GDT: Game 34 | Washington Capitals @ Columbus Blue Jackets | 12/21 7PM

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Let me go on record saying if we lose every game against the Capitals next season in overtime because someone took a couple of good shots to Tom Wilson’s face, I am fine with that.

It would be nice to flip the narrative from “oh no, the Jackets have to play Tom Wilson” to “oh no, Tom Wilson has to face the Jackets.”

Listening to local talk radio radio today the sentiments ranged from “You can’t take a penalty and cost your team a game, unless that penalty is against Tom Wilson” to “I’m not the biggest fan of Elvis, but I loved him last night when he was hitting Tom Wilson.”

Reactions: MAHJ71

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Let me go on record saying if we lose every game against the Capitals next season in overtime because someone took a couple of good shots to Tom Wilson’s face, I am fine with that.

It would be nice to flip the narrative from “oh no, the Jackets have to play Tom Wilson” to “oh no, Tom Wilson has to face the Jackets.”

Listening to local talk radio radio today the sentiments ranged from “You can’t take a penalty and cost your team a game, unless that penalty is against Tom Wilson” to “I’m not the biggest fan of Elvis, but I loved him last night when he was hitting Tom Wilson.”

I'm fine with it but you actually have to hurt him bad. Tom Wilson isn't afraid of anyone but Guddy and Dmitri.

Reactions: koteka

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I’d like to add to the conversation something that I promise I’ve wanted to bring up for quite a bit now. Elvis acts ridiculous quite often regarding opposing players around his crease and almost ANY contact he receives from the opposing team.

His reactions often not only increase the odds of the puck subsequently going into the net afterwards, it many times puts his CBJ teammates in odd/unique situations where they are pressured to do (or not do) things in response to his “over the top” reactions to the initial contact.

Very rarely do you see a goalie react in ways that seemingly doesn’t match up with his teammates, as often as it occurs with Elvis. IMO. This puts a legit “strain” on the team, or to put it simply, is just a pain in the ass.

Not to mention his rebound control, staying on top of his crease/angles, and vision on shots through traffic.

#freegreaves

helloconga

Oct 12, 2023
Florida
i watched the elvis interview and noticed that wilson clearly grabbed his head/hit it while elvis was trying to grab his stick. and people calling elvis a liar all over the comments. silly and sad. i’m not even a jackets fan.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
i watched the elvis interview and noticed that wilson clearly grabbed his head/hit it while elvis was trying to grab his stick. and people calling elvis a liar all over the comments. silly and sad. i’m not even a jackets fan.
There’s photos on Facebook of Wilson appearing to slewfoot Elvis in his crease. My guess was this is what fired Elvis up .. Honestly , the CBJ need more guys willing to not be pushovers , aside from Gudbranson ..

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
I’d like to add to the conversation something that I promise I’ve wanted to bring up for quite a bit now. Elvis acts ridiculous quite often regarding opposing players around his crease and almost ANY contact he receives from the opposing team.

His reactions often not only increase the odds of the puck subsequently going into the net afterwards, it many times puts his CBJ teammates in odd/unique situations where they are pressured to do (or not do) things in response to his “over the top” reactions to the initial contact.

Very rarely do you see a goalie react in ways that seemingly doesn’t match up with his teammates, as often as it occurs with Elvis. IMO. This puts a legit “strain” on the team, or to put it simply, is just a pain in the ass.

Not to mention his rebound control, staying on top of his crease/angles, and vision on shots through traffic.

#freegreaves

I’ve been in the crease many times and many years and I understand Elvis on this. Obviously you have never watched Hasek, Roy, Esposito and Smith just to name a few. There’s a lot of slashing, spitting, accusations and poking going on there. What really upset me was the lack of support I thought he should have received from his teammates. There are things that Elvis does I don’t like but this isn’t one of them.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I’ve been in the crease many times and many years and I understand Elvis on this. Obviously you have never watched Hasek, Roy, Esposito and Smith just to name a few. There’s a lot of slashing, spitting, accusations and poking going on there. What really upset me was the lack of support I thought he should have received from his teammates. There are things that Elvis does I don’t like but this isn’t one of them.
This is the main problem with the "team." Gudbranson was left to deal with his issue by himself as well. Maybe the Russians will stick up for each other, but other than Boone, I don't see much of it coming from anywhere else.

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
This is the main problem with the "team." Gudbranson was left to deal with his issue by himself as well. Maybe the Russians will stick up for each other, but other than Boone, I don't see much of it coming from anywhere else.

When I played one thing you never did was mess with the goalie. I’m not saying that other teams didn’t try. Once I stopped a puck and trapped it in a very delicate area, I used my glove to cover the puck but that didn’t stop them from trying to dig it out with their sticks. One of my defensemen knocked one of them on his rear.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
You wouldnt take a Roy, Smith, Hextall, Thomas, Belfour, etc? Id kill for one of those dudes in todays game and on our team. Hell, Korpi was a bit of a hothead and I think most of us would have liked if we could have kept him
Amusingly relevant (well a bit anyway) as Korpi has been visibly frustrated a lot lately, he must've thought he was going to a better defense but it's the same old story of defensive collapses in Ottawa right now:
Rantanen earns PPG late in 2nd (COL-OTT)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad