GDT: Game 34 | Washington Capitals @ Columbus Blue Jackets | 12/21 7PM

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Only problem I have is he should have beat the $h!t out of Wilson and sent him to the locker room.

It sure looked like he tried, he blockered him in the head a couple times.

Elvis lost his cool for sure. But I’ve watched this replay three times now and Elvis went for his stick and Wilson hit him. Elvis pushed but they both were scuffling and Wilson pulls off his mask. It should have been two roughing penalties - one each

By rule Elvis should have been ejected for hitting with the blocker.

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
We didn’t suck so I’m at least thankful for that. Other than poor control in our zone rest of game was decent

Halfboard

Nov 30, 2005
100%, he's way too emotional. He really needs to calm that shit down because it doesn't help him. He can be fiery competitive but keep in under control. He's up and down. That said, I'm not too upset with him, he played well but he needs to learn from this, they should have won.
Billy Smith was emotional; as was Patrick Roy. Nothing wrong with that in a goaltender.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Its a point and the offense is playing well so I am not going to lose sleep over this loss. Elvis got a bit too emotional there but heat of the moment and all that. Onto the next game.

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
Billy Smith was emotional; as was Patrick Roy. Nothing wrong with that in a goaltender.
Didnt say there was but those guys didnt get super down on themselves either. There is a right type of fiery. Elvis is improving, as is the team.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
Elvis was the worst actor in that confrontation. Sorry gang.

Wilson got tackled into the net by Johnson. He's trying to get up, and Elvis pushed him back into the net. Yeah, he was trying to get his stick back, but from Wilson's POV, he just got pushed into the net by a goalie. And then, when Elvis reaches down for his stick, Wilson thinks he's about to get hit again, so he gets defensive. And Elvis responds because he thinks Wilson is after HIM, and now it's on.

I can see why each player would think the other one was at fault. But Elvis was throwing punches with the blocker, and that's a no-no. The best we could have hoped for there was matching minors, and it didn't happen. Oh well.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Dont participate much in these but I figured I’ll jump in for this

Even if I play into the “Elvis started everything and is the bad actor” thing (which is bullshit, but we’ll play) you can easily call the capital who head locked Jiricek and tackled him on the ice, which is arguably more dangerous than Elvis punching a downed Wilson.

Should have been offsetting minors to that capital and Elvis. But they didn’t do it because the whole thing kicked off with Elvis in the net and they didn’t even see Jiricek get tackled.

It is what it is.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I’m not concerned about blame or who should get penalty minutes there. I’m not even concerned that they lost a point because of it, because let’s be real, wins and points don’t matter. Season’s over. The team played well tonight pretty much to a man. They dominated the game for huge stretches. And watching Elvis pummel Wilson was cathartic for every dirtbag thing Wilson has done to this franchise over the years. This loss was worth it.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
I’m not concerned about blame or who should get penalty minutes there. I’m not even concerned that they lost a point because of it, because let’s be real, wins and points don’t matter. Season’s over. The team played well tonight pretty much to a man. They dominated the game for huge stretches. And watching Elvis pummel Wilson was cathartic for every dirtbag thing Wilson has done to this franchise over the years. This loss was worth it.
Pretty much this.

The point we lost doesn't mean much anyway, Elvis learns a lesson about maturity and composure, and we get to enjoy seeing Wilson get smacked around.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Refs say they don’t want to influence the outcome of the game and then they don’t give off-setting minors in an OT scuffle? F-off.

The same folks blaming Elvis must have missed the countless saves he had that helped the team crawl back into this game. Typical CBJ HFB though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
Refs say they don’t want to influence the outcome of the game and then they don’t give off-setting minors in an OT scuffle? F-off.

The same folks blaming Elvis must have missed the countless saves he had that helped the team crawl back into this game. Typical CBJ HFB though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
1. The refs could have given Merzlikins a match penalty for punching with the blocker. They didn't.
Giving him the minor and not evening it up is NOT an outrageous decision, whether we like it or not.

2. More than one thing can be true at a time.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Now that I'm home and get to sit and type more:

I don't care about the 1 point we didn't get. It's not like it hurt us in the long run.

I do care about when players on this team play with a fire in their belly and a bit of passion in their play. I've been sick of watching this team get steamrolled and players take cheap shots where nobody does anything. Gubranson was being a leader when he stuck up for himself against Florida. Elvis was being a leader when he stuck up for himself from all the dirty stuff Wilson gets away with all the time. Elvis himself pointed out 3 very specific things Wilson did tonight that got ignored by officials.

Sure, he needs to pick and choose his times to do things and it also should have been offsetting penalties in OT for that. The Capitals are not innocent and perfect even thought the refs called virtually a perfect game for them.

It's life. Sh*t happens but I'm tired of this team getting bullyed around and I like they are sticking up for themselves.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
just how good has China been, you ask?

out of all the players on the team with 20+ games, Yegor Chinakhov now has the second highest points per game this season.

we’re witnessing a player developing into something special, every night.

easily has the best wrist shot on the team, btw.
I think we all knew he was going to be something special when it was mentioned that he wanted out of here

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: ViD and Napoli

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
One thing I don’t like. Vincent was very clear to defend Gudbranson after his incident, and is throwing Elvis under the bus here.

I know different situations. But he defended his guy in an emotional outburst the first time. But suddenly Elvis cost the team the game and he can’t control his emotions? Gudbranson did the same thing two weeks ago but the blame was to the refs in Vincent’s eyes.

Not only that, but when the caps won it and spent the next few seconds barking at Elvis as he was leaving the only player who went to bat and barked back with him was Gudbranson.

There is a very clear disconnect with Elvis and the team and it’s heading to divorce imo.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
One thing I don’t like. Vincent was very clear to defend Gudbranson after his incident, and is throwing Elvis under the bus here.

I know different situations. But he defended his guy in an emotional outburst the first time. But suddenly Elvis cost the team the game and he can’t control his emotions? Gudbranson did the same thing two weeks ago but the blame was to the refs in Vincent’s eyes.

Not only that, but when the caps won it and spent the next few seconds barking at Elvis as he was leaving the only player who went to bat and barked back with him was Gudbranson.

There is a very clear disconnect with Elvis and the team and it’s heading to divorce imo.
I was just about to say something similar.

I did NOT like PV becoming a Wilson apologist in his post game.

People may not like Elvis and he might rub some people the wrong way but this team literally has no better option on the horizon. His play is much improved as a whole and I'm willing to bet a new start somewhere else is probably better for him because this organization is a dysfunctional mess.

He might actually thrive in an organization that has his back while we continue to hash through AHL quality goalies.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I'm among the first to jump on Elvis for his play, but he looked great tonight. I knew it was wrong for him to wail on Tom Wilson when it happened, but that didn't stop me from enjoying it in the moment.

Reactions: LJ7

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
How much do we want to bet they compound this by scratching Elvis, starting Martin and using Tarasov as the backup on Saturday because our organization is a shitshow.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I love everything about this post - and concur.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: