GDT: Game 30: Avs @ Capitals | Tuesday, December 12th, 5pm MT | No Sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I really disagree with the idea that Girard was bad tonight or that he needs to be sent down. Sent down to junior hockey? Seriously?

I thought the Avs played well for the most part, it was a very different game than we have seen in past years in Washington.

The power play was the difference. Three consecutive power plays and the Avs could not even gain the zone with the puck. Barrie is playing about the worst hockey I have seen in his career.
Yes, junior hockey. Where else? Why should he stay up here and play 10-12 minutes per game with little-to-no PP time? What good does that serve him?

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
The scary thing about Varlamov is that we have nothing in the cupboards.

I would love to see us overhaul the pipeline this summer. Overpay to get one of the best free agents. Trade for Lindgren (my favorite guy around that age who might be available). And draft one of the top goalies with our 2nd round pick.

zzs06

Jul 11, 2017
I think the talk of sending Girard down is crazy. He wasn’t bad tonight either. With his skill level he needs to stay in the nhl and play through the inevitable ups and downs. The kid is going to be a star and he needs to play and learn from his mistakes.

Jost too should stay in my opinion. He hasn’t been nearly as bad as people have been saying and he has actually played 3 pretty good games in a row. Hopefully his goal tonight sparks him a bit more.

This year is the year for these young guys to get their feet wet and learn. Let them all play and play big minutes and roles. It’s how you learn. If this team was competing for a playoff spot it might be different but I think we are a season away from the playoffs. That being the case we need to see what we have with these kids. I say bring Greer up and Kamenev when he is healthy. Hell, they should also bring Bigras back and play him instead of Barbie.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Seems to me that Avs are more limiting Girards minutes because it will help him learn the NHL game than limiting them because they are displeased.

He is struggling a bit to create offense but with limited minutes I guess that's to be expected.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Jost has looked better as of late. Actually looks like he belongs right now.

Made a really nice play to escape the defensive zone in the first period. Went through the legs and kept going.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
I think the talk of sending Girard down is crazy. He wasn’t bad tonight either. With his skill level he needs to stay in the nhl and play through the inevitable ups and downs. The kid is going to be a star and he needs to play and learn from his mistakes.

Jost too should stay in my opinion. He hasn’t been nearly as bad as people have been saying and he has actually played 3 pretty good games in a row. Hopefully his goal tonight sparks him a bit more.

This year is the year for these young guys to get their feet wet and learn. Let them all play and play big minutes and roles. It’s how you learn. If this team was competing for a playoff spot it might be different but I think we are a season away from the playoffs. That being the case we need to see what we have with these kids. I say bring Greer up and Kamenev when he is healthy. Hell, they should also bring Bigras back and play him instead of Barbie.

Jost should be just fine. Jost is the least of my concerns.

Last edited:

NothingLikeAnEJ

Jimmies: Rustled
Jan 24, 2011
I can't even remember the last time Varly stole us a game. At least when we win games now it's not because our goalie had to stand on his head.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Yay! A loss. Every poster please post what we should do to change our lineup rather than keep things in tact and attempt to gain any consistency.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Jost has looked better as of late. Actually looks like he belongs right now.

Made a really nice play to escape the defensive zone in the first period. Went through the legs and kept going.

Jost is a captain material, he is untoucable according to Sakic. Should be our core player in a year or two when we are contenders, no doubt about it.

Reactions: klozge

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Well, Varly's not-great play started it off, and extraordinarily sloppy play finished it off.

Without a doubt the worst game I've seen Landeskog play in a long time. Dude was just awful tonight. MacKinnon did what he could. Rantanen was a little too easy to knock down tonight but I still wouldn't characterize his game as terrible. Just hope he finds his way again and soon.

Yet another solid game from the Wilson-Compher-Ghetto line. Too bad they're the epitome of snakebitten right now but they're doing everything else right.

However, the wheels have really come off the Nieto-Soda-Comeau line. They've been getting torched the past two games, and I'm pretty sure Bednar just plain broke them up once the game started getting away from them.

Other than that it was a lot of nervous, sloppy, turnover-laden play. Shots going wide, errant passes, bobbled pucks galore. If I had a nickel for every time I saw an Avs player (especially Landeskog) fail to corral a long pass I'd...have a lot of nickels.

Jost continues his upward ascension. Keep giving it time.

Methinks it's time to finally end this asinine 7D experiment. Call up Greer and send someone down.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Well, Varly's not-great play started it off, and extraordinarily sloppy play finished it off.

Without a doubt the worst game I've seen Landeskog play in a long time. Dude was just awful tonight. MacKinnon did what he could. Rantanen was a little too easy to knock down tonight but I still wouldn't characterize his game as terrible. Just hope he finds his way again and soon.

Yet another solid game from the Wilson-Compher-Ghetto line. Too bad they're the epitome of snakebitten right now but they're doing everything else right.

However, the wheels have really come off the Nieto-Soda-Comeau line. They've been getting torched the past two games, and I'm pretty sure Bednar just plain broke them up once the game started getting away from them.

Other than that it was a lot of nervous, sloppy, turnover-laden play. Shots going wide, errant passes, bobbled pucks galore. If I had a nickel for every time I saw an Avs player (especially Landeskog) fail to corral a long pass I'd...have a lot of nickels.

Jost continues his upward ascension. Keep giving it time.

Methinks it's time to finally end this asinine 7D experiment. Call up Greer and send someone down.

this

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Girard isnt going back to junior and saying he was bad is way exaggerated.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Landy? He's been great of late in general but he's been terrible tonight.

He played really well away from the puck. Always back checking, takeaways and in position offensively. Rants was my most disappointing player. Weak on the puck, always a hair behind or away from the play and little to no creativity.

He has everything needed to be as good as MacK and can be. But yet he’s just there on the ice.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Girard has been uneven, and far, far less impactful to games for the past couple weeks, but I still don't want him anywhere but here. He needs to adjust his game to the NHL and figure out what he can and cannot get away with, and he cannot do that in juniors. I'm fine with him being sheltered as long as he's able to face NHL speed. I think 10 NHL minutes are way more valuable to him now than 30 minutes in the Q.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Seems to me that Avs are more limiting Girards minutes because it will help him learn the NHL game than limiting them because they are displeased.

He is struggling a bit to create offense but with limited minutes I guess that's to be expected.
They are more limiting his minutes because Bednar's faves Lindholm and Nemeth returned to the lineup. How I wrote the lineup is accurate, Z and Girard are sharing the spot next to EJ. They each were EJs partner for 7 minutes ES tonight. They could easily play Girard more if they wanted to. He suppresses shots and moves the puck. It's mind boggling that they think having the D run like this is helping anyone. Barrie needs to get his shit together too.

Reactions: Arnusson

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I really disliked Barrie, Varly & Landeskog today. Oh well, onto the next one.

Especially Barrie has to pull his head of out his ***.

Jost and Wilson played decently though which was nice to see. EJ was good too. Rantanen had some strong moments to go with meh moments. MacK looked like the best player on the ice for almost the whole game. Just wish people (looking mostly at Landeskog and Rants) could get pucks to him more.

Oh, I forgot to add:

Please fire Bednar. Before next season. Please. We need a better coach.

Last edited:

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
There is no way Avs were gonna win this game. They killed the Caps at home earlier, both teams played back to back, Caps lost their 1st game while Avs won a tough one in Pittsburgh. Caps were the much hungrier team.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Wow was this a brutal game for everyone on the ice. Landy was brutal. Varly was brutal. Refs were brutal. Linesmen were brutal. A bunch of Caps players were pretty brutal. Just an ugly game.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Barrie has been absolutely atrocious lately. He's not even playing like a top-4 guy right now.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah Barrie has been a train wreck for a long time now.

Didn't think Girard was very good last night and hasn't for a while either. The decreased minutes are deserving for him. I also thought Mackinnon was pretty bad last night honestly. Not creating much offensively and seemed lazy Defensively as well.

I think going with 11 forwards is causing Mack to get too many minutes. He played over 22 minutes against the Pens on Monday and then 21 last night against the Caps. Seems like a tough task to be playing 20+ a night as a forward right now when we're playing at least every 2nd night.

Too bad because I think with our current Defense and offense the better option is 11 forwards and 7 Dmen but I dont think we have the Center depth to be able to really roll 3 forwards and thus Mack gets too many double shifted minutes which is taking away from the quality of his shifts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino