GDT: Game 30: Avs @ Capitals | Tuesday, December 12th, 5pm MT | No Sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
He plays PP2 and his consistent partner is EJ, he just shares EJ with Z. And yeah, if the crystal ball says it's going to be like this forever is one thing but things change.
He doesn't consistently play PP2. Yeah, sure, things change but just like the crystal ball doesn't say Nemeth or EJ will get injured as a certainty. If this defence does in fact stay healthy, he's not going to get many minutes.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
So.. which one should we pick, Dave Tippett or Darryl Sutter? Maybe Trotz will be out of job if Caps can't get anything done in the playoffs. I can dream right?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Nathan Mackinnon, Tyson Barrie and (arguably) Nikita Zadorov have all at one point or another played the best hockey of their careers this season under Jared Bednar. EJ has also looked the best he has since he got hurt at the all star break in 2015. The careers of Soderberg and Comeau also seem to be back on the right track. It's probably not fair to place all that success on the coach, but it would be equally unfair to put the negatives on him.

I may have been the one who originally built the "fire Bednar" wagon. I wanted no part of that man being anywhere near the team this year. But I'm giving him lots of credit this year and that isn't going to stop just yet. There are lots of things I'd like to see him do differently, but my opinion of him is completely different than it was a few months ago.

The players speak very highly of him and he has a history of doing well with youth which is showing well this year. He isn't our coach of the future, but as weird as it sounds I think he's a great coach to lose with.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Like it or not but Bednar isn't going anywhere this season. I'm pretty sure that all of you "experts" have better hockey knowledge than he has but it is what it is (to quote the boring one).

And Girard gets the Zadorov treatment atm - limited minutes until he figures sh!t out. Looks like it worked for Zad and i'm pretty sure it will work for Girard too. 10min NHL time paired with a guy like EJ vs. 25min Junior hockey paired with an 18year old nobody ... i'll take that 10min every time.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Like it or not but Bednar isn't going anywhere this season. I'm pretty sure that all of you "experts" have better hockey knowledge than he has but it is what it is (to quote the boring one).

And Girard gets the Zadorov treatment atm - limited minutes until he figures sh!t out. Looks like it worked for Zad and i'm pretty sure it will work for Girard too. 10min NHL time paired with a guy like EJ vs. 25min Junior hockey paired with an 18year old nobody ... i'll take that 10min every time.

It doesn't take an expert to recognize a bad coach that is underperforming. Sorry you "homers" are blind to reality.

100+ games and our defense and goaltending are just as bad as the day he got here. Basically the same group the previous coach, who most considered bad, had giving up a lot less goals.

Regardless of what people think about his decisions with guys like Z, the results speak for themselves.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
So.. which one should we pick, Dave Tippett or Darryl Sutter? Maybe Trotz will be out of job if Caps can't get anything done in the playoffs. I can dream right?

Tippett is known for being horrendous at handling young players.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
While I hope the Avs pursue any and all avenues to improve themselves, I'm not pulling for an in-season firing, nor am I anywhere near the "Fire Bednar" wagon which I'm pretty sure never went away, but whatever. I am resigned to the fact that he will be fired but that decision will happen during the offseason. I hope Bennett is retained at least, but I'm rather ambivalent on Pratt thus far.

Of all the available coaches (or who might be available) I'd rather the Avs not hire Tippett or Sutter. They know what kind of team they want to be and those two guys don't fit. Trotz I think is better able to make adjustments but I also don't think he'll be available--Washington's going to keep him.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
How ppl can actually blame Bednar for our bad goaltending is beyond me. For our D maybe - but for our goalies?
But in my experience haters gonna hate no matter what. And i get that. Atm i hate Varly with all my heart and everybody who thinks differently (i'm looking at you Ryker - yeah YOU) has to be on drugs or something.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Tippett is known for being horrendous at handling young players.

Well yeah, Coyotes fans complained about him a lot during his last years there so fair point. I'd still hire him next summer if Bednar is goner.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah, a head coach and the system he runs has nothing to do with getting the best out of your goalie. No correlation between goalie performance and head coach at all. (Sarcasm)

As for the D? Just "maybe"? Seriously? What exactly is the head coach to blame for when it's not going good? Does a head coach deserve no credit for the good as well, or is it just the bad that passes over him?

And you want to talk about haters gonna hate? lol. It's just simply the truth. The numbers are the same as last year. Funny how pointing that fact turns you into a hater.

We can separate a goalie's individual performance from the defensive system played in front of him. Just because the team hasn't done a good job of limiting chances doesn't mean Varly hasn't been letting in some bad goals.

The organization hired a guy who was basically hand-picked by the goalie himself to become the team's first-ever full-time goalie coach. Bednar had virtually nothing to do with that hire.

There are plenty of reasons to hate on Bednar, this isn't one of them. In fact, I agree the defensive system and some aspects of their current offensive tactics deserve a ton of scrutiny. But the goaltending or lack thereof is not on him.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
So mods, explain why my post was deleted but not the post I was respoding to in which I am straight up called a hater simply for stating an opinion? Exactly what did I say that warranted deletion, but not that post which is a direct violation of the rules (name calling, attacking the person instead of the opinion/fact in this case)? If someone is allowed to call me and others who think the same haters then I should be allowed to respond in kind. Where exactly did I cross the line so I don't say that again? Was it being sarcastic? Maybe the handful of questions I asked wondering where blame and credit starts for a head coach? Or was it the part where I point out how he is being a hater by getting upset and taking little jabs at those who shared an opinion?

And for the love of everything you deem holy, why do you protect these narrowminded people who feel the need to troll and make childish personal attacks simply because they don't like an opinion?

We can separate a goalie's individual performance from the defensive system played in front of him. Just because the team hasn't done a good job of limiting chances doesn't mean Varly hasn't been letting in some bad goals.

The organization hired a guy who was basically hand-picked by the goalie himself to become the team's first-ever full-time goalie coach. Bednar had virtually nothing to do with that hire.

There are plenty of reasons to hate on Bednar, this isn't one of them. In fact, I agree the defensive system and some aspects of their current offensive tactics deserve a ton of scrutiny. But the goaltending or lack thereof is not on him.
Of course Varly has let in some bad goals. I didn't say its all Bednar's fault. To act like his crap system hasn't hurt their play though isn't fair imo. Bednar, Sakic, Parkilla, the goalies themselves, their teammates, everyone plays their part.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
There was a new honeymoon for some earlier this season. Bednar is a horrific coach... completely incapable of adjusting.

I still can't believe I ever argued anything dfferently.

Nathan Mackinnon, Tyson Barrie and (arguably) Nikita Zadorov have all at one point or another played the best hockey of their careers this season under Jared Bednar. EJ has also looked the best he has since he got hurt at the all star break in 2015. The careers of Soderberg and Comeau also seem to be back on the right track. It's probably not fair to place all that success on the coach, but it would be equally unfair to put the negatives on him.

I may have been the one who originally built the "fire Bednar" wagon. I wanted no part of that man being anywhere near the team this year. But I'm giving him lots of credit this year and that isn't going to stop just yet. There are lots of things I'd like to see him do differently, but my opinion of him is completely different than it was a few months ago.

The players speak very highly of him and he has a history of doing well with youth which is showing well this year. He isn't our coach of the future, but as weird as it sounds I think he's a great coach to lose with.

Notice how a lot of that can easily be contributed to adding a offensive coach with 20+ years working with playoff teams?

I think Bennett had the right impact on Bednar, but once this team struggled a bit, I think Bednar is back to cracking that whip.

While I hope the Avs pursue any and all avenues to improve themselves, I'm not pulling for an in-season firing, nor am I anywhere near the "Fire Bednar" wagon which I'm pretty sure never went away, but whatever. I am resigned to the fact that he will be fired but that decision will happen during the offseason. I hope Bennett is retained at least, but I'm rather ambivalent on Pratt thus far.

Of all the available coaches (or who might be available) I'd rather the Avs not hire Tippett or Sutter. They know what kind of team they want to be and those two guys don't fit. Trotz I think is better able to make adjustments but I also don't think he'll be available--Washington's going to keep him.

I would be perfectly fine with Bennett as an interim coach. I agree with you though on those coaches. They can't keep trying to build a fast offensive team and hiring these extreme defensive minded coaches.

I'm still hoping Q becomes available lol.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
At what point do people stop complaining about a coach? I mean this team has won with a mediocre coach like Bob Hartley because they had a good roster, but couldn't win anything with coach Q because they simply didn't have the roster to win.

It's the same with Bednar, whether he's a good coach or not, Avs don't have a roster to win yet. They wouldn't be a playoff team last year or this year even if they had Mike Babcock or Scotty Bowman behind the bench.

You need a winning roster to win, a coach is just there to guide the team through.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
At what point do people stop complaining about a coach? I mean this team has won with a mediocre coach like Bob Hartley because they had a good roster, but couldn't win anything with coach Q because they simply didn't have the roster to win.

It's the same with Bednar, whether he's a good coach or not, Avs don't have a roster to win yet. They wouldn't be a playoff team last year or this year even if they had Mike Babcock or Scotty Bowman behind the bench.

You need a winning roster to win, a coach is just there to guide the team through.

Tell that to Dan Bylsma's Penguins vs Mike Sullivan's Penguins.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada

What a f***ing dumb cherry pick of a thing to say. Bob Hartley had Patrick Roy in net and a peak Forsberg, Sakic, Blake, Foote, etc. Q had no goaltending and an aging roster. What the f*** are you doing comparing both of them to Bednar, those two are actual proven NHL coaches.

Why are you arguing about stupid shit like the coach is just there to guide the roster. This isn't the 80s. There are thin margins between teams. Coaching is the biggest way to overcome those margins? You think the Leafs are doing as well as they are or even make the playoffs last year without Babcock? Or the Pens suddenly win the cup after playing like shit without Sullivan? Or the Blues start playing elite hockey without Yeo? Or the Kings have a sudden bounceback despite the same roster without a coaching change?

I'm not saying that our team is good to begin with but we don't have a 48 point season if we have a decent coach and we probably do better than we are doing now without Bednar. Ironically, Bob Hartley would have been a better hire.

I can't believe how dumb some people are if they don't see the value in having the best coaching possible in the salary cap era. There's no cap on coaches, if the guy isn't doing well or looks like he's lost the team or never did well to begin with then hire a new one till you get the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->