GDT: Game 34 | Washington Capitals @ Columbus Blue Jackets | 12/21 7PM

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I have zero problem with anything Pascal Vincent said last night. He was right. Tom Wilson may be a pain in the ass, but you still have to stay in your shoes. You can’t just flip out over nothing. Besides, Vincent didn’t rip him a new a$$hole; it was a mild, milquetoast criticism.

Now, let me also say that if Elvis genuinely believed that there was an attempt to injure him, I’m not going to shred him for sticking up for himself. But he seemed to indicate that the attempt in question happened earlier, so why did he wait until OT to react?
Everything about Pascal is mild and milquetoast.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I've got nothing to add on Elvis but it was something to see how the Caps stress puck possession and will back out of a play if there's nothing there and start over compared to us who will dump the puck in. Also, I was a little disappointed in OT with Zack coming up the boards and takes a really low percentage shot from a low angle and gives the puck right back. We had to get better shots in OT than what we settled for.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I've got nothing to add on Elvis but it was something to see how the Caps stress puck possession and will back out of a play if there's nothing there and start over compared to us who will dump the puck in. Also, I was a little disappointed in OT with Zack coming up the boards and takes a really low percentage shot from a low angle and gives the puck right back. We had to get better shots in OT than what we settled for.

The Siberian Three are really good at this imo, and one of the reasons they're seeing so much success lately

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
You mean in OT? We dominated possesion during regulation.
In OT it wasnt all bad possession wise. Chinakhov and Johnson arent scared to reset and start another rush

Reactions: We Want Ten

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
I have zero problem with anything Pascal Vincent said last night. He was right. Tom Wilson may be a pain in the ass, but you still have to stay in your shoes. You can’t just flip out over nothing. Besides, Vincent didn’t rip him a new a$$hole; it was a mild, milquetoast criticism.

Now, let me also say that if Elvis genuinely believed that there was an attempt to injure him, I’m not going to shred him for sticking up for himself. But he seemed to indicate that the attempt in question happened earlier, so why did he wait until OT to react?
Yea seemed like a BS excuse. It was a heated game, I'm not mad it happened but Elvis reacted with pure emotion in OT, thats just dumb. As much as "wins don't matter" right now, his team played their ass in front of them and to give it away like that was just immaturity. The rest of the team deserved better.

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
There are moves to be made , especially with Veteran players .. they lack that alpha in the room , and Fantilli is growing into that role , but Laine , Gaudreau, Werenski , aren’t going to spark a room, or say guys let’s roll , follow me type players , and that’s my biggest issue with Jarmo, is the veterans he’s assembled with this youth .
I'd really like to see some of the "leaders" give it to the refs on some of these awful calls. Werenski stood there and said nothing in the captains circle when they told them they were only taking one guy, Vincent too. Unless of course they agreed that it should of only been one guy.

Reactions: KJ Dangler

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus

You mean in OT? We dominated possesion during regulation.
In OT it wasnt all bad possession wise. Chinakhov and Johnson arent scared to reset and start another rush
Interesting. I didn't notice much dump and chase last night at all now that I think about it, and the possession numbers back up what stevo says. As the young players have taken the reins, there's been a major style shift. The Russians and Johnson/Fantilli just don't seem to dump and peel off like Jenner et al. And as a person who despises dump-and-chase Nick Foligno perimeter hockey (I love Nick Foligno dearly but his style drove me bonkers), I notice its absence.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
I'd really like to see some of the "leaders" give it to the refs on some of these awful calls. Werenski stood there and said nothing in the captains circle when they told them they were only taking one guy, Vincent too. Unless of course they agreed that it should have only been one guy.
Because referees are world-renowned for changing calls when they are shown the error of their ways?

When they were explaining the call, you could read Vincent’s lips. He was saying “even it up. Even it up.” Repeatedly.

I know there’s a tendency to always think your team is getting screwed, or to assume Tom Wilson did something dirty, but we deserved to be short handed after that incident.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Understood
But then we should not complain when we lose, right?
the name of the game is to win
you have a 3 on 2 advantage going the other way meaning there is a path to a win in OT
yet we are patting Elvis on the back for pummeling Wilson, which allows Washington a power play and Ovie a chance to score
For me, I am sick and tired of losing so I am pinning this on Elvis for not realizing the situation
But to My fellow fans I say Happy Holidays which I am sure Elvis was saying to Wilson LOL
“We” are not patting Elvis on the back. I am. Some others are too.

But still many others have taken him to task because it put the team in a position to lose as you say. That sucks too and it’s totally fair to lay it at Elvis’ feet.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
I know there’s a tendency to always think your team is getting screwed, or to assume Tom Wilson did something dirty, but we deserved to be short handed after that incident.

If Elvis had just went for his stick it would have been all fine, but no he had to push Wilson back into the net on top of his stick and then start pounding him for being there. Elvis pushed him there. If he wanted the stick, he should have let Wilson out of the way instead of pushing him back in.

Can't have that emotional wreck out there. He found a way to lose

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
If Elvis had just went for his stick it would have been all fine, but no he had to push Wilson back into the net on top of his stick and then start pounding him for being there. Elvis pushed him there. If he wanted the stick, he should have let Wilson out of the way instead of pushing him back in.

The 1st time hes done it and hes an emotional wreck? :laugh:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
He's been known for his emotions getting the best of him, this was the first time he did this particular thing.
Laine lets emotions get the best of him but his is just getting down on himself which hurts his entire line, is that better because its Laine? Its an intense game, emotions run high sometimes, way she goes. Many great goalies are competitive hot heads including some of the best the game has seen. Costing the team a single point (only got to OT because he made a number of huge saves) in an already lost seasn is hardly reason to say hes a hot head we cant have out there

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Laine lets emotions get the best of him but his is just getting down on himself which hurts his entire line, is that better because its Laine? Its an intense game, emotions run high sometimes, way she goes. Many great goalies are competitive hot heads including some of the best the game has seen. Costing the team a single point (only got to OT because he made a number of huge saves) in an already lost seasn is hardly reason to say hes a hot head we cant have out there

Failing to remember any instances where Laine takes a stupid penalty because he's cranky. Can you remind me?

Yes many goalies are hot heads, I wouldn't hire any of them.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Failing to remember any instances where Laine takes a stupid penalty because he's cranky. Can you remind me?

Yes many goalies are hot heads, I wouldn't hire any of them.
depressed or down on ones self is an emotion just like anger and probably more detrimental. Im not looking for Laine taking cranky penalties because I dont care and its irrelevant. My point is there are ranges of emotions and both ends are negative but Id rather a guy I need to reel in from time to time than a guy I have to rev up.

You wouldnt take a Roy, Smith, Hextall, Thomas, Belfour, etc? Id kill for one of those dudes in todays game and on our team. Hell, Korpi was a bit of a hothead and I think most of us would have liked if we could have kept him

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Because referees are world-renowned for changing calls when they are shown the error of their ways?

When they were explaining the call, you could read Vincent’s lips. He was saying “even it up. Even it up.” Repeatedly.

That well may be .. but I guarantee the next time they go to make a call it will be in their mind . And the ones like Pascal that say basically nothing , will continue to be walked on..

I’ve seen many a head coach influence an official .. Tortd did , Hitch , Izzo in basketball , long list .. if you don’t think that influences a game , your wrong

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023

It's more about setting a precedent. Letting the ref know they screwed up is a valid thing,, Vincent hardly ever gets upset. Say what you want about Torts but he always went to war for his teams, it plays a part. This is obviously outside that game, those refs were poor all game and that's not taking into account other games.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
depressed or down on ones self is an emotion just like anger and probably more detrimental. Im not looking for Laine taking cranky penalties because I dont care and its irrelevant. My point is there are ranges of emotions and both ends are negative but Id rather a guy I need to reel in from time to time than a guy I have to rev up.

You wouldnt take a Roy, Smith, Hextall, Thomas, Belfour, etc? Id kill for one of those dudes in todays game and on our team. Hell, Korpi was a bit of a hothead and I think most of us would have liked if we could have kept him

I see Laine frustrated often when he misses shots, breaks a stick in anger (not on ice though because it would be a penalty), I don't really like that either because it's a waste of money for starters. He'll critique his own play harshly when asked about it, that I'm fine with because I'd be the same. But I don't know if I can bring myself to believing he's "playing depressed and hurting the team". Maybe some indirect way, but I'm talking about the emotional outbursts that directly lead to team losing (Gudy and Elvis just lately). I am not for that.

It's a huge business with lots of money and jobs involved, shooting yourself in the foot because you can't handle your emotions is just not my idea of a stable individual. I prefer calm under pressure, I find that provides the best results in almost every situation in life. There's a balance that's required and outbursts like that are off balance because they cost directly.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think folks have this completely backwards. Vincent DID argue with the refs to even it up. And the refs actually gave us a break by not ejecting Elvis for fighting with the blocker.

---------------------------------------​

We have to play Tom Wilson a lot. He's very happy to take a punch to get two points in the standings. It's part of what he gets paid for. Let's not make him happy.

Next time, Guddy or Dmitri can take him on, but that's it. They're the only ones that actually have any chance of deterring him. Everyone else is just encouraging it.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

Agreed. Elvis should have just gone for the stick and made a show about Wilson holding onto his stick. Or just turned his back to the net and blocked Wilson from getting out prompting Wilson to hit him.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Agreed. Elvis should have just gone for the stick and made a show about Wilson holding onto his stick. Or just turned his back to the net and blocked Wilson from getting out prompting Wilson to hit him.

Or he could have run into Wilson and instead of pushing him back into the net, fall to the ice like Wilson hit him. Anything but pushing him where you want to get your stick from. There are smarter approaches available.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00