall any moves that led to anything in the regular season. If anything, his confidence in it is a negative at this point. But its so early, he can still learn what he can and can't do. Once he gets that down, I think we'll get a better handle on his other attributes.

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
Thompson isn't lost, which is important at this point in his development. When he inevitably gets sent back down, he'll have an opportunity to dominate a slower game. His 2nd shot at the NHL will give a better indication about what kind of player he will be.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Blanick turned 2 masterful performences followed by two very solid efforts to get us to 4-0. Then he has one night where he can't give us his best and we turn on him? Who do you think he is, a Blues goaltender?

I'm sad that this got posted in a 2 day old GDT, because it is probably an early candidate for post of the year.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Shameless double post, but my vote is to just make this a double-full-assed GDT and use it for tonight's game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->